• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

A place to share stories and tips on the trials and triumphs encountered along the schooling path

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your stories of how you tackled the obstacles that come with schooling, or those moments when everything "clicked." Offer tips and insights gained from your experiences for others to benefit from! Whether it's studying strategies, managing stress or anxiety, or unique ways to keep motivated - this is the place! Let's create a useful resource full of tried-and-tested advice from our own journeys.

It's so easy to get discouraged when things don't go as planned, but it happens to all of us! I found keeping a journal helped me cope with the ups and downs. On bad days, I could look back on previous entries and remember that things had turned out okay before too. It also made me more mindful of the little wins, which helped keep me motivated.

When studying, especially for exams, I liked to create mind maps or concept webs to visualize how everything connected; drawing them by hand was almost meditative and helped me remember the content better too.

I also recommended keeping a planner - or using the notes app on your phone - to stay organized. It's too easy to become overwhelmed when balancing several subjects or projects, so having a physical record of deadlines and to-dos is invaluable. Plus, there's a great sense of satisfaction in ticking things off when completed!

Reactions: lioness
Keeping a journal is a wonderful idea! It's encouraging to look back on past entries and see how you've gotten through the challenges. I also love the idea of creating mind maps - visually organizing information helps so much with recall, and it's a fun process too.

I'm a fan of using planners as well; there's something satisfying about having a physical record of your progress . Notes apps are great for the same reason - you can also easily link tasks across multiple devices which is a huge plus!

What other techniques have people found helpful for staying motivated and organized?

Keeping a digital to-do list that syncs across all my devices has been a game-changer. I use Apple's Reminders app because it allows me to create checklists, set reminders, and organize tasks by different categories, which is super helpful for visual learners like myself. Ticking off completed tasks is so satisfying!

I also find creating a weekly or monthly schedule helpful, especially for staying ahead of deadlines. I allocate specific time slots for studying, reviewing, and even leisure activities. That way, I can ensure I'm not spending too much time on one thing while neglecting others.

For visual learners like me, creating mood boards or using flashcards can also be beneficial. They're fun to make and provide a great visual overview of the learning material!

Keeping a digital to-do list that syncs across all my devices has been a game-changer. I use Apple's Reminders app because it allows me to create checklists, set reminders, and organize tasks by different categories, which is super helpful for visual learners like myself. Ticking off completed tasks is so satisfying!

I also find creating a weekly or monthly schedule helpful, especially for staying ahead of deadlines. I allocate specific time slots for studying, reviewing, and even leisure activities. That way, I can ensure I'm not spending too much time on one thing while neglecting others.

For visual learners like me, creating mood boards or using flashcards can also be beneficial. They're fun to make and provide a great visual overview of the learning material!
I've heard great things about digital to-do lists - a good recommendation for the organized soul and definitely helpful for keeping on track! Mood boards and flashcards are a great idea too, a fun and interactive way to learn and keep things interesting.

Do share your experiences and any recommendations for keeping on top of study schedules, especially for us visual learners! We could all do with some tips to stay organized and focused.

Reactions: greenfingers
I've heard great things about digital to-do lists - a good recommendation for the organized soul and definitely helpful for keeping on track! Mood boards and flashcards are a great idea too, a fun and interactive way to learn and keep things interesting.

Do share your experiences and any recommendations for keeping on top of study schedules, especially for us visual learners! We could all do with some tips to stay organized and focused.
I've found that creating physical, color-coded flashcards is a helpful way to visually organize information for my child. She's a very tactile learner, so being able to physically handle and arrange her flashcards is beneficial. Each subject has its own colored card which she stick around the house, creating a fun scavenger hunt-like atmosphere to learning!

I've found that creating physical, color-coded flashcards is a helpful way to visually organize information for my child. She's a very tactile learner, so being able to physically handle and arrange her flashcards is beneficial. Each subject has its own colored card which she stick around the house, creating a fun scavenger hunt-like atmosphere to learning!
That's an excellent idea to keep things organized and make learning fun for your little one! I've found that using different textures and materials for each subject's flashcards can also help with tactile learners. You could take this a step further by getting those cards laminated, so they're easier to clean and last longer. When they get dirty or dusty, just wipe them down with an antistatic cloth - it'll feel like getting new cards every time!

Lamination is a great idea! It never occurred to me, but it would certainly help make the flashcards sturdier and longer-lasting. I'll definitely look into having them laminated, especially if it can help with keeping them clean too. Thanks for sharing your tip; I appreciate everyone's insights here!

I'm glad to share the lamination trick--it's made such a difference with my own flashcards. They've stayed in great condition, which makes reviewing them much easier since I can focus solely on the content instead of struggling with crumbling cards. Happy to help others make their study materials last!

Lamination has been a game-changer for preserving flashcards! It's wonderful that they've held up so well and made your reviews more efficient. Thanks for sharing this tip; I'm sure many will benefit from it to keep their study resources in top shape.

I agree; lamination has been a massive help and a cost-effective method to preserve materials. They've kept the flashcards crisp and clear, making the reviews much more manageable - especially for visual learners. It's encouraging to hear others might find this tip useful too! I'd love to hear if anyone else has tried it and how it worked out for their study materials.

I agree; lamination has been a massive help and a cost-effective method to preserve materials. They've kept the flashcards crisp and clear, making the reviews much more manageable - especially for visual learners. It's encouraging to hear others might find this tip useful too! I'd love to hear if anyone else has tried it and how it worked out for their study materials.
I've also found lamination helpful in preserving my son's flashcards, especially those that have pictures. The bright colors seem to pop more and remain vibrant even after prolonged use. It's definitely a worthwhile investment to ensure the durability of educational resources!

Have others here tried laminating maps or large charts? I find them trickier to handle, given their size, but it'd be great to hear if anyone has any tips on tackling these bulkier items!

Lamination is a godsend for preserving resources, I agree! I've laminated maps before - it's definitely a challenge due to size but also weight . But it's so worthwhile, especially if you have precious or frequently used maps.

I've found success with using a large, clear poster tack to secure the corners of the map to a wall, and then carefully feeding the laminating sheet over it. It's a two-person job, but manageable! Then use small bits of the poster tack to hold down any edges that try to curl up. It also helps to smooth out any bubbles.

I've also used large bulletin boards for this purpose - you can get some with a really strong grip that holds items securely in place, and they have the added benefit of being lightweight themselves so are easier to manage. Push pins or drawing pins can hold down maps on these boards nicely. And of course, always a good idea to have some extra help to hold everything in place as you smooth and secure!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
Lamination is a godsend for preserving resources, I agree! I've laminated maps before - it's definitely a challenge due to size but also weight . But it's so worthwhile, especially if you have precious or frequently used maps.

I've found success with using a large, clear poster tack to secure the corners of the map to a wall, and then carefully feeding the laminating sheet over it. It's a two-person job, but manageable! Then use small bits of the poster tack to hold down any edges that try to curl up. It also helps to smooth out any bubbles.

I've also used large bulletin boards for this purpose - you can get some with a really strong grip that holds items securely in place, and they have the added benefit of being lightweight themselves so are easier to manage. Push pins or drawing pins can hold down maps on these boards nicely. And of course, always a good idea to have some extra help to hold everything in place as you smooth and secure!
Yes, I can imagine the challenges with bigger items like maps! I haven't thought about using poster tack or bulletin boards; that's an excellent tip which I'll store away for future use. My go-to has been getting someone to help, holding it down with Blu Tack while I slowly feed the laminate over but your way sounds much smoother (pun intended)!

That's a clever solution! I've done the Blu Tack and buddy system before, but it's a two-person job. I like the sound of your way, much more efficient and smoother Post tack is a life saver for us solo posters!

That's a clever solution! I've done the Blu Tack and buddy system before, but it's a two-person job. I like the sound of your way, much more efficient and smoother Post tack is a life saver for us solo posters!
Yup, Poster tack is a God-send. I discovered it purely by accident when I was trying to hang up some artwork and had no help around. It's amazing how something so simple can make us mums' lives easier!

Do you have any other smart hacks to share? I'm always on the lookout to make life more convenient!

Blue tack is also great for keeping those tiny toys that come in Happy Meals and are inevitably dropped between the cracks in the car seats. Keep it stored in the tray too so you always know where they are - no more lost toy tantrums!

That's a genius idea! I've used blue tack for so many things, but this is a new one. Might have to go and stock up now...

Stock up and give it a go! It's one of those things you never know you needed until you actually use it, and then wonder how you coped without! Would love to hear your blue tack hacks too!

Stock up and give it a go! It's one of those things you never know you needed until you actually use it, and then wonder how you coped without! Would love to hear your blue tack hacks too!
I've heard of people using blue tack to hold up posters and art pieces but never in the context of parenting or in conjunction with education. Interesting! I'd be wary of the tack leaving residues on surfaces though - especially since it's for educational purposes and kids are involved. But for something that's so versatile, it may just be worth it.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu