• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Training Tips

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your tips, wins and struggles here! Let's hear about techniques that worked, things that didn't work but maybe someone else can give it a go, and anything else potty training related!

Me share my experience lah. Reward system worked well to encourage my tot to use the potty. Each time he successfully pooped or peed in the toilet, I'd give him a sticker and after some number of stickers, he could redeem a small toy or outing he likes. This method really helped to reinforce the idea of going potty and made it fun for him.

Also, don't forget to celebrate and make a big fuss over their little achievements! But at the same time, don't stress if they have setbacks - it's normal and part of the process. Just keep encouraging and praising, and eventually, they'll get there!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
If I may share, what worked well for us was the reward system - sticker charts and all that. We also made sure to take her out every hour to sit and try, and then we'd celebrate each success, no matter how small! Also, being consistent with the potty training routine was key - it kinda became a natural habit after a while! We're still not 100%, but yeah, pretty proud of the progress we've made so far. It's such a happy feeling when they get it right!

Yah, reward system can really work well to motivate the little one. For my kid, it was a different kind of treat each time - sometimes an ice cream cone, or a new book, or a trip to the park. Made it more exciting that way, and also taught 'em that going potty isn't just about stickers , but a chance to get all sorts of fun things!

And yah, I agree, we parents should whoop and holler over every success, ha! But also, like you said, no need to stress over setbacks - it's all part of the journey. We just keep encouraging and praising, like you said.

9111781770_0bb498e925_m.jpg

Some tips that helped with my little one was using a reward system - sticker charts worked wonders! Also, incorporating training into a fun game helped make it less daunting and more enjoyable for the wee one.

For us, it was an incentivize-and-distract approach because we didn't want to pressure our toddler too much. We also found that having a consistent routine with plenty of liquid intake and regular toilet breaks helped speed things along.

The whole process still took longer than we thought it would, but the key was patience and consistency!

200w.gif

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
Some tips that helped with my little one was using a reward system - sticker charts worked wonders! Also, incorporating training into a fun game helped make it less daunting and more enjoyable for the wee one.

For us, it was an incentivize-and-distract approach because we didn't want to pressure our toddler too much. We also found that having a consistent routine with plenty of liquid intake and regular toilet breaks helped speed things along.

The whole process still took longer than we thought it would, but the key was patience and consistency!

200w.gif
I'm so desu! Potty-training is like a war, man. You need to plan and be consistent! But yeah, I agree with the sticker chart idea - kinda like a battle strategy haha! It worked wonders for my tot too, especially when we made it into a big fun game.

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer
Good potty training starts with setting up a routine. My kiddo had an easier time once she got the timing down. You know, like when you're teaching them to associate going potty with a specific timeframe. At first, it was every hour, then gradually lengthen the time between trips to the toilet.

And also having some kind of incentive works wonders too! Stickers or little treats helped my one. But ya, remember to keep the rewards modest, nothing extravagant. Just enough to make it seem exciting and worth looking forward to.

Oh, and don't forget to celebrate their successes, no matter how small!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Good potty training starts with setting up a routine. My kiddo had an easier time once she got the timing down. You know, like when you're teaching them to associate going potty with a specific timeframe. At first, it was every hour, then gradually lengthen the time between trips to the toilet.

And also having some kind of incentive works wonders too! Stickers or little treats helped my one. But ya, remember to keep the rewards modest, nothing extravagant. Just enough to make it seem exciting and worth looking forward to.

Oh, and don't forget to celebrate their successes, no matter how small!
For sure, a varied reward system keeps things interesting - the kids see it as less of a chore then. And yup, we gotta celebrate those small wins; it boosts their confidence too!

My tot also loved the idea of 'earning' the treats rather than getting them outright. But I think the biggest motivator for my kid was competition. He wanted to beat his older cousin in everything, so I leveraged on that. Worked like a charm! Ha.

For sure, a varied reward system keeps things interesting - the kids see it as less of a chore then. And yup, we gotta celebrate those small wins; it boosts their confidence too!

My tot also loved the idea of 'earning' the treats rather than getting them outright. But I think the biggest motivator for my kid was competition. He wanted to beat his older cousin in everything, so I leveraged on that. Worked like a charm! Ha.
Using competition as a training motivator is smart! It's also funny how kids love the idea of earning treats rather than getting them given. They're quite ingenious that way, aren't they? Makes the rewards feel more valuable to them.

Using competition as a training motivator is smart! It's also funny how kids love the idea of earning treats rather than getting them given. They're quite ingenious that way, aren't they? Makes the rewards feel more valuable to them.
Oh definitely! It's like they innately understand the value of earning something through hard work - it makes the reward all the more sweet! And it's a great life lesson too, teaching them that most things in life are more fulfilling when earned rather than given 🙂

Reactions: mamamia
Oh definitely! It's like they innately understand the value of earning something through hard work - it makes the reward all the more sweet! And it's a great life lesson too, teaching them that most things in life are more fulfilling when earned rather than given 🙂
That is so true! They say children are great mimics and learners, and this is an excellent way to teach them important life skills. It's a win-win situation because, during the process, they have fun and bond with their parents too.

That is so true! They say children are great mimics and learners, and this is an excellent way to teach them important life skills. It's a win-win situation because, during the process, they have fun and bond with their parents too.
Yeah, it's like a magical window of opportunity for bonding and learning! And it's amazing how much children can absorb and mimic what we do, isn't it? We are their role models, so it makes everything we do so much more meaningful and impactful 🙂

Yeah, it's like a magical window of opportunity for bonding and learning! And it's amazing how much children can absorb and mimic what we do, isn't it? We are their role models, so it makes everything we do so much more meaningful and impactful 🙂
It's incredible the things they pick up on! As parents, we are definitely role models whether we realise it or not. Their curiosity and enthusiasm are a wonderful reminder of how much fun learning can be. It keeps things interesting! 😊

Reactions: sportytina

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu