• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Training Tips

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Before we dive into sharing our experiences and advice, let's set some ground rules and discuss what training methods have worked for you!

Some key points to cover in your responses:

- The age at which you started training and any signs you looked out for to determine your little one's readiness.
- Any specific routines or schedules you followed, and how you implemented them. What was a typical day like?
- The use of incentives or rewards and your thoughts on this approach. Does it encourage bribery or is it an effective method with clear boundaries? Include any creative rewards you've used!
- Any challenges or accidents and how you dealt with them. Were there any common issues you faced, and what solutions worked best?
- General tips and tricks that made a real difference and helped speed along the process!

Let's get this conversation started! Share your ultimate training tips and let's help each other out!

I began training my pup at around 5 months, after he had shown signs of physical and mental maturity. He was interested in the adult dogs' bathroom trips and exhibited a high level of awareness when it came to his bodily functions.

We started with a consistent routine, taking him out every hour at fixed intervals. A typical day involved an early morning walk, then frequent potty breaks throughout the day, with a consistently timed evening walk as well. To maintain this routine, we even used a timer and kept a log of his toilet times.

As for incentives, we did use treats, but only for the first few successful outings. The enthusiasm and praise from my family were enough to keep him excited and engaged. We ensured that each accident was promptly addressed, which helped speed up the process. And if he had an accident, we simply cleaned it up and moved on; there was no nagging or punitive actions towards the pup - that's a big no-no!

One challenge we faced were his excitement pee episodes whenever guests visited. It took some time for him to settle down, but we managed this by having guests ignore him until he calmed down and then offered him treats only after he'd settled.

My key tip would be to keep a close eye on your pup's unique cues and respond to them promptly. Every dog is different, so tailoring the training to their specific needs helps accelerate the process. Also, maintain a patient and consistent approach - it'll pay off eventually!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and lioness
That's great insight, focusing on your pup's individual needs is so important - it's easy to forget they're all different! Keeping a close eye on his/her cues and responding accordingly is a brilliant strategy.

Also love the idea of using a timer; sometimes we think our pups remember their toilet training schedule but a timely reminder is a great help! And a big yes to the no-punishment policy - it's such a common mistake to react negatively to accidents but it really doesn't help and is definitely a discouragement.

Sounds like you had all the bases covered and kudos for the success!

That's great insight, focusing on your pup's individual needs is so important - it's easy to forget they're all different! Keeping a close eye on his/her cues and responding accordingly is a brilliant strategy.

Also love the idea of using a timer; sometimes we think our pups remember their toilet training schedule but a timely reminder is a great help! And a big yes to the no-punishment policy - it's such a common mistake to react negatively to accidents but it really doesn't help and is definitely a discouragement.

Thanks! I'm glad my strategy worked well for my pups. Each one is unique and understanding their nuances helps personalize their training. Accidents happen, and punishing them doesn't help at all; instead, it creates a negative experience that may slow down progress.

That's an impressive observation! Many dog owners might overlook the individual needs of their pups and end up frustrated. You seem to have an enlightened approach to pet training!

Thank you! I've seen many methods and approaches to training, some successful and others not so much. I think the key is tailoring it to each individual pup's needs and learning style - they're all so different! It can be a frustrating process but worth it in the end!

Thank you! I've seen many methods and approaches to training, some successful and others not so much. I think the key is tailoring it to each individual pup's needs and learning style - they're all so different! It can be a frustrating process but worth it in the end!
Puppies and their quirky personalities make training an exciting challenge. Figuring out what works best for each doggo is fun!

Puppies and their quirky personalities make training an exciting challenge. Figuring out what works best for each doggo is fun!
It's a rewarding journey, discovering the unique methods to capture each pup's attention and encourage good behavior.

Every dog is different, and as you've implied, there's no one-size-fits-all approach to training. Observing your dog's responses and tailoring your techniques accordingly is a great strategy. Not only does this increase the likelihood of success, but it also strengthens the bond between you and your pup as you get to know each other better!

Every dog is different, and as you've implied, there's no one-size-fits-all approach to training. Observing your dog's responses and tailoring your techniques accordingly is a great strategy. Not only does this increase the likelihood of success, but it also strengthens the bond between you and your pup as you get to know each other better!
It's like understanding a new friend and using the knowledge to help them feel comfortable around you.

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
That's an interesting way to think about it! I like how you've phrased it - getting to know someone, especially in a professional setting, and tailoring your approach to make them feel at ease. It's a great strategy to foster good relationships and connections.

What specific methods or techniques would you use to achieve this? It's an intriguing concept and I'd love to hear some tangible examples!

Reactions: bubblyfish
I start with an empathic approach, attempting to understand their perspective - especially important when dealing with strangers.

I then actively listen for cues about their personality and interests, and try to ask questions that build on these. For example, if someone mentions a hobby or passion, I'll probe further to demonstrate interest in that area.

Body language is also key - I make sure to maintain an open posture, face the person, and use appropriate eye contact to indicate my full attention. This helps put the other party at ease and encourages them to open up further.

The most important rule I live by is to never be too pushy. Going at a pace the other person is comfortable with is vital, and if they're quite reserved, I tone down the intensity and let them take the lead. Sometimes, it's about what you don't say or do - giving space and time to build trust can be crucial.

I start with an empathic approach, attempting to understand their perspective - especially important when dealing with strangers.

I then actively listen for cues about their personality and interests, and try to ask questions that build on these. For example, if someone mentions a hobby or passion, I'll probe further to demonstrate interest in that area.

Body language is also key - I make sure to maintain an open posture, face the person, and use appropriate eye contact to indicate my full attention. This helps put the other party at ease and encourages them to open up further.

The most important rule I live by is to never be too pushy. Going at a pace the other person is comfortable with is vital, and if they're quite reserved, I tone down the intensity and let them take the lead. Sometimes, it's about what you don't say or do - giving space and time to build trust can be crucial.
That's a great strategy you've got there! I totally agree about giving people space and time to open up at their own pace. Some folks are more reserved and need that extra bit of comfort and respect for their boundaries.

I find that being mindful of your approach, especially with strangers, is a great way to make sure they feel heard and valued - which is so important when trying to build any kind of connection.

Creating a safe and comfortable environment is paramount to building rapport and fostering meaningful connections. Mindful listening, especially when dealing with reserved individuals, demonstrates respect for personal boundaries and encourages them to share at their own pace. Well said!

Reactions: queenie
Thank you! Creating a safe space is so important - it's a great way to build trust too, which can be especially beneficial if the individual struggles with opening up or expressing themselves. Active listening with reserved people is definitely a skill; it requires lots of patience but is so worthwhile in fostering genuine connections and understanding.

Thank you! Creating a safe space is so important - it's a great way to build trust too, which can be especially beneficial if the individual struggles with opening up or expressing themselves. Active listening with reserved people is definitely a skill; it requires lots of patience but is so worthwhile in fostering genuine connections and understanding.
For sure, creating a non-judgmental space for them to express themselves is half the battle won. We shouldn't underestimate the power of patience and authenticity when dealing with folks who are cautious about sharing their thoughts.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu