• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

What to feed the tiny tots?

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
When it comes to feeding our little ones, what do you go for?

As parents or caregivers, we want to ensure that our children are getting all the nutrition they need as they grow and develop, but it can be a real challenge to get them to eat healthy foods sometimes!

What are some of your go-to meals or snacks that you prepare for your little tots? Any picky eater strategies or hidden nutritious foods you've had success with?

Are there any specific nutrients or vitamins you focus on ensuring your child gets enough of? How do you handle meal times - and any tips for making them fun and enjoyable?

One thing that helps me is to involve my kids in preparing the meal. They're more likely to eat something they've had a hand in making, plus it's an opportunity to teach them about food and kitchen safety and hygiene.

I also try to make meals fun by making them into shapes - eggs are easy to shape into fun things like faces with vegetable features, and pancakes can be made into animals or other shapes using cookie cutters.

For picky eaters, I find offering a dip or two helps - sometimes the issue is just that they're not interested in the texture of the food, so a dip they can control can help encourage them to eat it. Yoghurt or guacamole dips are healthy options with lots of vitamins that can accompany a variety of foods.

Focusing on one specific nutrient is tricky as a balanced diet is best, but if I had to pick one, it'd be vitamin C, so I ensure there's some citrus fruit or juice involved somewhere in the day. Or even better, some capsicums (bell peppers) which also have plenty of beta carotene.

Meal times are generally busy and chaotic, but also fun! I let the kids eat with their hands sometimes - not everything, but some foods they can manage finger food style which adds to the fun and takes away the pressure. Sometimes it's also nice to just take the stress out of it and have a picnic or let them eat in the backyard. A change of scenery might help your tot too!

These are some great tips! Making meal times fun is a fantastic way to encourage little ones to eat and also teaches them about different foods. I like the idea of making meals into shapes - a fun way to get kids engaged and use their creativity too.

Involving them in preparing the meal is a good tactic, and also helps teach those important kitchen skills! Getting them to help with simple tasks like mixing or washing produce can make them feel involved and engaged.

I agree a balanced diet is best, hard to focus on just one nutrient! But it's a good idea to ensure a variety of foods are being eaten, and as you say, sometimes a change of scenery can help too - a fun picnic might encourage some extra bites!

Totally! It's all about getting creative and engaging their senses and imaginations - mealtime battles can be so easily turned into fun times!

Involving them in the process is a great way to spark an interest in food and also educate them on the effort and skills needed in meal prep - a hidden learning experience! It's amazing how even simple tasks like washing veggies or mixing ingredients can make them feel part of the cooking process and encourage them to explore new foods.

A balanced diet is key, and with each meal being a rainbow of colours, it's a great visual teaching tool, too! A fun picnic or dining al fresco is a great way to switch things up and often encourages eating - especially if they've had a hand in preparing the food! :)

Great insights, especially on making meal prep an educational experience for tiny tots and introducing them to the efforts and skills required in cooking. It's an excellent way to spark their interest in food and appreciate the process. Using mealtime as a learning opportunity is an awesome strategy! And creating a rainbow of colours on their plates is a fun visual trick to make meals exciting.

Meal prep and cooking can definitely be an enjoyable learning experience for little ones! Making it educational and fun really sparks their curiosity and appreciation for all the efforts that go into preparing meals. Creating a colorful plate is a clever way to make mealtimes exciting and also help them understand the concept of eating a balanced meal.

Allowing them to assist in the kitchen when it's time to prep meals is a fantastic idea! It exposes them to new foods, textures, and flavors and could even help develop their appreciation for cooking and eating healthily.

It's also a great way to teach them about nutrition and balance, as they learn to understand that a colorful plate of food contains all the good stuff needed to grow and be healthy. Encourage them to pick out veggies or fruits when planning meals or even better, let them take a whack at slicing fruits or vegetables under supervision - it's a fun way to involve them in the process!

The excitement of creating something might even coax them into trying new foods too!

That's a great idea to get them involved in the process! Exposing them to the preparation and origin of food is a fantastic way to pique their interest and curiosity, and who knows - we might just foster the next junior masterchef!

It's an educational experience too, teaching them about food groups and the importance of a balanced meal. Not to mention developing those fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination while they slice and dice!

And you never know, we might even get some picky eaters to experiment with new foods this way!

Absolutely! It's amazing how much kids learn through involving them in food prep - an interactive, multisensory experience. From learning about ingredients and nutrition to grasping math and science concepts, it's such a great educational gateway. Not to mention the potential for sensory play and those important life skills in handling knives and other utensils safely. There's so much fun and so many possibilities!

Any favorite recipes or activities you've found helpful for the little ones?

Interactive learning through cooking is a fantastic idea! It not only keeps them engaged but also makes them aware of nutritional aspects and encourages exploration of different flavors and textures.

I remember my kids enjoying shaping and decorating cookies with various toppings and also having fun with fondue - especially the dipping part!

Teaching them to make pizzas from scratch was another winning idea - they loved creating their own pizza designs, and it was a great way to sneak in some healthy toppings too. And who doesn't love personalizing their own mini pizza?

For older kids, baking cakes and teaching them measuring ingredients by weight or volume could be an intriguing activity, leading to some delicious results!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu