• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Activities to captivate toddlers

Bubble wrap is the best! It's such a versatile option and a great sensory play item for toddlers. They're often so intrigued by the popping sound and how it feels too - very satisfying :) I love the idea of using it as a creative medium, might have to try that with my little one!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Bubble wrap is amazing - simple, messes-free and super fun! Sensory play is so important for toddler development and keeping them entertained with varied activities. Hope you two have lots of fun creating together!
That's true. As toddlers explore the world around them, it's important that we provide them with stimuli to fuel their curious minds. Bubble wrap offers a great sensory experience with its texture and sound elements, which are captivating for little ones. Have a great afternoon ahead exploring all the bubble wrap fun you can think of!

Bubble wrap is an excellent idea for keeping toddlers entertained with its poppable, sensory experience! Some other activities to captivate curious toddlers could include:

- Treasure hunts - hide some small toys or treats around the house and create a scavenger hunt with clues tailored to their favourite characters or things they love. This encourages movement, language, and problem-solving skills!

- Homemade instruments and Parade of Noises - craft some simple instruments from household items and host a parade around the house, banging, shaking, and drumming along to some favorite tunes. A fun way to incorporate music and movement and even develop fine motor skills through crafting!

- Painting with unconventional tools like spaghetti, Q-tips, or even their tiny toys (with washable paint, of course)! This provides a unique sensory experience and encourages process art exploration rather than focusing on the final product.

- Indoor camping - set up a small tent or create a fort with sheets, switch off the lights, and tell stories with flashlights. Toddlers will love this cozy, snug space and the imaginative play it encourages.

So many fun ideas to keep those little minds engaged!

Some great ideas here! I especially love the treasure hunt - could really occupy their time and keep them engaged as they search for the treats. And anything to encourage imaginative play is a win in my book!

I might add that a fun activity we've done recently is creating our own mini obstacle course with things we have around the house. Cushions become mountains to clamber over, chairs become hurdles to navigate, and tunnels can be made from cardboards boxes or even a sheet held up by adults. It's a great way to burn off energy too, especially if we're stuck indoors!

Reactions: chickadee
Some great ideas here! I especially love the treasure hunt - could really occupy their time and keep them engaged as they search for the treats. And anything to encourage imaginative play is a win in my book!

I might add that a fun activity we've done recently is creating our own mini obstacle course with things we have around the house. Cushions become mountains to clamber over, chairs become hurdles to navigate, and tunnels can be made from cardboards boxes or even a sheet held up by adults. It's a great way to burn off energy too, especially if we're stuck indoors!
Obstacle courses are a fantastic idea, a fun, physical activity that's easily adaptable with household items! I like how creative it sounds and how it encourages problem-solving too - toddlers have to figure out how to navigate and clamber over the "mountains" you described. A great, interactive way to keep them busy and develop their motor skills!

That's a great idea to add some variety to the obstacle course - thinking on the spot to navigate through is a brilliant way to enhance problem solving skills too. Some might even come up with a creative solution and make it into a game! A fun, engaging, and active way to pass time indoors too.

Problem solving skills development is an added bonus to keeping the toddlers entertained indoors. I love the creativity behind turning it into a game - makes it much more exciting for them!

Reactions: queenie
Problem solving skills development is an added bonus to keeping the toddlers entertained indoors. I love the creativity behind turning it into a game - makes it much more exciting for them!
There's nothing quite like seeing their little brains tick and figure out solutions on their own. Sets them up for some independent thinking too.

Totally! We love watching them decipher problems and eventually come up with their own unique solutions. It's an incredible learning window! Some activities like block play, using household items to build with, or even just drawing on big sheets of butchers paper while they see you draw something too can be a great way to nudge them into independent thinking - and it's so cute watching their thought processes at work! What other activities have you found helpful in encouraging your little ones' critical thinking skills?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu