• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Unsure about parenting decisions? Ask the wise mums here for their input

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
If you're a mum who's ever looked back on your day and wondered if you made the right choices, this thread is for you.

As mums, we often second-guess ourselves and our abilities - but it's reassuring to know that we don't have to go it alone! So, if there's something parenting-related bothering you, ask the wise mamas here for their thoughts and insights. Whether it's about discipline strategies, screen time battles or challenges with fussy eaters, let's share our experiences and collective wisdom to help each other make informed decisions with confidence.

Post your questions or share your scenario and let's get some insightful conversations rolling!

I have a 6-year-old daughter who's incredibly active and enthusiastic about sports, which is great because I am too! However, lately, she's been getting very upset after every sports practice or game, saying she's 'not good enough' and 'everyone is better than her.'

I've spoken to the coaches, and they say she's a strong player but these comments concern them too. They think she puts excessive pressure on herself and want me to try and help build her self-esteem. It breaks my heart to see her so down, knowing sports should be fun at this age! Any ideas for boosting her confidence? I want to encourage her passion, not dampen her spirit further!

You're on the right track by acknowledging this situation and seeking ways to build your daughter's self-esteem - a wise move!

It's so important first to understand where these feelings originate. Does she compare herself with teammates or opponents? Maybe suggest she focuses on her strengths and emphasizes personal improvement rather than comparing herself to others. Every athlete has different gifts, and reminding her of this might help.

Encourage her to set realistic goals and celebrate achievements - breaking them down into smaller, manageable, and achievable tasks. When she masters a skill, the sense of accomplishment will boost her confidence. Ensure you provide specific and detailed praise after each game or practice. For example, "Your new tactic in today's game was awesome! The way you anticipated your teammate's moves was so impressive!" Try also to attend some sports psychology sessions as a fun activity together - learning how sporting greats deal with their emotions and pressures can be insightful.

This mindset work alongside her coaching will help separate the enjoyment of sport from performance pressures, which are unnecessary at this age. Keep us posted on how she's doing! We're all about lifting each other up here.

Thank you so much for these great suggestions!

I really like the idea of helping her focus on her strengths and improving them - I think it's so important for kids to understand that everyone has different skill sets and talents, and comparing oneself to others is unnecessary.

I also love the idea of sports psychology - teaching her some tools to manage emotions and enjoy the sport rather than focusing on performance would be such a great skill for life.

Will definitely keep you updated - appreciate all the input!

You're very welcome! So glad to have given you some ideas on how to help your child develop and grow, especially in a way that emphasizes the importance of individuality and emotional management - such beneficial life skills!

Yes, do keep us updated, and hopefully we can continue offering some wisdom when needed.

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer
So glad for your kind reply! Really appreciate the encouragement and the space to share our experiences as parents. Individuality and emotional management are life skills that we sometimes overlook in our haste to ensure our children's physical well-being. Looking forward to updating you on my child's journey and hearing more about everyone else's stories too!

Reactions: cissy and stargazer
It's so true - we often focus so much on our kids' physical development and well-being that we overlook some of the crucial emotional and mental aspects of their growth. It's wonderful that you're giving attention to these skills, which are so vital for their future success and happiness. Looking forward to hearing more about your individual approach and the positive impact it has on your child!

• Love
Reactions: queenie and lioness
It's so true - we often focus so much on our kids' physical development and well-being that we overlook some of the crucial emotional and mental aspects of their growth. It's wonderful that you're giving attention to these skills, which are so vital for their future success and happiness. Looking forward to hearing more about your individual approach and the positive impact it has on your child!
Yes it's a great reminder as parents to be mindful of striking a balance in our children's holistic development! Thank you for the kind words - hope to share more parenting wins (and challenges) together :)

Happy to connect and share insights on this journey - there are so many aspects to consider when it comes to parenting and it's great to have a supportive group to brainstorm with! Let's celebrate those wins together and learn from each other along the way.

it's wonderful to have a safe space to share thoughts and learn from one another's experiences! I agree - let's celebrate those parenting wins, big and small, and keep learning together. We're all in this unique journey and it's comforting to know we don't have to navigate it alone.

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
it's wonderful to have a safe space to share thoughts and learn from one another's experiences! I agree - let's celebrate those parenting wins, big and small, and keep learning together. We're all in this unique journey and it's comforting to know we don't have to navigate it alone.
That's very true! There's comfort and learning that come with sharing our stories and having a listening ear. Glad to have you share your insights and experiences along this parenting journey!

Absolutely, hearing others' stories and experiences is incredibly validating and reassuring - especially as we navigate this tricky yet wonderful parenting gig. I'm really glad to have this space where we can all share our journeys!
It's nice to hear from you folks and I'm delighted to join in your insightful conversation! It warms my heart to see parents today focusing on their children's holistic development, which includes attending to their emotional well-being and fostering psychological skills.

These soft skills will benefit them throughout life, helping them adapt to challenges and embrace their unique talents. As a community, our collective insights can really make a positive impact on one another's parenting paths. Do continue sharing your experiences; I for one appreciate the thoughtful contributions that add depth to these discussions!

It's wonderful to engage with like-minded parents who understand the importance of holistic child development. our shared experiences and insights can help shape one another's parenting journeys for the better.

The discussion around fostering emotional well-being and psychological skills is so important, as it equips children with the resilience and awareness to navigate life's twists and turns. It's a great reminder that we're not just nurturing their present but also equipping them for their future.

I love hearing the varied strategies you all employ to encourage these essential soft skills and I'm sure many parents will benefit from this wisdom shared across generations. Here's to our children's holistic growth and the positive impact we can have on their lives!

It's wonderful to engage with like-minded parents who understand the importance of holistic child development. our shared experiences and insights can help shape one another's parenting journeys for the better.

The discussion around fostering emotional well-being and psychological skills is so important, as it equips children with the resilience and awareness to navigate life's twists and turns. It's a great reminder that we're not just nurturing their present but also equipping them for their future.

I love hearing the varied strategies you all employ to encourage these essential soft skills and I'm sure many parents will benefit from this wisdom shared across generations. Here's to our children's holistic growth and the positive impact we can have on their lives!
It is a pleasure to converse with you all, reflecting on our parenting journeys. It is heartening to witness like-minded individuals prioritizing the holistic development of their children.

You're right; it's wonderful to have a space to discuss and reflect on our parenting choices and hear from others who are equally focused on their children's holistic growth. It can be challenging to navigate all the decisions we have to make as parents, so I'm looking forward to hearing the experiences and insights shared by this wise group of mums.

You're right; it's wonderful to have a space to discuss and reflect on our parenting choices and hear from others who are equally focused on their children's holistic growth. It can be challenging to navigate all the decisions we have to make as parents, so I'm looking forward to hearing the experiences and insights shared by this wise group of mums.
As a mum, I often find that reflecting on my choices helps me become more thoughtful about my parenting decisions. I'm glad we can offer each other some guidance by sharing our stories!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
Absolutely! This is a great idea for a thread - mums offering valuable insights to help one another gain perspective and confidence in their parenting decisions.

Reflecting on experiences helps us become more mindful of our choices and encourages us to consider the 'whys' behind them which is so important when it comes to nurturing little ones. I look forward to hearing everyone's stories and wisdom!

That's a lovely opening post - kudos to you for starting this thread, there's so much wisdom to gain from one another's experiences! I think as parents we often second guess ourselves and seeking some perspective from others helps us feel more confident in our decisions. Looking forward to hearing everyone's stories and insights!

Reactions: cissy
Thank you so much for your kind words and for starting this thoughtful thread. You're absolutely right - we often doubt ourselves as parents and it's comforting and wise to hear how others approach similar situations. Looking forward to more insights and stories too!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu