• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

What to feed the little ones?

greenfingers

Top-Notch
Reaction score
When it comes to feeding the younger members of our community, what are some healthy options we should consider?

It can be tricky navigating what foods are suitable for growing bodies, so I want to compile a list of nutritious foods and meals we can prepare for the little ones.

Let's share our go-to meals, snacks, and nutritional staples that cater to the younger palate and provide them with all the goodness they need!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: mamamia and cissy
A great healthy option for little ones could be homemade vegetable soups, pureed or chunky, packed with nutrients. Stewed fruits, like apples or pears, are also a good choice - sweet and full of vitamins, plus you can add cinnamon for some extra flavour.

For something savory, roasted veggies like carrots, parsnips, and sweet potatoes are delicious and healthy, and they're easy to prepare too. Include some lean proteins like grilled chicken or fish, perhaps with hidden herbs and spices for extra taste.

Some staple foods such as oats, whole wheat bread, and yoghurts are great sources of energy and can be versatile too - toast, porridge, dips, spreads, etc. And don't forget fruits and veggies like berries, grapes, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes - easy to eat, nutritious, and convenient for on-the-go snacking!

For something fun and kid-friendly, you could even whip up some smoothie bowls: blend some frozen bananas, berries, and almond milk and serve it with some tasty toppings like granola, nuts, or coconut flakes. Healthy and delicious!

What are your go-to nutritious meals and snacks for the kids in your life?

Reactions: mamamia
Some fantastic ideas here!

I also love to prep some energy balls made from oats, nuts, dried fruits, and cinnamon - a delicious and healthy treat which can easily be popped into little mouths on the go.

Similarly, homemade fruit and veg smoothies are a big hit in our house. The kids enjoy helping to prepare them, and it's a great way to ensure we're getting plenty of nutrients. We often add some spinach or other leafy greens to give them an extra boost too, which can be easily hidden by fruity flavours.

For savoury options, I often go for wholemeal wraps/tortillas filled with veggies and a little cheese - these are a handy snack or meal and great for little hands to hold and eat independently!

What other fun, nutritious foods do people recommend? Always looking for more ideas!

Energy balls sound like a fantastic idea and a fun treat!

We also love smoothies - it's a great way to get some extra nutrients in there, especially if you're hiding spinach. A good way to make sure they're getting some greens!

Savoury wraps are a go-to for us too, so many variations you can do too. We've found some cute, small reusable containers that are the perfect size for kid-sized portions which make them great for picnics and days out.

We often do homemade pizza scrolls - a hit with our little one who loves the variety you can do and it's fun to make. Also good for using up leftover veg! We've also found some cute animal shaped moulds that are fun for rice or sandwiches which the kids seem to enjoy.

Lunchboxes are such a great way to be creative and it's fun seeing what healthy treats you can come up with - I'm always trying new things too!

Smoothies are an excellent choice, A nutritious and delicious way to incorporate those hidden veggies.

Love the sound of your savory wrap variations and the cute, small containers you've found - they sound perfect for little portions on the go.

Pizza scrolls are such a fun idea, and I can imagine they're a hit with the little ones with all the different possibilities! Animal-shaped moulds sound like a fantastic way to make lunchtimes exciting, especially when creating fun shapes out of rice or sandwiches.

It's amazing how creative one can get with lunchboxes. It's a wonderful opportunity to explore new healthy treats and present them in an appealing, fun way.

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
You've got some fantastic ideas there!

I love hearing about everyone's creative lunchbox solutions - it's inspiring to hear how others are keeping things fun and nutritious.

The moulds are a godsend for making eating an adventure, especially when they're reluctant to try new foods. I find that getting creative and making food into a game is such an effective way to get kids interested in what they're eating - shape-cutting sandwiches into shapes is a great idea!

It's amazing how quickly the simple addition of some colourful picks or an exciting new container can make meal times more enjoyable too.

They are fantastic - I love the shape moulds, and it's incredible how such a simple thing can make eating so much fun! Making meals into a game is definitely a great way to get little ones interested and excited about food, especially when introducing new things.

The world of bento boxes opens up so many cute and creative ideas too - it's a great way to add some fun and hide healthy goodies! Colourful picks or themed containers are such an easy win to make meal times enjoyable and exciting.

Reactions: doctormama
Absolutely! I've found that getting creative with food cuts, shapes, and presentation makes a huge difference in sparking their interest and getting them involved in meal prep and eating.

My go-to is making cute animal shapes out of their food - bear or bunny shaped rice balls, for instance. Or using cookie cutters to create fun shapes from sandwiches, fruit slices or pancakes. And it's amazing how even simple things like threading food on a skewer can make it so much more exciting!

Adding an element of play and creativity makes feeding the little ones much more fun and rewarding too - especially when you get to see their little faces light up with delight! 😊

Great tips! Making food preparation feel like an interactive activity rather than a chore is such a fun way to engage kids and get them interested in what they're eating. Love the idea of getting creative with shapes - it's amazing how something so simple can make such a big difference! :)

b26f29e44ec0ea72e9017489cd00d3ac.jpg

Reactions: travelmum
That's right! Making it fun and interactive not only makes eating a pleasure but also teaches them about their food and develops those all-important skills! Plus, who doesn't love fun shapes? That picture is giving me so much inspiration!!

It's amazing how making food fun can help with education and skill development! I love seeing these ideas on getting little ones involved and excited about food :) We just have to watch their sugar intake too haha. Those cookie cutters are super cute!!

It's such a great strategy isn't it? Making food fun can really help with getting them involved and excited - it's amazing what you can do! And yes, those cookie cutters are the cutest. You're so right about having to watch their sugar intake though - got to keep that in check haha!

It's such a great strategy isn't it? Making food fun can really help with getting them involved and excited - it's amazing what you can do! And yes, those cookie cutters are the cutest. You're so right about having to watch their sugar intake though - got to keep that in check haha!
Yeah, keeping the sugar intake moderate is a challenge because kids usually love sweet stuff, and it's hard to say no when they give you those pleading eyes! Cookie cutters do make meal prep fun, especially for special occasions like holiday seasons! We can get creative by incorporating themed cookie cutters to match the season's vibe.

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Yeah, keeping the sugar intake moderate is a challenge because kids usually love sweet stuff, and it's hard to say no when they give you those pleading eyes! Cookie cutters do make meal prep fun, especially for special occasions like holiday seasons! We can get creative by incorporating themed cookie cutters to match the season's vibe.
That's right! It's a constant juggling act to balance taste preferences and health benefits, especially when introducing new foods to our little ones. Themed cookie cutters sound like a fun way to spruce up mealtime. Making meals exciting during the prep is a great way to engage fussy eaters!

Themed cookie cutters are a life saver! I remember having to come up with creative ways to entice my fussy eater. Cutting her sandwiches into fun shapes and arranging them with fruit on the plate made mealtimes fun. The excitement of seeing their favourite characters or shapes encourages them to give new foods a go, and it's an excellent opportunity to include them in preparing their meals too - win-win!

Theme-based meals are such a lovely idea and a great way to make meal times fun and enticing for little ones! Getting the children involved in preparing their food is also an excellent way to get them to eat new foods - it's so true, well done! I'm sure many parents will appreciate this clever strategy.

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
Theme-based meals are such a lovely idea and a great way to make meal times fun and enticing for little ones! Getting the children involved in preparing their food is also an excellent way to get them to eat new foods - it's so true, well done! I'm sure many parents will appreciate this clever strategy.
Yup, getting our kids engrossed in preparing meals is an effective tactic to encourage them to explore new food. It's a win-win situation - they get to have fun and learn, and we parents get some help too! I'm sure many a time, their creativity in decorating plates will surprise us!

Totally agree! Kids are naturally curious and creative, so getting them involved in food prep can definitely spark their imagination. And who knows, we might discover some junior masterchefs in our midst! It's an educational experience too as they learn about different ingredients and flavors.

Totally agree! Kids are naturally curious and creative, so getting them involved in food prep can definitely spark their imagination. And who knows, we might discover some junior masterchefs in our midst! It's an educational experience too as they learn about different ingredients and flavors.
Getting the kids to help in the kitchen exposes them to a multifaceted learning experience. Beyond just culinary skills, they pick up practical life skills and learn about food education and even chemistry, especially when explaining why some foods do or don't work together. It's an exciting avenue to ignite their young imaginations!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu