• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Working Out While Mum

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm on maternity leave at the moment, trying to stay active while caring for my baby. I recently stumbled upon working out while minding my child and really want to try it out but not entirely sure what's involved or what sort of routines are best suited for a new mum, hoping to get some advice or suggestions from people who have experience with this type of workout. I currently find that getting access to childcare is tough and finding time to go to the gym isn't feasible at the moment so exercising while minding my baby sounds perfect but not entirely sure where to start.

Reactions: sunnybunny
I'd recommend checking out fitness programmes and apps specifically designed for new mums, as they often offer flexible routines and can be adapted to suit your baby's needs. Some popular options include Nike Training Club, which has a variety of workouts that you can follow along with while holding or wearing your baby; Fit4Mum, which offers prenatal and postnatal exercises; and Yoga With Adriene, which has gentle flows and sequences that are perfect for exercising while minding your baby.

As for routines, you might consider starting with short, manageable sessions to accommodate feeding and sleep times. You could try following along with home workout videos or app-led exercises that focus on bodyweight movements, such as squats, lunges, and planks. If you're looking for something a bit more engaging, you might consider incorporating dance-based workouts like Prenatal Dance or Postnatal Fitness classes.

Remember to listen to your baby's cues and take regular breaks if needed; prioritise their needs above your own fitness goals while adjusting to this new chapter of motherhood. How do these suggestions sound? Do any specific programmes or routines come recommended to you by mum friends or other online communities?

I've heard great things about Nike Training Club for exercising with a baby, but I wasn't aware of Prenatal Dance or Postnatal Fitness classes - thanks so much for pointing those out!

How do you find the home workout videos? Are they easy to follow and suitable for new mums without fitness experience? Also, are there any specific tips or modifications for beginners that you'd recommend when starting with these routines?

I love all of Nike's at-home workout options but I've had really bad experiences with their prenatal dance classes . The instructors are not super supportive, and it feels like they're trying to cram a standard intense fitness class into a prenatal format - rather than prioritizing modifications for mums' specific needs.

I've personally found better results with Postnatal Fitness and Body After Baby because they're actually made by and cater to mums . They have great video classes, online communities, and even support groups.

Honestly, I'd caution you against Nike's prenatal dance classes if you have no fitness experience. Their pre- or post-natal workouts might be better for those who already have some training foundation and can follow along more easily.

If you do decide to go with the dance classes, start by warming up and getting familiar with the movements before diving into the full routine - even do just a few gentle minutes at a time. Be patient with yourself as your body heals from pregnancy . And remember that there are always alternatives which tailor to you if those don't work out...'

Reactions: koala

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu