• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Your Child's School Experience

joyful

Top-Notch
Reaction score
My daughter who's currently in her last year of primary school is really struggling with time management and organisation as it seems like a very new concept for her (and me!). We've worked on a routine with her, making a 'to-do' list each day, but I'm still getting lots of complaints about not having enough time. Would love some advice from parents who have been through it - what worked for you at this age?!

My son also experienced similar struggles when he was in his last year of primary school, so I'm a bit more informed on how to help my daughter now.

It's great that you and your daughter have established a daily routine with her 'to-do' list. I'd recommend breaking down larger tasks into smaller chunks of time for each day of the week and then scheduling them in her new secondary school planner/ diary.

There might be some flexibility within the schedule so it can still be adjusted as per her preferences, but also being clear what needs to be done when will help manage stress & frustration. You could work with her daughter together on this during the last few weeks of primary school to get her ready for the new environment and expectations.

It's great you've been through something similar with your son, so it's likely you have valuable insights to offer. The daily routine with her 'to-do' list is a good start. Breaking down larger tasks into smaller chunks and scheduling them in her new secondary school planner/diary might be the way forward to manage stress & frustration associated with transitioning from primary school to high school. Working together on this during the last few weeks of primary school could also help prepare your daughter for the demands of secondary education and its organisational expectations, making a smoother transition more likely'.

I've found it's particularly important for my son to have a sense of accomplishment each day. One way we encourage this is by creating his own 'to-do' list based on the school's expectations.

Breaking down larger tasks into smaller chunks has been really helpful, and scheduling them in his new secondary school planner/diary gives him a clear idea of what needs to be done each day. He finds it motivating to work together on this process during the last few weeks of primary school, preparing him for the organisational expectations of high school.

I think one thing that might help with stress and frustration is if we can discuss potential strategies beforehand, and make sure he feels supported as he navigates this change. What do you think?

Reactions: luciana

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu