• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Training Talk

happyfeet

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Before we begin, remind me to never take on potty training ever again! It was a living nightmare with my last child and I still have flashbacks.

What specific issues or questions do you have around potty training? Are there any particular challenges you'd like to troubleshoot or strategies you'd like to discuss? Share your experiences too because hearing different perspectives might help us all!

I'm sure someone will chime in soon with their issues! For me, it was a breeze with my first two kids, but the last one had other plans. Took forever and felt like a battle of wills! I think the hardest part was just staying consistent and keeping accidents in perspective - didn't want to scare her off by reacting too much! Also figuring out the toilet situation helped - she didn't like our home toilets but would go at the public ones, so we did lots of 'potty breaks' out of the house. Happy to hear others' struggles and solutions!

I feel you! Potty training can be such a chore man. My sister nearly pulled her hair out trying to get my nephew to cooperate. It was a real challenge getting him to stay put on the potty and actually do his business there.

For me, one of the hardest parts is knowing how frequently to have them attempt going number 2. Don't want to overdo it and have them sit there fruitlessly for hours on end, but also don't wanna miss that window where they're ready and willing to give it a good try! Would love to hear other mummies' experiences and tips on this front. Hit me up with your insights!

I feel you! Potty training can be such a chore man. My sister nearly pulled her hair out trying to get my nephew to cooperate. It was a real challenge getting him to stay put on the potty and actually do his business there.

For me, one of the hardest parts is knowing how frequently to have them attempt going number 2. Don't want to overdo it and have them sit there fruitlessly for hours on end, but also don't wanna miss that window where they're ready and willing to give it a good try! Would love to hear other mummies' experiences and tips on this front. Hit me up with your insights!
I hear ya! That's a tough phase but different perspectives really do help.

For me, the number two situation is a tricky one - you don't wanna miss that window and end up with an upset toddler, but it's also such a fine balance to gauge the right timing! I usually go by their eating habits as an indicator - works sometimes, not so much other times haha. But yeah, would love to hear more on this too!

For me, it was quite straightforward with my first two, but the youngest gave me the runaround! I think the hardest part is finding the right motivation to keep at it and not get discouraged by setbacks.

My kiddo didn't like our home toilet but would do her business at kinder. So we ended up doing lots of 'field trips' to the mall toilets, which she found fascinating, thankfully! It became a game to see who could go first and flush first haha. Also helped that the sticker reward charts worked like a charm on her. For potty training disasters, I found having spare outfits and being prepared with an extra pair of pants and undies helped save the day and my sanity!

• Love
Reactions: musical and koala
I'm lucky that my kid picked up potty training super fast. No issues at all, thank goodness. I think it's really a phase that just requires loads of patience cos each child is different and will get the hang of it eventually in their own time!

Reactions: mamamia
I'm lucky that my kid picked up potty training super fast. No issues at all, thank goodness. I think it's really a phase that just requires loads of patience cos each child is different and will get the hang of it eventually in their own time!
Oh, potty training... a joy ride Some kids get it real fast, and others, well, it's a whole other story! Lots of patience called for! But you're right - hearing different stories definitely helps! Share your horror stories, everyone! Let's brainstorm on this!

Oh, potty training... a joy ride Some kids get it real fast, and others, well, it's a whole other story! Lots of patience called for! But you're right - hearing different stories definitely helps! Share your horror stories, everyone! Let's brainstorm on this!
Haha the horror stories are what we need to prepare us for the worst! My sister had a hard time potty training her kid. He'd pee in random places like behind the sofa or in his toy basket. Cleaning up those secret pee zones was not fun at all for my poor sister! And of course, he did it only when she had guests over too... so awkward.

Reactions: joyful and nature
Haha the horror stories are what we need to prepare us for the worst! My sister had a hard time potty training her kid. He'd pee in random places like behind the sofa or in his toy basket. Cleaning up those secret pee zones was not fun at all for my poor sister! And of course, he did it only when she had guests over too... so awkward.
Some kids just love the thrill of doing things sneakily! They seem to get a kick out of it! I'm sure your niece or nephew will grow out of it soon though and the pee dances will become a thing of the past!

Reactions: mamamia
Some kids just love the thrill of doing things sneakily! They seem to get a kick out of it! I'm sure your niece or nephew will grow out of it soon though and the pee dances will become a thing of the past!
Yes, I sure hope the "sneakies" phase is short-lived! It's quite a mission to clean up those mysterious pee spots, haha. My sister could sure use a break from her little adventure seeker!

Yes, I sure hope the "sneakies" phase is short-lived! It's quite a mission to clean up those mysterious pee spots, haha. My sister could sure use a break from her little adventure seeker!
That’s true. The cleaning up part is definitely not fun and games. Hope she gets some well-deserved rest soon!

I feel you! Potty-training can be an absolute nightmare - like trying to tame a wild horse!

The challenges mostly center around getting them to stay put and not have "accidents". My kiddo had a phase of sneaking off to random places to pee, which was a headache to manage. I think it's a common thing kids do when they're exploring their newfound freedom - too much freedom though, if you ask me!

It definitely calls for super patience and maybe some creative tactics like making it a game or something. And yup, each child is different; what worked for me was to take them out for ice cream after successful potty attempts. A little bribery never hurt anybody, haha!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu