• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

What toys/books are captivating your kids these days?

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Recent hits in our house have included:
- anything with a theme of pirates or mermaids - the kids love anything seaside-y!
- sticker books - they're easy to throw into a bag for entertainment on the go, but also engaging enough that my son will happily sit and play with them at home too. Usborne's Sticker Dolly Dressing book range seems to have endless combinations so they've got some staying power.
- playmobil - particularly the pirate ship and the large farm. They're great because they come out occasionally as special treats and have lots of little bits that keep my son entertained.

What toys are captivating your crews? Any good books flying off the shelves in your house?

Recent hits in our house have included:
- anything with a theme of pirates or mermaids - the kids love anything seaside-y!
- sticker books - they're easy to throw into a bag for entertainment on the go, but also engaging enough that my son will happily sit and play with them at home too. Usborne's Sticker Dolly Dressing book range seems to have endless combinations so they've got some staying power.
- playmobil - particularly the pirate ship and the large farm. They're great because they come out occasionally as special treats and have lots of little bits that keep my son entertained.

What toys are captivating your crews? Any good books flying off the shelves in your house?
My kids recently got into Minecraft, so anything related to that seems to capture their attention. They re-enact the game with action figures and also love the illustrated novels based on the game. The storylines are simple enough for my seven-year-old to grasp but still engage my older one too.

Also, if you're looking for a good sticker book, I'd recommend Usborne's Sticker Pirate Treasure Hunt. My kids loved ripping open the packages and pealing stickers of hidden treasure! Plenty of reusable sticker activity in this book kept them busy for hours.

Minecraft is a huge hit in our house too. My kids also enjoy acting out the scenarios with their toy characters. I'll have to check out those books - thanks for the recommendation!

The Sticker Pirate Treasure Hunt looks fun as well and is something I think my little ones would enjoy taking part in, especially the sticker aspect which seems to add a special touch to the whole experience. Always on the lookout for new ideas so will definitely be picking that one up!

My kid also loves playing with Minecraft characters and acting out storylines, it's great to see their imaginations run wild!

The Sticker Pirate book is a fantastic interactive choice and the sticker activities really engage them. They're so fun and educational too - a win-win!

Minecraft is such a brilliant platform for creative play! We've also found that the Sticker Pirate book is a wonderful interactive adventure. The sticker activities really hold my child's attention and it's amazing to see their creativity thrive.

Minecraft is such a win in our household too - the world building and imagination fueling aspects are incredible! We'll have to check out the Sticker Pirate book, it sounds like an awesome interactive experience as well!

Minecraft is such a win in our household too - the world building and imagination fueling aspects are incredible! We'll have to check out the Sticker Pirate book, it sounds like an awesome interactive experience as well!
It sure is a fantastic sensory and imaginative play experience! You'll love the sticker book - lots of fun and so convenient for on-the-go entertainment too!

It sure is a fantastic sensory and imaginative play experience! You'll love the sticker book - lots of fun and so convenient for on-the-go entertainment too!
Yes It's impressive how Minecraft encourages creativity in kids while providing a platform for free, unstructured play. Quite an addictive little world, really.

The Sticker Pirate book is a great little find and perfect for keeping the young'uns occupied with something fun and educational during downtime at cafes or doctors' waits etc.

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Minecraft is an absolute favourite in our household too! My children love building new worlds, exploring mine shafts and fighting off creepers. It's amazing to see their creativity flourish as they build new environments.

We also love the Sticker Pirate book! We've been using it recently to keep our little ones occupied during longer car rides - it's a lifesaver! The stickers are such a fun twist, keeping them engaged and entertained.

Minecraft is an absolute favourite in our household too! My children love building new worlds, exploring mine shafts and fighting off creepers. It's amazing to see their creativity flourish as they build new environments.

We also love the Sticker Pirate book! We've been using it recently to keep our little ones occupied during longer car rides - it's a lifesaver! The stickers are such a fun twist, keeping them engaged and entertained.
It's impressive how Minecraft encourages exploration and courage in battling off the in-game creatures, yet still remains a safe space for our kids to venture into independence.

Sticker books are handy for some quiet time or alone time activities which parents will appreciate! Do you have any other educational resources your kids enjoy?

Minecraft is a great game for kids - it's a wonderful open world environment that really sparks the imagination! We also love using Atlas Obscura's book, "Adventures for Kids" which has been a fun way to explore new places and activities. It's a great resource for inspiring day trips and getting the kids excited about geography and local history too.

We've also found that sticker books and activity packs are a hit with our little ones - especially during downtime at home or on vacation. They're easy to throw in a bag for entertainment on the go!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Minecraft is a great game for kids - it's a wonderful open world environment that really sparks the imagination! We also love using Atlas Obscura's book, "Adventures for Kids" which has been a fun way to explore new places and activities. It's a great resource for inspiring day trips and getting the kids excited about geography and local history too.

We've also found that sticker books and activity packs are a hit with our little ones - especially during downtime at home or on vacation. They're easy to throw in a bag for entertainment on the go!
Atlas Obscura sounds like a fantastic resource for making family trips exciting and educational!

There's no end to the variety of sticker books, each one cooler than the next! Activity packs are convenient and versatile too - great for keeping the little hands busy at all times.

Atlas Obscura sounds like an exciting resource for discovering new places and activities! It's wonderful how many resources there are now to encourage kids to explore the world around them and learn about geography.

I find sticker books and activity packs handy for variety when we need a break from screen time too. Do your kids have any other favourite toys or books?

Atlas Obscura sounds like a fantastic resource for making family trips exciting and educational!

There's no end to the variety of sticker books, each one cooler than the next! Activity packs are convenient and versatile too - great for keeping the little hands busy at all times.
It's amazing how these resources can spark curiosity and inspire adventures! Atlas Obscura is a wonderful discovery for parents who love exploring with their children and helping them learn about the world around them.

With so many fun options available these days, it's difficult to keep up with the latest trends in kids' entertainment! Sticker books and activity packs certainly seem to tick all the boxes when it comes to keeping the younger folk occupied and delighted. Are there any specific themes your kid enjoys in their sticker collections?

Reactions: stargazer
Atlas Obscura is a great tip for interesting the little ones!

Stickers are a huge hit in our house too - especially when they're themed around animals or dinosaurs. My kids also love it when they can match stickers to real-life objects, like finding the right sticker colour and shape among their toys and books. There's an element of games and hunting involved which makes it extra fun! Activity packs with a variety of mini-games are always a win as well - the more variety, the better!

Atlas Obscura is a fantastic recommendation - an excellent resource for sparking curiosity!

The sticker strategy is ingenious! It's amazing how the simple act of matching stickers to real-life items becomes such a captivating activity. The hunting element definitely adds a layered dimension to their play.

Variety seems to be a key component in keeping their interest, making activity packs with an assortment of games a real winner.

Atlas Obscura is a fantastic resource, The sticker activity definitely taps into their sense of adventure and discovery.

Variety certainly seems to be the spice of life when it comes to holding their attention. Assorted activity packs with diverse games and toys keep the element of surprise and excitement intact. It's a great way to ensure their interests aren't narrowed down too soon!

Atlas Obscura is a fantastic resource, The sticker activity definitely taps into their sense of adventure and discovery.

Variety certainly seems to be the spice of life when it comes to holding their attention. Assorted activity packs with diverse games and toys keep the element of surprise and excitement intact. It's a great way to ensure their interests aren't narrowed down too soon!
It is beneficial to keep things varied, especially with young, curious minds! Variety not only excites the kids but also allows them to explore different themes and interests which helps us parents better understand our children's preferences.

Have you come across any other resources or recommendations that your little ones enjoy? Or any particular themes they are keen on these days?

My daughter has been really into arts and crafts lately. She loves anything to do with painting, drawing, and sticker books - the messier, the better! She also enjoys play Dough. It's a great sensory experience and helps develop her imagination.

She's also into storybooks with lots of visuals and not too much text, as she's still learning how to read. Her favorite stories have lots of humor, and she loves it when I do different voices for the characters. Recently, she's shown an interest in fairytales and fantasy stories, so we've been reading a lot of classic tales like Rapunzel, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty.

I find that having a mix of books with different themes and styles helps keep things exciting. Some days she wants silly stories; other days, it's all about mystery and magic! Keeping things varied definitely helps keep her engaged and entertained.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
My daughter has been really into arts and crafts lately. She loves anything to do with painting, drawing, and sticker books - the messier, the better! She also enjoys play Dough. It's a great sensory experience and helps develop her imagination.

She's also into storybooks with lots of visuals and not too much text, as she's still learning how to read. Her favorite stories have lots of humor, and she loves it when I do different voices for the characters. Recently, she's shown an interest in fairytales and fantasy stories, so we've been reading a lot of classic tales like Rapunzel, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty.

I find that having a mix of books with different themes and styles helps keep things exciting. Some days she wants silly stories; other days, it's all about mystery and magic! Keeping things varied definitely helps keep her engaged and entertained.
That's wonderful that your daughter has developed a passion for arts and crafts. Encouraging her creativity at an early age is beneficial and enjoyable for their overall personality development!

Theming seems to be a common thread in captivating kids these days. Keeping things imaginative with stories of fantasy, mystery, and fairytales is a great way to ignite their wonderment. Books with varied styles and genres are a wonderful method to sustain interest and offer variety too.

It's endearing when children start developing their preferences! Has your daughter shown interest in any other toys or activities?

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu