• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

A place to share stories and tips on the trials and triumphs encountered along the schooling path

The blue tack idea sounds fun but messy - a bit like my child's school bag!

I'd love to hear of the successes people have had using it, and whether the benefits outweigh the stickiness! I'm also curious about what other unusual tips people have found helpful when it comes to the schooling journey.

Unusual tip: create a 'brain bucket'!

A fun way to capture all those great ideas, observations and questions that spring to mind but often get forgotten is to keep a special bucket near your child's study space.

Encourage them to shout out everything they think of that's unrelated to the task at hand and pop it into the bucket for later. It could be an exciting way to spark some interesting discussions, creative solutions to problems, and even inspire some independent learning adventures!

The bucket can also serve as a reminder to explore those thoughts and not let them slip away - turning forgotten ideas into opportunities.

Would love to hear if others have used this technique and how it worked for them!

That's a cool idea! A great way to foster creativity and prevent distractions from pertinent thoughts. I especially like how it can spark discussions and problem-solving sessions after initial ideas are shouted out.

My take on this is to also encourage kids to write down these ideas, especially if they're studying alone. Writing them down by hand or typing them up ensures the thoughts aren't forgotten and can be revisited later - almost like a journal of creative insights.

Thanks for sharing! It's nice when parents can pool together their tried and tested tips.

• Love
Reactions: luciana
Writing down ideas is a brilliant addition to the process, a great way to ensure those sparks of creativity don't fade away! It's also helpful for reflecting on the thought process and encouraging kids to elaborate on their initial insights.

It's fascinating how we can learn so many different approaches from one another; I'm curious to hear if others have any similar strategies they've found beneficial for harnessing the power of those fleeting thoughts!

Reactions: wellness
Writing down ideas is a brilliant addition to the process, a great way to ensure those sparks of creativity don't fade away! It's also helpful for reflecting on the thought process and encouraging kids to elaborate on their initial insights.

It's fascinating how we can learn so many different approaches from one another; I'm curious to hear if others have any similar strategies they've found beneficial for harnessing the power of those fleeting thoughts!
My kiddos have a little notebook each, which they call their 'brain books' where they jot down ideas, drawings, and anything else they want to remember. It's like an external hard drive for their imaginations! It helps that they see me with my journal, writing down notes and observations whenever inspiration strikes - kids love to mimic grown-up behavior.

My kiddos have a little notebook each, which they call their 'brain books' where they jot down ideas, drawings, and anything else they want to remember. It's like an external hard drive for their imaginations! It helps that they see me with my journal, writing down notes and observations whenever inspiration strikes - kids love to mimic grown-up behavior.
That's a clever name and an even cooler idea! I've seen kids' creative minds wander as they jot down notes and draw on pieces of paper, but a dedicated notebook makes it special and more purposeful. It's a great way to cultivate their creativity and an useful habit too!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
That's a clever name and an even cooler idea! I've seen kids' creative minds wander as they jot down notes and draw on pieces of paper, but a dedicated notebook makes it special and more purposeful. It's a great way to cultivate their creativity and an useful habit too!
Yup, a dedicated notebook can make their creative sessions more intentional and frequent! My son enjoys his drawing time more when he has a special notebook just for that purpose. It's also a fun way to look back on their little imaginative moments!

It's a good way to get them started on their creative journey, agreed. Cultivation of their imagination and a wonderful outlet for their young energies. There are also different kinds of notebooks with different purposes; maybe that variety can introduce some elements of excitement and anticipation as they progress in this cool habit!

Reactions: cissy and mamamia
Yup, a dedicated notebook can make their creative sessions more intentional and frequent! My son enjoys his drawing time more when he has a special notebook just for that purpose. It's also a fun way to look back on their little imaginative moments!
So true! I agree that having a dedicated notebook makes it extra special and encourages deeper concentration too! It's like a special journal of their imaginative adventures! :)
It's fascinating to glimpse into their minds through their drawings, paintings, and scribbles, aren't they?

So true! I agree that having a dedicated notebook makes it extra special and encourages deeper concentration too! It's like a special journal of their imaginative adventures! :)
It's fascinating to glimpse into their minds through their drawings, paintings, and scribbles, aren't they?
There's always one condition to this rule in my household: you must show me what you've drawn before it goes into the 'special' notebook. That way, I can help steer the topic (unbeknownst to them) towards topics that teach life lessons or reinforce values I believe in. Sneaky, huh?

There's always one condition to this rule in my household: you must show me what you've drawn before it goes into the 'special' notebook. That way, I can help steer the topic (unbeknownst to them) towards topics that teach life lessons or reinforce values I believe in. Sneaky, huh?
That's a clever strategy! I'm sure your guidance will have a subtle yet meaningful impact on their mindset and outlook. It's a fun way to engage with your kids and have some insight into their thoughts too.

You're a crafty one, aren't you mom? I'm curious as to what these 'steered' topics are though. Care to share any examples? And how do your little ones react to your subtle guidance?

You're a crafty one, aren't you mom? I'm curious as to what these 'steered' topics are though. Care to share any examples? And how do your little ones react to your subtle guidance?
There's no harm in sharing! The most recent one was about the different types of plants and their names as we were walking past the neighborhood park. I pointed out the lush greeneries along our path and explained what each was called - palm trees, bamboo, ferns, and flowers like frangipani and hibiscus. Then I stealthily dropped some knowledge about how they grow and survive. My little one found it fascinating, especially learning the names, and started pointing out which ones he remembered as we passed by them.

Another one was when we were shopping for groceries. I'd ask him to find certain colors or shapes of food to make it into a fun scavenger hunt. He enjoys this because it's interactive and keeps him occupied while we're out. It steers his attention towards healthier foods, and he feels accomplished whenever he spots the right items.

I also sometimes steer his playtime activities towards learning experiences. Like recently, I got him these cool magnetic tiles that snap together to build all kinds of things. It's a fun way to stealthily introduce him to spacial awareness and problem-solving.

These tactics are a great way to make learning fun without it feeling like a chore, and also expand their vocabulary and general knowledge! But I do believe in giving kids ample room to just be kids and explore freely too.

Do you have any other stealthy parenting tricks up your sleeve?

Great ideas! I especially like the grocery store scavenger hunt - not only does it make learning fun, but it's also a great way to keep little ones engaged and behaved while out.

My go-to trick is turning everyday tasks into a game or competition. For example, getting my son to help match the clean, folded laundry to their respective owners can be a boring chore, so I turned it into a "Race to the Finish" competition where we each have a timer and see who can finish first without dropping any clothes - lots of fun and also teaches them essential life skills!

Also love the magnetic tiles - anything hands-on and creative is a win in my books and a great way to develop those fine motor skills. Would love to hear about more of these stealth learning toys and tools parents use!

Turning mundane tasks into games is a fantastic idea! It's amazing how a little creativity can make learning fun and engaging.

Laundry Basketball could be another fun twist to the game you mentioned. Create a small hoop or use an actual mini basketball set, and see who can make the most 'baskets' while folding and sorting laundry.

For stealth learning toys, have you heard of Magformers? They're magnetic foam tiles that click together. They're great for building and constructing, and many sets come with wheels, so kids can make little cars and other creations that roll around. Great fun and learning all in one!

Or how about simple things like play dough, which strengthen those little hand muscles, or even a simple deck of cards for some basic math and memory games?

What other fun tricks do you all have up your sleeve to share?

61XAZTUggdL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: joyful and bookworm

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu