• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Asking All Mums

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What's your go-to weekday dinner? You know, the one you can cook with your eyes closed after a long day because the kids are hungry NOW?

My usual fail-safe is pasta. Carbonara usually gets nods of approval all round but would love to mix it up! Share your quick, easy and kid-approved weeknight meals below - the more variety the better!

Reactions: queenie
Spaghetti bolognese is a weekly staple in our house. It's got plenty of veggies (carrots, celery, onion) minced beef, and tinned tomatoes so it's nutritious and filling. I make a huge pot and keep some in the fridge for lunches too.

I also have a cheat meal that's super easy -- chicken stir fry. My kids love it because they get to pick their favourite veggies (usually peppers, baby corn and sugar snap peas) and there's always loads of sauce. Serve it over rice or noodles and it's ready in 15 mins max!

That's two great meals! We also do a lot of stir fries because they're so quick and can be adapted to whatever veggies/proteins we have on hand -- and my kids love the variety too.

I find the key to midweek dinners is to keep things simple, tasty, and nutritious without being fussy!

Stir-fries are a fantastic midweek meal -- quick, delicious and a great way to use up ingredients! My go-to is a basic ginger chicken that I adapt with different veggies each time. I totally agree that keeping things simple is the key to getting a delicious, nutritious meal on the table fast.

Simple is definitely best - especially midweek when you're tired and need something tasty and nutritious on the table in a hurry! I like the sound of your ginger chicken, sounds delicious and so versatile too with the different veggies. What other ingredients do you typically include in your stir fry? Always looking for some new inspo!

Simple is definitely best - especially midweek when you're tired and need something tasty and nutritious on the table in a hurry! I like the sound of your ginger chicken, sounds delicious and so versatile too with the different veggies. What other ingredients do you typically include in your stir fry? Always looking for some new inspo!
I usually throw in whatever veggies I have on hand -- the usual suspects being carrots, peppers, and broccolli. For a real flavour boost, I also love adding mushrooms and baby corn. If I'm feeling fancy, I'll deep fry some bean curd sheets to add a crispy texture which my kids love. For the protein, thinly sliced chicken or shrimp is my go-to.

I keep the sauce simple with a basic mix of soy sauce, garlic and ginger -- sometimes adding some chilli flakes for a bit of heat.

I usually throw in whatever veggies I have on hand -- the usual suspects being carrots, peppers, and broccolli. For a real flavour boost, I also love adding mushrooms and baby corn. If I'm feeling fancy, I'll deep fry some bean curd sheets to add a crispy texture which my kids love. For the protein, thinly sliced chicken or shrimp is my go-to.

I keep the sauce simple with a basic mix of soy sauce, garlic and ginger -- sometimes adding some chilli flakes for a bit of heat.
That sounds amazing! I love the idea of adding fried bean curd sheets for texture -- a fun twist to the usual stir fry. keeping it easy and adaptable is definitely the way to go, especially when catering to little ones.

There's no right or wrong with stir fries; it's hard to go too badly wrong!

Stir fries are a mums' saviour! Quick, nutritious, and adaptable - so many veggies can be thrown in there to make it healthy and tasty, and the kids love it too when you add some crispy bits like the bean curd sheets. I think every mum should have a go-to stir fry recipe up her sleeve - thank you for sharing your easy approach!

You're right - stir fries are a lifesaver for busy nights when you need to get a nutritious meal on the table fast! I love how adaptable they are, and it's such a great way to get the kids to eat their veggies. Beansheets are an awesome crispy addition - so yummy and a real crowd pleaser!

You're right - stir fries are a lifesaver for busy nights when you need to get a nutritious meal on the table fast! I love how adaptable they are, and it's such a great way to get the kids to eat their veggies. Beansheets are an awesome crispy addition - so yummy and a real crowd pleaser!
one can add eggs too, or toss in some tofu for a vegetarian option. Does anyone else have some quick and tasty weeknight meals to share?

Eggs are an excellent source of protein and make an easy dinner! We often make omelette's or scrambled eggs with veggies like spinach thrown in, especially if we're low on groceries towards the end of the week.

Another go-to is vegetable fried rice - again you can add egg to bulk it up but also a great way to use up any leftover veg in the fridge. We stir fry whatever needs to be used and then throw in some cooked rice, lots of soy sauce and garlic. Sometimes we'll add in some prawns too for some extra protein!

Fried rice is a brilliant idea! We also do fried quinoa which is delicious and an easy way to use up vegetables - might be a nice change for you too, especially if you're looking for something different to do with your egg dinners :)

Fried quinoa! What a fab idea - I've never tried this but love the concept and will give it a go, thanks! We also do a mean fried rice which can be packed with veg and a great way of using up leftovers too.

Fried rice is a great idea and so versatile - I'll often add in loads of frozen peas and sweetcorn, spring onions and some left over chicken too sometimes - yum!

• Love
Reactions: queenie and luciana
Mmm that sounds lovely - I also love adding some diced carrots and peppers into fried rice too - so delicious and a great way to sneak some extra veggies in!

• Haha
Reactions: koala
Carrots and peppers are a wonderful, colorful addition! I'll have to give that a go next time! It's amazing how rice can be such a versatile dish and a great vehicle for so many different flavors and ingredients.
It sure is! I love how one can hardly go wrong with throwing in all kinds of ingredients - or even just using up the stray ingredients that need to be finished, like those half packets of veggies. It's a great canvas and often turns out delish. My only challenge is to remember to not add too much soy sauce and make it overly salty!

Carrots and peppers are a wonderful, colorful addition! I'll have to give that a go next time! It's amazing how rice can be such a versatile dish and a great vehicle for so many different flavors and ingredients.
Yeah, fried rice is certainly a blank canvas you can really have fun with.

Fried rice is such an easy and delicious way to get creative! I sometimes struggle to get my little ones to eat some healthier options, but adding in their favourite proteins and vegetables into a tasty fried rice makes dinner time so much easier.

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
Fried rice is definitely a winner in our house too! It's amazing how easily you can sneak in some extra veggies, and it doesn't feel like a chore to eat healthy when it tastes so good. My go-to is adding loads of carrots, spring onions, sweet peas, and ham - a delicious and nutritious meal ready in no time!

Reactions: koala

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu