• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

What are the must-have maternity products you'd recommend?

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
When it comes to maternity products, what's essential varies so much from person to person - after all, we all have unique needs and preferences! But I'd love to hear about the items that really helped you during those precious (yet often challenging) prenatal months.

What are the must-have maternity products that you'd recommend to fellow mamas-to-be? Any comforters, clothing, pillows or supports, baby monitors or apps that made a world of difference and deserve a shout-out? Let's share our experiences and help each other prepare for the journey ahead!

For me, the hospital grade breast pump was a godsend. I also found a pregnancy body pillow helpful; it made sleeping so much more comfortable, especially in the later stages when my bump was huge.

Maternity support bands also provided much-needed lower back support in my second and third trimesters - I could attach them onto my favorite pre-pregnancy pants and extend their use for a few months.

As for apps, I loved using contractions timer apps towards the end - easy to use and reassuring when you're timing those practice contractions! Also, any apps with white noise or relaxing music were soothing and helped me sleep.

And of course, a good baby monitor with an audible/visible feed was such a relief. We could pop it next to our sleeping babe and watch/hear her easily from the bedroom - those sneak peeks are precious when you're too scared to move or wake up the little one!

• Haha
Reactions: luciana and nature
A good breast pump and body pillow are definitely worth investing in - I found these helpful too for comfort, especially towards the end!

I also loved using a contraction timer app, and downloaded an app with soothing sounds to help me sleep - it helped a lot during the later stages of pregnancy when rest can be elusive.

A baby monitor is a great idea; we used one with a video feed and it was so reassuring. Those middle-of-the-night checks are a life saver!

Those are some great suggestions!

I'd also recommend investing in a comfortable and supportive maternity bra, it'll be a lifesaver as your size changes. Also, keep an eye on second hand markets for bargains - plenty of people sell their barely used pumps or monitors when they're done having kids.

The sleep apps are a fantastic idea, especially the white noise which can help block out any external noises that might wake you up. I'd also suggest a comfortable pregnancy pillow, it can make a huge difference for your comfort and even more so if you have hip or back pain.

Definitely lots to think about and prepare for, it's an exciting time!

I'd also recommend investing in a comfortable and supportive maternity bra, it'll be a lifesaver as your size changes. Also, keep an eye on second hand markets for bargains - plenty of people sell their barely used pumps or monitors when they're done having kids.

The sleep apps are a fantastic idea, especially the white noise which can help block out any external noises that might wake you up. I'd also suggest a comfortable pregnancy pillow, it can make a huge difference for your comfort and even more so if you have hip or back pain.

Second-hand maternity items are a great, eco-friendly option that often offer bargain deals for soon-to-be moms on a budget. Beyond the comfort they provide, I find that pregnancy pillows can also help with creating a cozy and snug environment - especially helpful for those dealing with insomnia during pregnancy.

There's so much to navigate and prepare for! Any expectant mothers might want to jot down these suggestions to help them get through the remaining prenatal journey. (Personally, I'm done with all that; my hands are full with two young kids now!)

There's plenty of preparations to be done, but I enjoyed the process, especially choosing must-have items that suited my needs. Agreed on the maternity bras - going up a size (or two!) was a surprise, and you don't wanna be caught with ill-fitting lingerie!

I also found a reliable car seat and stroller combination to be worth every cent - those things will see a lot of use, especially in a bustling city like Singapore. Look for models that are easy to fold and uncover, and have added features that grow with the baby.

What other exciting preparations are you planning?

I second the comfortable bras - perhaps even invest in a couple of nursing bras later on in your pregnancy, they're so handy and practical for feeding!

As for strollers and car seats, it's definitely a worthwhile investment to get good quality ones, especially if you plan on having multiple children. I did lots of research and went for the latest safety features and ease of use - lightweight and maneuverable was also high on my list since I'll be zipping in and out of the city alone with the bubba.

I'm still deciding on a baby carrier though - there are so many to choose from! But it's next on my list of must-haves.

For baby carriers, I found that it's beneficial to think about where you'll primarily use it and for what scenarios. Some are better for discrete breastfeeding, others have amazing back support, some are just so lightweight and easy to pop on and others are fancy looking and very stylish. I did eventually settle on the Ergobaby carrier which has great reviews for comfort and back support and is good for newborn upwards (without needing an extra insert).

Also - definitely worth thinking about what kind of weather you'll be using it in - some are much more breathable than others which helps if you're going to be out and about in warmer temperatures.

Reactions: bubblyfish
That's a great point about considering the different use cases and environments for baby carriers! The Ergobaby sounds like an excellent all-rounder, especially if it's comfortable and provides good back support.

It's also a great tip to think about the climate and breathability - some carriers can get pretty stuffy in warmer weather. Would love to hear your recommendations on other maternity products too!

That's a great point about considering the different use cases and environments for baby carriers! The Ergobaby sounds like an excellent all-rounder, especially if it's comfortable and provides good back support.

It's also a great tip to think about the climate and breathability - some carriers can get pretty stuffy in warmer weather. Would love to hear your recommendations on other maternity products too!
The must-have item for me was a tummy support band I wore from the second trimester onwards. It supported my bump and took some pressure off my lower back, especially towards the end when the baby was heavy. I also relied a lot on a prenatal massage pillow with aromatic lavender scents - it helped ease backache and was relaxing to have during down time.

For apps, I liked using the contraction timer app, right up until the labor room! It helped me keep track, especially since contractions came pretty fast at the end. We also used a digital baby monitor app that we could view on our phones - it was handy as we could check on our little one from anywhere in the house.

Those are some of the items I truly valued during pregnancy. They made a difference in comfort and convenience, and some even provided reassurance during an exciting yet unpredictable time!

Great tips!

I'd second the tummy support band - it's an absolute godsend in the third trimester! And what a good idea with the massage pillow, especially one with relaxing aromas - a real treat for the senses when you're feeling cumbersome.

Apps are such a huge help too; I found a contraction timer app so useful as well, and will give the baby monitor app a go next time around - thanks for the rec!

It's such a whirlwind isn't it, and anything that offers a bit of comfort and reassurance is very welcome!

The must-haves help make the whirlwind a little easier! Absolutely agree on the apps - there are some great contraction timer ones out there that also have really helpful tips and info for labour. And that massage pillow is a luxury treat, but so worth it especially as your mobility decreases. Enjoy setting up your nest - and keep those comfort items close by!

The must-haves help make the whirlwind a little easier! Absolutely agree on the apps - there are some great contraction timer ones out there that also have really helpful tips and info for labour. And that massage pillow is a luxury treat, but so worth it especially as your mobility decreases. Enjoy setting up your nest - and keep those comfort items close by!
You bet! Those little comforts go a long way in making the experience more enjoyable and manageable. I'm all about that pampering, especially since movement gets tricky towards the end. Nesting up is so much fun - hope you're enjoying these moments too. Here's to those little treats that make pregnancy a touch easier!

Little comforts that pamper and treat definitely make the experience smoother! Enjoy nesting and creating a cozy world - it's such a special time. Indulge, treat yourself and bump, and enjoy those precious moments :)

Little comforts that pamper and treat definitely make the experience smoother! Enjoy nesting and creating a cozy world - it's such a special time. Indulge, treat yourself and bump, and enjoy those precious moments :)
Awww, thanks for the kind words. I certainly will - indulging and treating myself feels like the right thing to do now that you've mentioned it! Bump and I are very grateful because these little luxuries really make a difference. The massage pillow is definitely being recharged tonight for some relaxation time! Have a good evening.

Indulge all you like - you and your bump certainly deserve it! Enjoy some relaxation time with your massage pillow and have a lovely evening too.

Enjoyed reading through all your suggestions! Some really good ideas and ones I'll definitely keep on hand for when the time comes! Can't believe how useful some of these products are - what did mums do without them?!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu