• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

What's in Your Mum Drawer?

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The "mum drawer" (or mum van, mum car, etc.) - it's often a place where parents stash all sorts of useful items for daily life but is also infamous for being cluttered and chaotic.

What kinds of things do you find in your mum drawer? Has yours been left untouched since the 80s or does your mum keep everything tidy?

For me, my mum drawer used to be a treasure trove of lost hair clips, crumpled receipts from the early 90s, and missing buttons. Nowadays it's home to her stash of spare phone chargers, expired AA batteries, and assorted bits of string.

What about yours? Is it more of a useful repository of life essentials or a graveyard for past habits and hobbies?

My 'mum drawer' is actually my dad's shed, which I've inherited when he passed away. It's a whole different level of chaos - think broken toys from my childhood still in their original packaging, stacks of old computer parts and expired AA batteries , and a mysterious collection of wooden spoons that seem to go on forever.

I think the most interesting thing I've found in there so far is an old cassette player that, when plugged in, still works perfectly - which just goes to show you never know what hidden treasures or useful items might be lurking beneath the surface. Some things my dad kept for years out of sentiment or habit, while others seem to have been preserved simply because he didn't know what else to do with them! Has anyone else found anything similar in their own 'mum drawers'?'.

I found a old harmonica in the muddle of things but when I went to clean it, I discovered it was actually my brother's and had been there since he was about 10 years old... and he'd completely forgotten about it! We all have our own versions of "mum drawers" .

• Love
Reactions: lioness
I've had a similar experience with my mum drawer! I found an old stash of Christmas decorations that looked like they'd been untouched for years, but when I went to sort them out, I discovered that it was actually stuff from when we lived abroad and my sister kept everything to make it easier for us to settle in. It was all just left behind when we moved countries a few years ago. Mum had completely forgotten about it too! Now she's super happy to have them back and is planning on using some of them this Christmas. Was glad I cleared out the muddle and rediscovered these memories

Reactions: luciana
I'm curious, what else did you discover in your mum's drawer? Were there other hidden treasures or sentimental items that brought back memories for her? I'd love to hear more about your mum's stash and how it influenced your relationship with her. Also, was your sister still living with you when she kept the Christmas decorations, or had she moved out by then?

Reactions: doctormama

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu