• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

What's the Best Baby Kit?

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I hope you can help! We're expecting our first little one and would love to know what your essential baby gear recommendations are for the first few weeks.

We have a never-ending list of things we need to get, but are wondering what the most useful items were for all you new parents out there. Any must-haves that made those early days easier, or any gadgets you wish you had never bothered with? We want to keep things simple, but are also keen to be prepared!

What were your top three essential items and why? And is there anything you wish you'd known about that might not be obvious?

1) Muslin cloths - they're super versatile! Great for mopping up milk, burping baby, and also good to swaddle.

2) A nose sucker/bulb thing - might seem like a weird one, but those things are a LIFESAVER when your baby has a cold and is all blocked up. Way better than the electrical ones in my opinion because you have more control and they're less scary for baby. We also found the humidifier helpful too during cold season.

3) A good, ergonomic baby carrier. We found one that distributes baby's weight well so it doesn't hurt your back, and it was a godsend for hands-free parenting when our little one wanted to be held ALL THE TIME. Great for going on walks too without needing a pushchair/stroller.

Honourable mentions go to:
- Those little nail scissors - they're the only way I dared trim my baby's talons!
- A wrap/sling - great for keeping baby close and content, leaving your hands free, plus helping with the fourth trimester feels of them wanting to be held all the time. But practice how to tie it beforehand because figuring it out with a screaming potato is not fun!
- White noise machine/app - helps replicate the womb and can be a lifesaver for settling. We also found it helpful to have a white noise machine in the room for night feeds, so we didn't fully wake the baby (or ourselves) when moving around.

Hope you find it helpful and congratulations!! So exciting!

Thank you for the recommendations! I would also add a bouncy chair/rocker - great for keeping baby elevated which is good for reflux and also has an entertaining toy bar. We found it a useful place to put baby down when we needed hands free for a moment.

And agree on the nail scissors - so much easier than standard nail clippers!

Thank you for the recommendations! I would also add a bouncy chair/rocker - great for keeping baby elevated which is good for reflux and also has an entertaining toy bar. We found it a useful place to put baby down when we needed hands free for a moment.

And agree on the nail scissors - so much easier than standard nail clippers!
The bouncy chair/rocker is a great addition to have! My kids loved their time in it, and it was a safe space for me to place them while attending to other things. It's also a nice, cozy spot for baby naps :) As for nail scissors, they were a godsend during my kids' wiggly tot stages!

A bouncy chair is definitely a useful item to have, providing a safe and cozy space for the baby. And yes, those nail scissors are a lifesaver during the wiggly tot stages! They grow and learn fast, so having a good pair comes in handy for those quick manicures.

A bouncy chair is definitely a useful item to have, providing a safe and cozy space for the baby. And yes, those nail scissors are a lifesaver during the wiggly tot stages! They grow and learn fast, so having a good pair comes in handy for those quick manicures.
Yes, I totally agree that investing in a good bouncy chair is worth it! Something cozy and safe gives peace of mind, plus it's a bonus if it looks aesthetically pleasing too. And oh gosh, those nail scissors! They're such a mom essential for tiny toddler nails.

I second the recommendation for bouncy chairs, they're a godsend for tiring out active babies and giving mummies a much-needed break too! As babies are so tiny, it's easier to clip their tiny talons with special nail scissors made for the job.

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Yes, I totally agree that investing in a good bouncy chair is worth it! Something cozy and safe gives peace of mind, plus it's a bonus if it looks aesthetically pleasing too. And oh gosh, those nail scissors! They're such a mom essential for tiny toddler nails.
Those scissored are a godsend because they're so tiny and manageable. I remember struggling with regular scissors to clip my kid's nails when she was a newborn. Also, that bouncy chair sounds like a good find! Comfortable, safe, and stylish - a great recommendation for new parents!

Those little scissors really come in handy, especially with newborns. The nails are so tiny, you need something manageable like that to avoid any accidents. And I'm glad you found the chair recommendation useful! It's always good to hear about things that worked for others - it can be such a minefield!

Little scissors are a must-have! We used them for our firstborn's entire infancy stage, they're just so practical and safer too. The chair worked out well for us too, it was a godsend especially because our little one could eat mess free - saved so much cleaning time!

Those scissors are a lifesaver! We wouldn’t want baby’s delicate fingers getting hurt as they explore all those new sensations and textures. And mess-free feeding is every parent's dream! What chair do you have, any recommendations on which brand/type to look out for?

For chairs, we found the IKEA ANTILOP high chair really useful - it's lightweight and easy to clean (which is a huge bonus when everything seems to spill!). It's also really affordable which is great because it might not be something baby will use too long. We got one with a safety harness which was a godsend when our little one was learning to sit up as it gave us peace of mind that they wouldn't topple over.

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
For chairs, we found the IKEA ANTILOP high chair really useful - it's lightweight and easy to clean (which is a huge bonus when everything seems to spill!). It's also really affordable which is great because it might not be something baby will use too long. We got one with a safety harness which was a godsend when our little one was learning to sit up as it gave us peace of mind that they wouldn't topple over.
The ANTILOP sounds like a handy find! Light and easy to clean, plus affordable - those traits are hard to come by in baby gear. The safety harness is a thoughtful addition too, especially for little ones learning to sit up. It's great to hear your experience with it!

The Antilop is super handy and has been a godsend for its affordability and lightweight design - a rare find The safety harness really helps give some peace of mind during those early, wobbly months too. I'm so glad we found it - it's held up exceptionally well and has been a consistent favorite over the years. Can't recommend it enough!

Reactions: mamamia
The Antilop sounds like an amazing find - especially helpful for new parents looking for something lightweight yet durable. Thanks for sharing! Would you mind elaborating on some of its other stand-out features? I'm intrigued by how versatile it must be, and how well it held up over the years. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

• Haha
Reactions: luciana and lioness
The Antilop is one of those hidden gems that really come in handy for new parents because of how lightweight it is - moving it around the house or taking it along when you travel isn't a hassle at all. It's also incredibly sturdy and held up well even after years of use. My personal favorite feature has to be its versatility; the chair has three recline positions and two different tray attachments - one for eating and one that's smaller which is great for playing or arts and crafts. And as any parent will know, being able to adjust the recline position and have a play area attached makes it so much easier to manage meal times!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
The Antilop sounds like a fantastic option - lightweight and sturdy, with practical features that make mealtime easier on parents. The tray attachments especially seem like a ingenious idea!

Does it have any drawbacks compared to other high chairs, or is it a straight win? I'm curious if there's anything specific that could be improved upon for future designs.

Reactions: musical
The Antilop sounds like a fantastic option - lightweight and sturdy, with practical features that make mealtime easier on parents. The tray attachments especially seem like a ingenious idea!

Does it have any drawbacks compared to other high chairs, or is it a straight win? I'm curious if there's anything specific that could be improved upon for future designs.
The Antilop may seem nearly perfect for its affordability and practicality, but some might see the lack of recline options as a drawback, especially for younger infants who can't sit up on their own yet. The hard plastic seat might not be very comfortable too, although it's easy to wipe down. Some might prefer a softer, more cushioned seat that's more forgiving for longer meal times.

Perhaps future designs could offer an attachable cushion or an add-on that allows reclining, to make the high chair even more versatile for babies of different ages. You know, sometimes baby wants to nap on the high chair too, so a recline function could be useful! But these additions might compromise the whole appeal of the Antilop - a simple, lightweight design priced affordablely within most people's reach.

So yup, can't have it all! Would a potential cushion attachment make it too bulky anyway? Not sure if that'll defeat the entire purpose of its current sleekness and minimalist charm.

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm

The Antilop high chair's main downside is probably its bulkiness despite being lightweight, which can make it cumbersome to bring along unless you're driving somewhere. It's also not the most attractive or stylish piece of furniture, but function wins out over form here! Some parents might appreciate a touch more cushion padding for their little ones, as the seat can be a bit hard.

Good point! It's a trade-off - the lightweight aspect is a big plus, but the bulk could be an issue for those without ample space or on the go. As for the padding, that's an interesting insight too; sounds like adding a cushion could be a simple tweak to enhance comfort. Thanks for sharing your experience with the Antilop!

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu