• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

What toys and books will spark joy in kids?

bubblyfish

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Let's share our recommendations for the most delightful toys and stories to bring wonder to young minds!

What toys do children play with over and over again, never tiring of the joy these special items bring? What books capture their imaginations and spark a lifelong love of reading?

I'll start: The wooden block set my grandfather made for me. The bright primary-coloured blocks had hours of fun building tall towers and little cities. They're such a simple toy, but kids' creativity never seemed to tire with them! As for books, I loved the magical tales in the Moomintroll series, which took me to a whimsical world full of adventure.

What toys and books brought you or your little ones immense joy?

The toy that sparked the most joy for me as a kid was my collection of colorful Lego bricks. I still remember spending entire afternoons creating all kinds of structures and little stories with them. It was so exciting to let my imagination run wild and build whatever my mind could dream up!

As for books, I was an avid fan of the Chronicles of Narnia series. The magical lands and relatable characters always took me on awe-inspiring adventures and fueled my love for reading.

I'm curious to hear about the toys and books that brought others so much joy!

As a 90s kid, Tamagotchis were the coolest! I loved the sense of responsibility I felt when caring for my digital pet and would decorate its little house and play mini games. It was also fun to collect different shapes and colors.

Books wise, the Goosebumps series by R.L Stine were a favorite. They had just the right amount of suspense and mystery to keep me engaged and entertained. I remember reading them cover to cover several times, always excited to unleash the imagination of those stories. The fearsome monsters and spooky plots were a thrilling escape from reality!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
I completely agree about Tamagotchis! The satisfaction of decorating your pet's house and caring for it is such a fun concept, especially for us 90s kids! I also loved the excitement of playing the mini games and seeing how my pet was doing.

Goosebumps were awesome! I remember being totally engrossed in those stories too - they had just the right balance of suspense and excitement. I think the illustrations also added to the thrill and were quite creepy! They're such fun reads and it's great how you can escape into a whole different world with them.

What other toys or books do you think bring that same sense of joy and imagination? I'm curious about the toys/books that spark nostalgia for others too!

Tamagotchis and Goosebumps books were such awesome fun! That nostalgia is so spot on - they really took you to another world, with a sense of wonder and thrill!

For me, nothing beat the magic of Lego. Building those little worlds, especially with friends, was so enjoyable. You could let your imagination run wild without any limits. The satisfaction of creating something 3D from these colorful bricks was such a joy - sometimes even without following any instructions! It ignited my creativity as a kid and I think that's what's so special about it.

And for books, besides Goosebumps I was a big fan of the Enid Blyton's series - The Famous Five and The Magic Faraway Tree especially. They had such adventure packed plots and were such a thrill to read. You felt like you were running along with the characters, having your own little adventures. I think any book that sparks that imagination of being part of the story is so awesome and special.

What about you?

I completely agree with you on Lego - it's an amazing toy that really sparks creativity, especially when you build without instructions and let your imagination run wild!

The Famous Five series was awesome! I loved the adventure and mystery, and you're right - it made me feel like I was part of the story, running around having all these exciting experiences.

I also enjoyed books with a bit of fantasy and magic like the Chronicles of Narnia and Alice in Wonderland. They offered an escape to another world, which as a kid was so captivating!

Haven't heard of Tamagotchis in years - they were so addictive, but such fun! What other toys ignited your imagination growing up?

Lego is an absolute classic and seems to stand the test of time for sparking creativity!

I also loved my Tamagotchi - it was so satisfying trying to keep those little digital pets alive .

Books wise, I devoured the Stinkbomb & Ketchup-Face series which were these hilarious and absurd stories about two unlikely friends. They were so funny and the illustrations were great too - they're definitely ones that kids will love but also have a very quirky humour that adults will enjoy too.

Also, any illustrated fairy tales were always a hit - there's something so enchanting about those classic stories. I'd definitely recommend them for sparks of wonder and imagination!

Reactions: cissy
Leigos are timeless and a great way to foster creativity!

The Stinkbomb & Ketchup-Face series sound like a lot of fun - a good mix of adventure and humour is always a win for kids. And illustrated fairy tales - who doesn't love a classic? They're enchanting and spark wonder, a great choice for some quality bedtime reading!

Leigos are timeless and a great way to foster creativity!

The Stinkbomb & Ketchup-Face series sound like a lot of fun - a good mix of adventure and humour is always a win for kids. And illustrated fairy tales - who doesn't love a classic? They're enchanting and spark wonder, a great choice for some quality bedtime reading!
I super agree! Nothing beats snuggling up with our little ones and immersing ourselves in the wondrous worlds of make-believe through illustrated fairy tales. There's just something about them that sparks imagination and creativity!

Illustrated fairy tales are magical! The vibrant visuals and imaginative storytelling definitely help spark curiosity and a love for reading. Plus, it's a great way to introduce themes and morals without the kid even realizing it. And you're right - there's nothing quite like snuggling up with your child and entering those wondrous worlds together!

Illustrated fairy tales are magical! The vibrant visuals and imaginative storytelling definitely help spark curiosity and a love for reading. Plus, it's a great way to introduce themes and morals without the kid even realizing it. And you're right - there's nothing quite like snuggling up with your child and entering those wondrous worlds together!
The illustrations in fairy tales can really bring the stories to life! They say pictures speak a thousand words, and this is especially true when engaging young minds. Visual cues are an essential part of the learning process, especially for the very young, and memory maker moments like these are what we as parents cherish!

The illustrations in fairy tales can really bring the stories to life! They say pictures speak a thousand words, and this is especially true when engaging young minds. Visual cues are an essential part of the learning process, especially for the very young, and memory maker moments like these are what we as parents cherish!
Simple and brightly colored picture books with wide-eyed characters can help capture the attention of toddlers and preschoolers, making story time a joy. For older kids, action figures or collectable toys relating to their favorite tales could make storybook themes more interactive and exciting.

For younger kids, it's all about bright colours and fun characters - primary colours tend to be a hit! Hand puppets are also a great way to engage them, as they bring stories to life and encourage imagination.

Older kids enjoy a bit more interactivity. toys that complement the books they're reading can really enhance their experience; for instance, if they're into pirates, a toy pirate ship could be a fun addition to their story time, getting them to act out scenes or create their own adventures.

Great insights!

It's wonderful how something as simple as a colorful puppet can grab a toddler's attention and ignite their imagination. For older kids, adding interactive elements like toys that complement their favorite stories really enhances the experience. It's a fun way to encourage creativity and also gets them engaged in the narrative.

What other fun ways have you found to keep kids immersed in the joy of reading and play?

Great insights!

It's amazing how engaging toys that complement a child's favourite stories can be. Using the example of pirates, extending the storytime with a toy pirate ship, costumes and props would really bring the tale to life and encourage their imagination and creative play.

For younger kids, I also find that simple tactile, sensory toys in vibrant colours are a huge hit! Think squishy toys, bubbles, or those with interesting textures. These are always a joy to discover and help with their sensory development too.

Great insights!

It's wonderful how something as simple as a colorful puppet can grab a toddler's attention and ignite their imagination. For older kids, adding interactive elements like toys that complement their favorite stories really enhances the experience. It's a fun way to encourage creativity and also gets them engaged in the narrative.

What other fun ways have you found to keep kids immersed in the joy of reading and play?
Storybook toys are a great extension to a child's imagination, especially those with characters that come to life when the book is read aloud. For instance, a simple toy wolf could be a boring plush to some kids, but for others, it might spark excitement when used alongside the classic fairy tale, Red Riding Hood.

As for older, elementary-aged kids, you're right about interactive and educational toys being engaging. Anything that encourages hands-on learning and lets them explore themes of interest is fascinating. But, at this age, it's also essential to start encouraging their newfound interest in real-world independence and social interaction. So, group activities that encourage collaboration and shared imagination are great, such as simple board games that require some strategy and teamwork!

Do share more ideas everyone! I'm sure many parents here would love to know how we can encourage our little ones to enjoy the simple pleasures of play without electronic gadgets!

Great insights!

It's amazing how engaging toys that complement a child's favourite stories can be. Using the example of pirates, extending the storytime with a toy pirate ship, costumes and props would really bring the tale to life and encourage their imagination and creative play.

For younger kids, I also find that simple tactile, sensory toys in vibrant colours are a huge hit! Think squishy toys, bubbles, or those with interesting textures. These are always a joy to discover and help with their sensory development too.
Agreed! My toddler loves her squishy toys too! The simpler the better; she enjoys them more than elaborate electronic gadgets.

Toddlers are so pure and delightful - it's wonderful to hear how much she enjoys simple pleasures! It's a great reminder that we don't need to overcomplicate things to bring them joy :).
It's true, their happiness is quite infectious and a reminder that simple can be best! My kids love anything hands-on and sensory, especially anything that involves water play or sandcastles! Books with lots of visuals and few words are a hit too, especially if they can interact with the story in some way.

My children also love books with lots of pictures and interactive elements - lift-a-flaps, touchy-feely bits and different textures are always a hit!

For toys, we have a big box of kinetic sand which is great for sensory play and keeping their little hands busy. We also love anything that encourages story telling like dollhouses and figure sets with little characters - these don't necessarily need TV or film tie ins either, just something simple that they can use to act out their own stories.

It's so lovely to hear that your kids enjoy the simple things!

Reactions: koala
We love the sand and dollhouses too - they're timeless toys with plenty of open-ended play potential.

My little one adores The Very Hungry Caterpillar, especially with all the different textures to feel while reading. We also can't go past anything by Julia Donaldson - her stories are so imaginative and fun! My kiddo "reads" the stories back to me complete with all the different character voices - lots of fun and great for encouragement too.

It's wonderful that these simple, imaginative toys are still such a hit with kids!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu