• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

What are some of the hits with your little ones?

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

With Christmas/Hanukkah just around the corner, I thought it would be great to gather some ideas on toys and books that have been a hit with your little ones. You never know when you need some inspiration for future gift-giving opportunities or even just to add some fun new things to the rotation at home!

So spill the beans on what your kids have loved (or perhaps not so much...) - let's hear about the hits and why they were a success! And of course, feel free to share any beloved books that have become forever favorites too. Pictures are always great to see as well!

Hi everyone!

With Christmas/Hanukkah just around the corner, I thought it would be great to gather some ideas on toys and books that have been a hit with your little ones. You never know when you need some inspiration for future gift-giving opportunities or even just to add some fun new things to the rotation at home!

So spill the beans on what your kids have loved (or perhaps not so much...) - let's hear about the hits and why they were a success! And of course, feel free to share any beloved books that have become forever favorites too. Pictures are always great to see as well!
Hello there! I'm Evelyn, a parent of a curious and lively 6-year-old whom I often refer to as Little Man.

One toy that has definitely earned a place in our home is the good old Lego. It's been a huge hit and has provided hours of fun and creativity. It started with the simple Duplo sets, which are larger pieces designed for toddlers, and we've gradually moved on to the smaller-sized Legos. These colorful bricks seem to have a never-ending appeal, and it's heartwarming to see Little Man's imagination run wild as he creates all sorts of structures and scenarios. Lego also has a range of themed sets, from pirates and knights to space robots, so there's something for every interest.

Another success has been a simple magnetic drawing board. It's one of those toys that seem mundane but end up being a staple in the playroom. The eraser on the bottom of the board makes it easy for Little Man to constantly erase and draw new pictures, and the magnetic pen keeps even the most adventurous drawings contained on the board. This has been great for those times when we're out at restaurants or on flights - a little entertainment kit that's easy to pack and doesn't require screens!

As for books, we've really enjoyed the Dr. Seuss collection - the playful rhymes and quirky characters are a big hit with our little reader. 'The Cat in the Hat' and 'Green Eggs and Ham' are forever favorites and have been read dozens of times (and memorized by heart!). They're fun to recite aloud and provide just the right amount of silly fun.

Also worth mentioning is a fairly new find: a series of illustrated chapter books called Mercy Watson. They're about a buttered-toast-loving pig who lives with human owners who refer to her as their "domesticated house pet." The stories are quirky, and the illustrations are delightful - a huge hit in our household!

I'll be sure to snap a picture of some of these favorites and post them in reply. It's fun to share these little gems that have made our home brighter and more joyful!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Hi everyone!

Hi! It's a great idea to get some toy and book recommendations for the little ones. Mine certainly keeps me on my toes and keeps me poor haha.

One big hit with her has been this cute plush unicorn rocker. It's one of those things that she saw at a friend's place and mentioned casually, but it didn't seem like a big deal to her then. So I got it as a bit of a surprise and set it up in her room when she was asleep one night (I mean, how could I resist that cute white fluffy unicorn with the colorful mane and sparkly horn?). And man, her reaction the next morning was so worth it! She went ballistic, running into her room and literally jumping onto it. She named it Galaxy, and it's her favorite "pet" now. It's quite well-made and looks sturdy enough for her enthusiastic hugs and rides.

Another one she really loves is this interactive storybook called "Little Red Riding Hood." It's a regular storybook with a twist - the pages have sensors that trigger sounds when you touch specific areas of the pages with the included wand. So cool! The narration, music, and sound effects keep her engaged and amused as she goes through the book. She pretends to be Little Red Riding Hood, acting out the story, and it's adorable. It's a nice break from the usual e-readers and tablets, giving a more sensory reading experience.

Both of these picks have been such a hit that momma had to buy extras for her little friends!

• Wow
Reactions: luciana
Hi everyone!

My boys love their toy cars and trucks. They're obsessed with anything related to vehicles, and books like "Cars galore" are memorable favorites. We also can't forget the good ol' Legos; those colorful bricks are a constant staple in our home. My kids never seem to grow tired of them, and it's heartwarming to see them use their imagination while building and creating new things.

Hi everyone!

One big hit with my girls (5 and 8) is this wooden food set - fruits and veggies with a colorful shopping basket. It's a simple toy but it's adorable hearing them 'cook' and role-play; cutting up veggies and making salad. The wooden set has held their attention for hours and is a permanent fixture in our home's mock grocery store! They also love storybooks, especially those with strong visuals and lots of funny sounds to go along - mooing cows and meowing cats - the more absurd, the better!

Hi everyone!

My two-year-old son loves anything with wheels because he's fascinated by vehicles. He's especially fond of this interactive wooden train set granny got him for Christmas. It comes with a steam engine, a few carriages, and some trees, plus tiny wooden peg people that he enjoys placing around the track. It's a hit because it's easy to assemble and takes up just enough space for the living room without encroaching on our space too much. He also enjoys the little narratives he can create with the different train passengers. As for books, he loves lift-the-flap books like Dear Zoo, with lots of colorful animals and simple sentences because they're highly interactive and great for his developing language skills. I enjoy reading them too!

Hi everyone!

My kids love interactive and educational toys. Anything that lights up or makes sounds is a definite hit, especially if it also teaches them something new. My son's current favorite is this cool light-up globe that teaches geographics. It's amazing how the human brain works; he seems to absorb knowledge like a sponge when it comes to maps and countries' locations!

Another winner in our house is this cute little robot toy that helps my children learn programming skills. The concept is basic, but it keeps them engaged and entertains them for hours. It's amazing to see them thinking about the logic and sequence of movements and how proud they feel when the robot follows their instructions.

For books, my son adores a good old lift-the-flap book. He's a very curious little boy, so books that reveal hidden pictures and provide surprises under each flap keep him engaged and giggling. On the other hand, my daughter loves picture books with strong female characters - princesses who don't need saving and who venture into adventures alone or with friends. She particularly enjoys stories with strong messages of courage and determination.

Both of them love Dr. Seuss's silly rhymes, which always save us when we need some fun and laughter! The goofy words and fun illustrations are a constant hit and never fail to entertain both kids and adults alike.

What about you guys? What toys and stories have your little ones loving every page and playtime? Do share, as I'm always on the lookout for new ideas!

Reactions: cissy
Hi everyone!

Hello! My kids love interactive and imaginative toys. One of their all-time favorites is this doctor kit. You know, the one with the stethoscope, thermometer, and fake medication. They role-played being a doctor and checked me and their father's "health" daily for quite some time. It was so cute!

Another hit was this magical wand that lit up and made noises. It had different settings and would change the colors and styles of the light shows. Both my kids enjoyed "dueling" each other with their wand while pretending to be wizards from a famous wizarding school.哈哈!

As for books, the Where's Spot? lift-the-flap book was a real winner. The simple story of finding Spot hidden somewhere in each scene kept them engaged and entertained as we read it over and over again. They also love the colorful illustrations! It's amazing how something so simple can keep them thrilled!

Hi everyone!

Hello! There's this one board game that my son really loves. It's called "First Orchard" by Haba. The goal is to collect four fruits to fill up your basket, and the simple concept is a hit with many toddlers. The gameplay is straightforward enough for my three-year-old to understand, and it teaches turn-taking and patience (you know how squirmy little ones can get). It's also adorable how they get excited about the little animals on the board!

As for books, anything by Julia Donaldson is a big hit in our house. Her rhymes are so catchy and fun to read aloud, and the stories are engaging too. We've read "The Snail and the Whale" so many times; it's a real favorite!

Are there any other toddler toys or books that have been a huge hit with your kids?

Hi everyone!

Hey! There's this one book my daughter never gets tired of. It's cloth-bound and has cute illustrations accompany a story about all the different types of homes that animals reside in. It's torn and stained from her countless re-reads but it's well-loved!

Hi everyone!

One of my son's favorite toys is his drumset, which lives up to his energetic personality! He also has a cute habit of naming his drums and hitting them like his little friends 😊.

Hi everyone!

My 5 year old son adores his magnetic board game set. It comes with various themes like fishing, puzzles, and mazes. It's a big hit at our home because it's easy to pack away and perfect for keeping him entertained while we're on the go. He's also into superhero capes and disguises! My little girl loves her dollhouse and anything arts and crafts related. She gets really creative with her artwork, and it's fascinating to see her imaginative side.

Hi everyone!

My two-year-old daughter loves her wooden stackable toys and anything that involves filling and pouring! We also read a lot of books, but she has short attention span so I often end up changing book topics half way to keep her engaged. She likes books with lots of colors and pictures of other children doing everyday things. Any book with animals is a definite winner too!

Hi everyone!

Hi there! I've got a few gems that my kiddo adores. Most of them are sensory toys - anything with lights, sounds, and tactile enjoyment is a massive hit. Think fizzy, snowy slime or those light-up squishy toys - they're interactive and stimulate the senses. Books with different textures to touch and lift-the-flap features also top the list!

One huge hit is this light-up bubble gun; it's a real spectacle for the eyes, especially on a gloomy day! It's always fun to see him chasing bubbles around the house, or we pretend they're 'snow balls' in the winter. Very festive indeed 🙂 .

• Haha
Reactions: luciana
Hi everyone!

Hi there! My five-year-old daughter has been into arts and crafts lately. She enjoys making handmade cards and decorating them with glitter, stickers, and her personal favorite - pompoms! It keeps her occupied and fosters her imagination and creativity.

Also, anything Disney Princess seems to be a crowd pleaser. My daughter dresses up as a princess at least once a week. We've also recently started reading Harry Potter - she calls it her 'big girl' book series, which is cute!

Hi everyone!

My kiddo adored his remote control car, especially zooming it around the house at high speeds. He also enjoyed books with vibrant pictures of vehicles like cars, planes and especially trains - these never got old for him! Unfortunately, he's grown up and left all these behind now.. including the remote control car which has collected dust ever since he lost interest. :/

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu