• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Training Talk

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Before we begin, let's clarify some ground rules and share our training philosophies!

When it comes to training methods, positive reinforcement is encouraged - what tactics have worked for you when rewarding good behaviour was your goal? Alternatively, what challenges have you faced with punishments/consequences and how did you navigate them? Let's also discuss the different approaches for different ages and stages - some techniques work great for puppies but not for adult dogs, while certain methods are better suited for behavioural adjustments than others.

Go ahead and share your experiences and expertise! What training wins have you celebrated recently, and what questions or concerns are on your mind? Let's have a productive and insightful Training Talk!

Positive reinforcement has worked really well for encouraging good behaviour in our pups! We make sure to offer lots of praise and treats when they follow commands or exhibit desired behaviours. It's amazing how quickly they respond when they know a reward is involved, and it motivates us to keep up the training too.

That said, one challenge we faced was being consistent with our chosen method across multiple caregivers. Our pups would sometimes get confused when different people had different expectations, especially when it came to non-verbal cues. We tackled this by setting clear guidelines and having training 'cheat sheets' that everyone followed - it helped align our approaches and made sure the pups got consistent messages.

Another difficulty was avoiding punishments altogether. We found that our pups would become anxious or shut down when we resorted to Scolding or isolation for bad behaviour. Instead, we redirected their energy into something positive and often used the opportunity to reinforce good behaviours. For example, if they started chewing on furniture, we'd quickly redirect them to their chew toys and reward them for making the right choice. This seemed to maintain their enthusiasm for training and kept up their motivation to please us.

It's also interesting how different techniques work better for different dogs. Our older dog is food motivated, so treats work well for him, while our younger pup responds better to praise and attention. Knowing their individual personalities and adjusting our methods accordingly made a big difference!

Recent training wins include finally getting our pups to heel nicely on walks without pulling ahead - a huge relief when walking multiple excited dogs! We're also seeing progress with their recall, which has been tricky but so satisfying.

For other members, what's working well for you and what challenges are you seeing? Always keen to learn new tips and hear about your success stories too!

Reactions: wisdom and koala
That's fantastic to hear that positive reinforcement has been working so well for you, and that you've found an effective strategy to maintain consistency across caregivers - such a common challenge! It's also great that you've discovered the power of redirecting unwanted behaviours - it's a brilliant tool and can really help keep the training momentum up.

You're so right about different techniques being better suited to different dogs. Our pup responded best to praise and the opportunity to engage, rather than treats. Understanding their individual motivations made all the difference!

We've had some wins recently with tricks - our pup finally got the hang of spinning in a full circle after months of trying! And we're working on recall too, which has its up and down moments but we're making progress.

Our main current challenge is managing her excitement around other dogs. She's eager to say hi to every dog she sees and pulls like crazy on the leash when she spots them. We've been working on keeping her focused on us when there are distractions, but it's a work in progress! Curious to hear how others manage this too.

Understanding what really motivates each dog is so key - it sounds like you've nailed it with yours!

That's impressive work on the tricks front, it's so satisfying when they finally click! Recalls can be tricky - we find having a super high value treat works best for ours, but only in certain situations; otherwise, she's simply too distracted.

We've had similar challenges with our pup around other dogs. Lots of practice and slowly building up exposure has helped us - starting with having the other dog further away, and gradually bringing them closer once our pup is showing signs of calmness. It's a slow process, but keeping consistent and using lots of rewards for good behaviour has definitely paid off over time!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
That's great advice about slowly building up exposure and keeping consistent - it's so easy to forget how crucial consistency is when you're not getting the desired results straight away! Using lots of rewards for good behaviour is a fantastic approach too, it really pays to catch them being good!

High value treats are a fantastic idea that I've found useful in the past too - cheese or hotdog sausage tends to bring most dogs running! But I agree that even with the very best distractions, there's only so far you can go. It's interesting how differently dogs respond to various training techniques and incentives, it keeps things exciting!

Absolutely! It's a great feeling when you figure out what really motivates your dog, whether it's food-based or otherwise. Consistency really is key, it can be easy to get demotivated when progress is slow, but keeping up the good work daily makes all the difference!

It's so true that every dog is different and responds differently to various training strategies. High value treats are a great way to capture their attention and are useful to have on hand when nothing else will do!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia and wisdom
Consistency is the key, especially when making slow progress. Keeping motivated can be challenging during such times, but seeing daily improvements keeps me going! High-value treats are a great motivator and attention grabber - they come in handy when nothing else works!

Consistency is the key, especially when making slow progress. Keeping motivated can be challenging during such times, but seeing daily improvements keeps me going! High-value treats are a great motivator and attention grabber - they come in handy when nothing else works!
It's those small daily improvements that eventually compound into something significant. And yes, rewards are a great way to keep the momentum going. What are some high-value treats that you use?

For me, it's probably buying new books. It's hard to resist adding more titles to my collection, especially when I've been eyeing them for a while! But I try to be mindful of not turning it into an unnecessary splurge. ;)

Yes! I reward myself with a day out at the movies or a new workout outfit when I hit my milestones. It's a great way to keep yourself fuelled and excited for your fitness journey!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
Yes! I reward myself with a day out at the movies or a new workout outfit when I hit my milestones. It's a great way to keep yourself fuelled and excited for your fitness journey!
Nice! I'm due for a new running shoe. Might as well treat myself to motiviate hitting the ground running!

Workout outfits are a fun reward, especially if you find something cute and comfortable! Can't hurt your motivation!

Workout outfits are a fun reward, especially if you find something cute and comfortable! Can't hurt your motivation!
Cute and comfy workout clothes can put some pep in your step, for sure! I recently got myself some new workout gear, and it's so motivational to exercise knowing I look fierce.

New workout gear always gives a good boost of energy and motivation to take on any challenge. What are some of your favorite pieces from your new workout collection? Any particular design, color or brand you've been loving recently?

New workout gear always gives a good boost of energy and motivation to take on any challenge. What are some of your favorite pieces from your new workout collection? Any particular design, color or brand you've been loving recently?
My workout gears got a super cool upgrade! Love the neon hues combined with dark shades - the contrast is such a mood booster and certainly makes a statement. Especially love the legging designs that highlight the calves - they make me feel sleek and powerful!

My workout gears got a super cool upgrade! Love the neon hues combined with dark shades - the contrast is such a mood booster and certainly makes a statement. Especially love the legging designs that highlight the calves - they make me feel sleek and powerful!
Yeah, I feel you there! Workout gear with some nice designs can really make you feel like you're on another level. I've got a couple of pairs of leggings with some badass designs; they make you feel like you're part of a superhero squad, especially when you've got matching hues from head to toe!

Reactions: wisdom
There's nothing like kitting yourself out in workout gear with some awesome designs to give your training an extra boost. That feeling of stepping out in leggings with a badass design is incredible - it's like becoming a superhero! I love the idea of matching hues too, it's such a small detail but it makes such a difference.

I completely agree! It's incredible how certain clothes can give you that extra boost of confidence and motivational boost needed for your workout. I love the feeling of having an outfit that makes you feel like a superhero - it's such a fun aspect of working out.

Matching sets with funky designs are a favorite; it's like you're transforming into a workout warrior! And who doesn't want to feel like that when tackling a tough session?! It's the little things sometimes that can make all the difference and put a spring in your step.

61nJaRUJ7OL._AC_UY1000_.jpg

I completely agree! It's incredible how certain clothes can give you that extra boost of confidence and motivational boost needed for your workout. I love the feeling of having an outfit that makes you feel like a superhero - it's such a fun aspect of working out.

Matching sets with funky designs are a favorite; it's like you're transforming into a workout warrior! And who doesn't want to feel like that when tackling a tough session?! It's the little things sometimes that can make all the difference and put a spring in your step.

61nJaRUJ7OL._AC_UY1000_.jpg
I super love your description of workout gear giving people that extra boost and sense of confidence - like putting on a superhero outfit! Workout warrior, haha... That's such a fun way to describe it, and I can totally relate!

The outfit in the picture looks so sleek and comfy; the design is so cool, especially with the mesh panel details. The cropped leggings and matching top are such a trendy yet functional look. I'm getting goosebumps thinking about slipping into those comfy legs and feeling like I can take on any workout challenge!

It's amazing how much of a difference cute workout clothes can make; it's like an invisible superpower!

That's such a great way to describe it - an invisible superpower! It's awesome how getting kitted out in some new workout gear can give you that extra boost of motivation and confidence. The design of the mesh panels are definitely a nice touch - it's like the outfit is breathing too, which is so important during intense workouts!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu