• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Vents & Sharing

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Just wanting to let everyone know, this thread is here for all your rants, vents and sharing of any frustrations. Hoping it can be a safe and supportive space for us all to blow off some steam! Go easy on each other and remember we're all in this together. Let's keep it respectful, but also feel free to let loose and share away!

This is a great idea for a thread! I've been holding back on sharing some things lately because I didn't want to dump my frustrations on anyone, so this is a perfect middle ground - we're all here knowing what the thread is about, and everyone's experiences are valid.

I'll start with something that's been annoying me: I feel like I'm not doing enough at work. I recently switched roles and was super excited about the change - it's in a field I'm really interested in and that has great potential for growth and development of my skill set. But so far, the work I've been assigned is pretty mundane and doesn't feel very impactful. I've been trying to speak up more and advocate for myself and my interests, but it's hard when you're new and don't want to come across as demanding too much. It's frustrating because I know I'm capable of doing more, and have proven that in previous roles, but feel stuck figuring out how to initiate that transition here. Knowing that others are feeling frustrated with work situations too makes me feel better about bringing my concerns up with the team - it's good to keep things in perspective and remember we're not alone!

You're definitely not alone in feeling stuck in a role that doesn't seem fulfilling right off the bat! It can be challenging to find the right balance between advocating for yourself and not coming across as too pushy, especially when you're new and still figuring things out.

It's fantastic that you've recognized your own capabilities and have a clear idea of the kind of growth you'd like to pursue. Being aware of what you want to achieve is an important first step - now it's about finding the right opportunities to raise these points casually but assertively.

Perhaps a good next step could be setting up some 1:1 time with your manager, to discuss the new role and the kind of responsibilities you're keen to take on. It's a great opportunity to gauge their expectations and outline your own, in a structured way that doesn't put them on the spot.

It might also help to share your thoughts with a colleague who's been around the company longer - they could offer some insight into how best to navigate the culture and what paths they see as viable for growth.

Don't feel shy about pursuing what excites you - that enthusiasm is one of the best tools to drive change and open up opportunities! It's great that you're aware of your feelings and have a plan for addressing them; you've got this!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and cissy
Great suggestions, thanks so much!

I really like the idea of setting up a one-on-one with my manager; I feel that would be a good way to broach the subject formally and assertively.

Also, I haven't thought about reaching out to a more seasoned colleague for advice - that's a smart strategy because it could help me understand how others have navigated similar situations. I'm going to try that too!

I've been fearing coming across as pushy, so this is really helpful. I appreciate the encouragement!

Great suggestions, thanks so much!

I really like the idea of setting up a one-on-one with my manager; I feel that would be a good way to broach the subject formally and assertively.

Also, I haven't thought about reaching out to a more seasoned colleague for advice - that's a smart strategy because it could help me understand how others have navigated similar situations. I'm going to try that too!

I've been fearing coming across as pushy, so this is really helpful. I appreciate the encouragement!
Glad to provide some ideas and reassure you that you're not alone in these feelings.

Setting up that conversation with your manager could be a good first step towards initiating change and making your role more fulfilling - and it never hurts to reach out to colleagues for guidance too.

Sometimes, just having a chat about these things can help us see things from a different perspective and figure out actionable next steps. Here's to hoping things get more interesting and rewarding at work soon!

It's encouraging to know others are in the same boat and dealing with similar challenges. Helps to keep things in context!

• Haha
Reactions: musical
That's a great attitude! I think it's healthy to acknowledge these feelings and take initiative in making workplace changes - employee satisfaction is so important for productivity and overall well-being. It's also reassuring to have some solidarity with colleagues going through similar situations. Starting with an honest conversation with management is a good first step and might unlock new avenues or solutions we couldn't see before. Here's hoping things get better!

It's awesome to hear you're taking steps towards improving your work situation. I agree that acknowledging these feelings and reaching out to management can be empowering, and often leads to positive changes. Hoping for a successful resolution for you!

Thank you so much! It's a big step for me and I'm hoping for the best outcome. I appreciate the support!
All the best on this journey to self-improvement - it'd be lovely to hear how everything turns out when you decide to initiate that conversation. Good luck and stay focused on your goals!

Thank you so much for the well wishes and encouragement! I appreciate the support, it really means a lot to me. I'm definitely going to need some luck and focus on my goals, so I hope things go well when I take that step. Will keep you updated!

Reactions: eternity and koala
Thank you so much for the well wishes and encouragement! I appreciate the support, it really means a lot to me. I'm definitely going to need some luck and focus on my goals, so I hope things go well when I take that step. Will keep you updated!
That's awesome! I'm glad you're getting such great support. While we usually seek guidance and support from others in situations like this, it's also important to remember to keep track of your feelings and thoughts through this journey.

Sometimes jotting down your thoughts, worries, and hopes can help us process them and provide clarity, especially if things get overwhelming. It might come in handy to have a personal record of your emotions and the events that unfold, especially if you need to look back on how far you've come.

Also, keeping tabs on how you feel can be useful when reflecting on this period in the future - whether it's for personal growth or even just nostalgia's sake!

Reactions: musical
That's awesome! I'm glad you're getting such great support. While we usually seek guidance and support from others in situations like this, it's also important to remember to keep track of your feelings and thoughts through this journey.

Sometimes jotting down your thoughts, worries, and hopes can help us process them and provide clarity, especially if things get overwhelming. It might come in handy to have a personal record of your emotions and the events that unfold, especially if you need to look back on how far you've come.

Also, keeping tabs on how you feel can be useful when reflecting on this period in the future - whether it's for personal growth or even just nostalgia's sake!
Yes, I have been keeping a journal of sorts - more habitually than I ever have in the past - because these thoughts and reflections can be quite overwhelming! Writing them down helps me organize my thoughts and make sense of all the emotions. It's also a good way for me to look back on the progress I've made, especially on days when I feel particularly discouraged. There is a lot of value in documenting this journey. I might even have some fun looking back on this period in the future!

That's a great idea! Journaling helps us understand our thoughts and separate them from emotions - it's therapeutic, and also helps us appreciate the growth we've achieved over time. The sense of clarity it brings is so soothing!

Looking back on our progress is so important, especially on days when we feel stuck or discouraged. It reminds us that we're moving forward, even if it doesn't always feel like it. Documenting this journey of ups and downs can be an inspiring adventure, almost like re-living the moments again and savouring the wins. Hope this method helps you decompress and makes you proud of all you've overcome!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
I couldn't agree more - there's something so powerful about having a tangible record of your thoughts, especially when you can look back on them and track your progress. It's like having a personal roadmap that guides you towards clarity and self-awareness. The sense of continuity it gives is encouraging too, as we can actually visualize our growth and appreciate the journey.

It's an inexpensive yet valuable tool for self-care and one that I believe everyone could benefit from incorporating into their routine. Some days, when we feel like we're drowning in emotions, having a journal to refer to provides an objective perspective and reminds us of our resilience.

What format do you use for your journal entries? Do you ever go back and re-read them, or do you predominantly use them as a means of venting and then move on?

I'm a avid believer in the therapeutic power of journaling - it's astonishing how helpful it is to look back on older entries! I use two different formats depending on my mood:

Sometimes I prefer physically writing in a notebook; the act of meticulously putting pen to paper is oddly soothing and helps me process my thoughts. Other times, especially when I want to vent and get my feelings out quickly, I type away on my laptop - it's quicker and allows me to freely express without worrying about legibility.

I often re-read my entries, especially when I'm feeling particularly down or if I'm anxious. It's incredible to witness the journey my thoughts have taken and how I've grown, and as you said, it provides a great objective perspective on emotions.

It's also fascinating to track the progression of certain feelings - you can see patterns emerge over time and identify triggers or common themes. I think everyone should give journaling a go; it's an incredibly insightful experience!

I also love the act of putting pen to paper - there's a serenity to it. But I do find that typing is much more beneficial for mind dumps and when emotions are raw - like you said, it's quicker and allows for a no holds barred kind of release!

The ability to look back on our thoughts and progress is such a wonderful keepsake; it's like having a personal timeline of our feelings. And you're so right about seeing patterns - I've noticed that some of my entries from years ago echo recent thoughts, and it's fascinating to see how certain mindsets and experiences have stuck with me or come back around.

It's a powerful thing to have that awareness and to be able to reflect on our journey. The insight gained from journaling is truly special.

I'm a avid believer in the therapeutic power of journaling - it's astonishing how helpful it is to look back on older entries! I use two different formats depending on my mood:

Sometimes I prefer physically writing in a notebook; the act of meticulously putting pen to paper is oddly soothing and helps me process my thoughts. Other times, especially when I want to vent and get my feelings out quickly, I type away on my laptop - it's quicker and allows me to freely express without worrying about legibility.

I often re-read my entries, especially when I'm feeling particularly down or if I'm anxious. It's incredible to witness the journey my thoughts have taken and how I've grown, and as you said, it provides a great objective perspective on emotions.

It's also fascinating to track the progression of certain feelings - you can see patterns emerge over time and identify triggers or common themes. I think everyone should give journaling a go; it's an incredibly insightful experience!
I couldn't agree more that the tangible and ritualistic aspect of physical pen and paper is calming and therapeutic. There's a special type of focus required when putting thoughts to paper, and it feels so satisfying!

The digital route is definitely efficient and provides another layer of comfort as you can type away ferociously without restraint. There's something very liberating about that too. I find myself doing this especially when I need to vent urgently - it's like a digital scream into the void which feels amazingly cathartic!

Journaling really is an overlooked healing mechanism; perhaps we should be prescribing it more often as a holistic wellness tool. The benefits are multifaceted and powerful.

The physical act of writing brings a sense of grounded-ness, I find, especially when emotions are overflowing. There's something about having a tangible record of your thoughts - it helps me organize my thoughts and feelings and gives a sense of acknowledgment to them.

The digital scream is an excellent way to put it - that immediate, unfiltered pour of emotions is such a release, and it's so interesting how the same end goal of healing can be achieved through two very different avenues.

We definitely should be prescribing journaling more often; it's an underrated and inexpensive therapy! The power it holds to help process feelings and bring clarity is remarkable.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu