• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Breastfeeding Support & Tips

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Sharing and Learning from Breastfeeding Experiences

This thread is for expecting and existing breastfeeding mothers to share their experiences, ask questions, and learn from others who have been through similar situations. Discuss topics such as latching difficulties, nipple pain, engorgement, and supply issues, as well as tips on positioning, frequency, and combining with bottle-feeding if necessary.

Common breast-related issues to discuss in more detail:

* Initial difficulty and how to resolve it
* Signs of effective suck and swallow
* Managing nipple soreness and pain
* Frequent feeding compared to occasional feeding
* Managing a successful transition from EBF (exclusively breastfeeding) to mixed-feeding or bottle-feeding when necessary

General Breastfeeding Tips:

* Understanding infant cues for hunger and fullness
* Proper positioning and latch on demand
* How often to feed, including at night
* Expressing and storing breast milk for future use

I've been exclusively breastfeeding my baby since birth, but had some trouble with latching initially. My lactation consultant recommended I try skin-to-skin contact and a more relaxed position to help my baby find her latch. Now everything seems to be working fine, though I do sometimes experience nipple pain after a long feeding session. Has anyone else encountered this issue and found a way to mitigate it?.

I had similar issues with nipple soreness early on when I first started breastfeeding. My lactation consultant suggested using Lanolin nipple cream before and after feeds to help protect my nipples and make them more resilient. It seemed to work for me, but I'd recommend talking it through with your consultant again because I'm sure they'll have the best advice tailored to you!.

Do keep in mind that nipple soreness might be normal initially, especially when getting latched into a groove. However, if it persists or becomes severe, there are other factors like positioning, baby's latch, or possible issues like thrush, that could be worth exploring with your LC for their guidance on the best course of action to help alleviate any discomfort or pain you might experience.

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer
I also had issues with nipple soreness early on, but found relief using a nipple shield. They're kind of like soft, thin inserts that fit over your nipple to help reduce friction and pressure. It might take some getting used to, but I've heard some mums find it really helpful.

It's still really important to talk this through with your LC, though - they can assess if there are other underlying issues or if a shield is the right choice for you. But for me, personally, it was a game-changer when I first started having trouble with sore nipples.

Reactions: sunnydays

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu