• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Wholesome Tots

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Thread: Wholesome Tots
Forum: Nutrition and Feeding

Some nutritious and fun ideas for wholesome toddler meals!

It can be tricky to come up with new, exciting meals for little ones, so I thought it would be fun to share some healthy, balanced foods that your toddlers enjoy. Hopefully we can give each other some inspiration!

My little one loves these adorable mini chicken and veggie meatballs. They're a great source of protein and are easy for her to pick up and eat with her tiny hands, plus they're baked not fried so I don't feel bad about any extras! I serve them with some dip - currently she's into sweet potato puree, but yogurt or apple sauce is great too.

What are some of your go-to, nutritious meals for your tot?

Thread: Wholesome Tots
Forum: Nutrition and Feeding

Some nutritious and fun ideas for wholesome toddler meals!

It can be tricky to come up with new, exciting meals for little ones, so I thought it would be fun to share some healthy, balanced foods that your toddlers enjoy. Hopefully we can give each other some inspiration!

My little one loves these adorable mini chicken and veggie meatballs. They're a great source of protein and are easy for her to pick up and eat with her tiny hands, plus they're baked not fried so I don't feel bad about any extras! I serve them with some dip - currently she's into sweet potato puree, but yogurt or apple sauce is great too.

What are some of your go-to, nutritious meals for your tot?
Baked salmon fish fingers are a staple in our house. My kiddo also loves quiche, especially when I switch up the fillings and aromas. Recently, I've been adding some minced chicken into the mix, which bumps up the protein content even more!

Reactions: wellness
Baked salmon fish fingers are a staple in our house. My kiddo also loves quiche, especially when I switch up the fillings and aromas. Recently, I've been adding some minced chicken into the mix, which bumps up the protein content even more!
Minced chicken is a great, versatile addition to many dishes to boost that protein content! I bet it smellsdelicious too!

Minced chicken is a great, versatile addition to many dishes to boost that protein content! I bet it smellsdelicious too!
Oh yes, especially when you cook it with some fragrant spices! You can also use ground turkey or beef for a change in taste and texture. It's an easy way to keep meals interesting and nutritious without much extra effort.

Yum, that sounds delicious! I like how versatile this recipe is - an easy way to switch things up while keeping the prep simple. What are some of your favorite spices to use? I'm always looking for new flavor combinations!

I love playing around with spices too - it's an easy way to make the same recipe feel completely different! For these tots, I really enjoy the warmth of cinnamon and a good pinch of garlic powder, but sometimes switch it up with some smoked paprika for a savoury kick.

I love playing around with spices too - it's an easy way to make the same recipe feel completely different! For these tots, I really enjoy the warmth of cinnamon and a good pinch of garlic powder, but sometimes switch it up with some smoked paprika for a savoury kick.
Smoked paprika would be a nice switch up! Might be interesting to try a sweet & smoky flavor profile with some brown sugar too.

Reactions: bananarama
Smoked paprika would be a nice switch up! Might be interesting to try a sweet & smoky flavor profile with some brown sugar too.
The sweet and smoky flavors are a tasty toddler-friendly option. I'd recommend using papaya or mangoes to add a natural sweetness, a great healthy alternative to brown sugar which could be a choking hazard for young kids. Avoid overly spicy foods, of course, but a gentle kick never hurt anybody!

Great fruit suggestions! I'd also recommend bananas - their natural sweetness is always a win with the toddlers in my life and they're so easy to prepare and pack for on-the-go meals too. Some mild spiciness could be fun - perhaps some gentle cinnamon heat or a touch of ginger?

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Great fruit suggestions! I'd also recommend bananas - their natural sweetness is always a win with the toddlers in my life and they're so easy to prepare and pack for on-the-go meals too. Some mild spiciness could be fun - perhaps some gentle cinnamon heat or a touch of ginger?
Bananas are a great hit among toddlers for their sweetness, and they are a convenient go-to fruit option for packed meals. Ginger is an interesting suggestion - its natural warmth and subtle spice could be an enjoyable, mild sensory experience for little ones, and it pairs well with many fruits.

Bananas are a favorite among the little ones! And you're right about the ginger too - it's a wonderful ingredient to introduce some varied textures and flavors to toddlers. The warmth of ginger can help stimulate their senses and introduce them to the wonderful world of spices.

It's exciting to think of the adventures we can offer their palates with carefully curated, wholesome foods!

Reactions: chickadee
That's true, it's amazing how exposing toddlers to different flavors and textures can help develop their taste buds! We as parents/caregivers have the exciting opportunity to foster healthy eating habits and introduce them to the delights of diverse cuisines and ingredients - what a fun adventure!

The banana is such a great first food - it's soft, easy to eat, mess-free, and packed with nutrients. And there are so many ways to prepare it too! Sliced, mashed, or as a fun frozen treat, it's a versatile fruit that keeps the little ones happy.

It's also wonderful to hear that ginger is working well as an introduction to spices. I find that gradual exposure helps desensitize sensitive palates and expands their food preferences - a great strategy for encouraging adventurous eaters!

What other foods have worked well in tempting tiny taste buds? Any flavor surprises or favorites?

It's incredible how you can help shape their culinary preferences from an early age!

Bananas are a brilliant first food and also a fantastic source of potassium. Avocados have also been a hit with our little ones. They're soft, creamy, and full of healthy fats - a great base for introducing Mexican flavors like a mild guacamole or even just a healthy dip for veggies.

Our little Food Network fans seem to appreciate the simplicity of fruits too, especially berries of all kinds, which are colorful, juicy, and sweet. We've also found that steamed, soft vegetables like carrots and sweet potatoes are a hit, perhaps due to their naturally sweet flavors.

Some parents also report success with introducing garlic early on - apparently, it adds a wonderful depth of flavor to pureed meals without being too overpowering for delicate taste buds. It's fascinating how these early experiences can shape future preferences!

Great insights! It's amazing how much our kids' food preferences can be influenced from an early age. We've also found fruits and soft veggies to be a hit with our little ones too - their natural sweetness seems to be a real winner. And it's fun watching them enjoy the different colors and textures.

We've been careful not to go too crazy with garlic or other strong flavors, but it's great to know that they can add depth to meals without being overpowering. It's definitely encouraging to think that these early experiences will help shape healthier food choices down the line!

It's fantastic that your little ones enjoy their fruits and veggies - a great win for any parent!

You're so right about the influence we have on their young palates; it's amazing how these early experiences can shape their food preferences later in life - let's hope it sticks with them!

Keep us posted on any other fun foods that your tots enjoy. It's always helpful to hear what works for others and their little ones too.

It's fantastic that your little ones enjoy their fruits and veggies - a great win for any parent!

You're so right about the influence we have on their young palates; it's amazing how these early experiences can shape their food preferences later in life - let's hope it sticks with them!

Keep us posted on any other fun foods that your tots enjoy. It's always helpful to hear what works for others and their little ones too.
Will do! My tot has a surprising love for mushrooms, the fancier varieties especially - shiitake and oyster mushrooms are her favorites! I'm curious to see if anyone else's children also share this quirky tastebud!

Yeah, I'm glad they aren't fussy eaters; it is a relief, considering the horror stories you hear from other parents! I'll let you guys know if there are any other healthy snacks my kids love.

Reactions: sunnydays

I certainly will! As parents, we're always happy when our kids enjoy healthy food options. It makes our jobs easier! And you're so right; it's encouraging how our little ones' eating habits are shaped during these formative years.

One fun activity I do with my class is a weekly "Fruit and Vegetable Guess." I bring in a mysterious fruit or veggie, and the children take turns guessing its name by sight and touch, then we slice it up and taste it together. It's amazing to see their curious minds at work, and it might inspire other mummies and teachers!

Reactions: chickadee
Will do! My tot has a surprising love for mushrooms, the fancier varieties especially - shiitake and oyster mushrooms are her favorites! I'm curious to see if anyone else's children also share this quirky tastebud!
My elder son loves mushrooms too, fresh or cooked. He says they look like little umbrellas and their texture is fun to bite into.

Reactions: techsavvy
Yeah, I'm glad they aren't fussy eaters; it is a relief, considering the horror stories you hear from other parents! I'll let you guys know if there are any other healthy snacks my kids love.
That's great news! It's certainly a blessing when kids aren't finicky about their food. Do share if you find any eco-friendly, kid-friendly recipes!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu