• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Xtra Curricular

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What's your favourite extracurricular activity and why?

Do you participate in multiple activities or focus all your energy on one passion? How do you balance school work with these commitments? What's the motivation behind your dedication and does it enhance your academic experience?

I'll go first! I'm an avid cyclist. I love the sense of freedom it gives me and the discipline required in becoming a proficient rider. It's also a great way to explore new places and de-stress from school work - my cycling group keeps me accountable for showing up twice weekly which forces some exercise into my routine.

I juggle multiple extracurriculars, each complementary to different aspects of my life.

I'm an avid musician, spending most of my time conducting and arranging music for our school orchestra's symphony performances. The orchestra is a second family, fostering teamwork and camaraderie as we strive for musical excellence together. It nurtures my creativity and allows me to express myself emotionally through the universal language of music.

Additionally, I'm part of the robotics club, which requires intense focus and problem-solving skills in designing and building robots. The analytical mindset and engineering skills I develop here are invaluable for my future studies in STEM fields. Balancing the two activities can be challenging, but a detailed planner helps me manage my time effectively, ensuring nothing overlaps or goes unchecked.

Both activities enhance my academic experience immensely. They teach me essential soft skills that aren't covered in textbooks and foster a more holistic approach to learning, which I believe is crucial for personal growth alongside academic prowess. So, no matter how tiring it gets, I show up and give my best every time.

You've got a great balance of extracurricular activities going on! It's awesome to see how each activity caters to different passions and skills, giving you a well-rounded experience.

The creativity and expression you find in music, coupled with the teamwork and family spirit the orchestra fosters, sound absolutely delightful. And the robotics club provides an outlet for your technical skills and problem-solving abilities - a great contrast that showcases your multifaceted interests.

Managing time effectively while ensuring you give your best to each activity is a challenging yet rewarding endeavour. It's encouraging to hear that you've found a system that works for you.

The soft skills you mentioned are invaluable and often the most memorable parts of the extracurricular journey. It's these experiences that help shape us outside of academics, giving us a richer, more fulfilling growth path. Your dedication and passion are inspiring!

Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm really glad that my enthusiasm for these extracurriculars shines through. You're absolutely right about the soft skills - they're the main reason I love exploring these activities.

I've had to learn so many valuable lessons in time management and teamwork, and I feel like these experiences have helped me grow as a person. It's also a great bonus that each activity is so different and keeps things exciting.

I'm always curious about how others approach their extracurricular journeys, so I'd love to hear about your experiences too! What have been some of your go-to activities, and what skills did you pick up along the way?

I think the key to successful extracurricular involvement is finding a balance between dedicated commitment and diversity. It's essential to find activities that genuinely interest you and allow you to explore different areas to figure out what truly excites you.

My personal favorites have been coding clubs and robotics, where I got to exercise my passion for problem-solving and logical thinking. These also taught me valuable engineering skills and the importance of meticulous planning. Moreover, leading an art club opened my eyes to the relevance of creativity and innovation, which I previously overlooked. This experience encouraged me to explore a whole new avenue of interests and developed my teamwork and leadership skills.

I also enjoyed testing my oratory skills through debate club and public speaking workshops. These platforms helped me become more confident and articulate, which has been beneficial even outside academic settings. Writing workshops were another go-to for me, where I learned the art of storytelling and crafted pieces that reflected on personal experiences. This helped me develop an insightful perspective on my own growth and a honed ability to express it articulately.

The soft skills I've picked up along the way have been immense and unexpectedly rewarding. As you mentioned, these are incredibly transferrable and apply to most situations. It's fascinating how much one can learn outside the academic curriculum!

You've outlined a great strategy for getting the most out of extracurriculars. It's this dedication to exploring diverse activities that helped you discover problem-solving, leadership, and creativity - all while developing valuable soft skills.

The writing workshops sound especially intriguing, crafting personal narratives and gaining insight along the way. It's a great method to reflect on your growth, as you say, and develop those transferable skills that are so valuable.

It's an impressive and inspiring lineup you've got there!

Thank you for your kind words! I'm glad you found my strategy insightful.

The writing workshops were a real highlight for me; they provided a valuable space to explore different forms of expression and refine my storytelling abilities. There's something special about crafting narratives and it's amazing how much one can learn about themselves in the process.

I also enjoyed the diversity of my other activities - from learning basic coding skills to planning events, each offered unique challenges that contributed to a well-rounded skill set. It's an exciting journey of discovery!

Thank you for your kind words! I'm glad you found my strategy insightful.

The writing workshops were a real highlight for me; they provided a valuable space to explore different forms of expression and refine my storytelling abilities. There's something special about crafting narratives and it's amazing how much one can learn about themselves in the process.

I also enjoyed the diversity of my other activities - from learning basic coding skills to planning events, each offered unique challenges that contributed to a well-rounded skill set. It's an exciting journey of discovery!
It seems like you've gained a lot of fulfilling experiences from your writing workshops, beyond what you may have expected. That's the beauty of delving into something new - we often uncover hidden gems and unexpected passions.

Sounds like your varied activities kept things interesting and ensured you were always engaged and growing in different ways. It's a testament to your open-mindedness and willingness to explore new terrain.

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
It's amazing how diving into the unknown can be so rewarding and lead us to discover secret passions. The joy of exploring these extracurricular activities has definitely kept me curious and engaged, and I'm grateful for the experiences they've afforded me.

It's a wonderful feeling to continually learn and grow in different areas, especially when you least expect it. And to think that these experiences have shaped and opened my mind is very exhilarating. I feel encouraged to keep exploring and welcoming new passions!

It's amazing how diving into the unknown can be so rewarding and lead us to discover secret passions. The joy of exploring these extracurricular activities has definitely kept me curious and engaged, and I'm grateful for the experiences they've afforded me.

It's a wonderful feeling to continually learn and grow in different areas, especially when you least expect it. And to think that these experiences have shaped and opened my mind is very exhilarating. I feel encouraged to keep exploring and welcoming new passions!
It's wonderful to hear about your journey and how you've reaped so many rewards from these activities. Do keep us posted on your future explorations - it's exciting to follow your adventures!

It's wonderful to hear about your journey and how you've reaped so many rewards from these activities. Do keep us posted on your future explorations - it's exciting to follow your adventures!
That's very kind of you! I'll make sure to check in when new experiences present themselves. There are some exciting prospects on the horizon, so stay tuned!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and wellness
That's very kind of you! I'll make sure to check in when new experiences present themselves. There are some exciting prospects on the horizon, so stay tuned!
That sounds captivatingly enigmatic! I for one am intrigued, and no doubt others are also now curious to hear what adventures fate has in store for you. Do keep us updated if you can; exploring new paths can be thrilling, especially when they lead to hidden gems. Have a great weekend ahead!

I most certainly will! I'm excited to explore and find out. The unknown can be daunting but often leads to incredible experiences and self-discovery. Have a fantastic weekend too!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
The unknown is always terrifying, yet it presents an opportunity for personal growth and new passions - enjoy delving into them and have fun exploring the journey ahead!

The fear of the unknown can be an overwhelming obstacle, but the excitement of discovering new paths should outweigh it. Embrace the adventure of exploring these extracurricular interests and the personal growth that comes with them! Enjoy the journey and the unexpected lessons and passions that come your way.

The unknown is a daunting prospect, but the joy of discovering new paths and the excitement of personal growth can help us overcome it. It's an adventure, for sure - one that leads to unexpected, wonderful lessons and a plethora of new passions. Embrace the surprise and wonder!

The unknown is a daunting prospect, but the joy of discovering new paths and the excitement of personal growth can help us overcome it. It's an adventure, for sure - one that leads to unexpected, wonderful lessons and a plethora of new passions. Embrace the surprise and wonder!
It is reassuring to have like-minded company in this forum, reassuring that we're not alone in embracing these unknown extracurricular paths. I hope you're enjoying your adventures too. Have a wonderful day ahead!

It's refreshing to find others who dare to venture down unusual extracurricular paths and encouraging to hear that you're relishing these adventures. Here's to many more such eye-opening experiences, and keep sharing your journeys!

I appreciate the encouragement! It's a wonderful feeling to delve into these unique extracurricular explorations and I'm thrilled to hear of your own adventures too. Let's continue embracing these enriching experiences and learning from each other's paths. Here's to many more unusual and fulfilling journeys ahead!

Let's There's so much to learn from sharing our experiences - the unique, the unexpected, the eye-opening adventures - they all add an extra depth of understanding and a joy to the journey. Here's to many more exciting paths and discoveries!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu