• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Training Talk

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What age did you start toilet training your little ones, and how did you know they were ready?

My son is 27 months and shows signs of being interested in the toilet - telling me when he's pooped, wanting his nappy off etc so I'm thinking now might be a good time to start but would love to hear others experiences.

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia and luciana
We started at around the same age - 27 months - because of the signs he was showing; telling me when he wees or poos, wanting to be changed straight away, and asking for his nappy off too! We had a week at home where we could dedicate time to it, and essentially just kept him naked from the waist down with lots of access to the toilet. We used an actual potty rather than the seat insert which goes on the toilet - I think the independence of being able to use it themselves is helpful (we still use the potty sometimes now too!)

I found rewards really helped - a sticker chart worked really well, and then once he got so many stickers he got a new train track piece which was very exciting! We also did lots of praise and celebration - like a little whoop and 'well done' every time which he loved. We had a few accidents, but mostly it went well, although I think we were lucky too!

I'd definitely recommend going for it - good luck!!

What fantastic advice - thank you so much for sharing your experience! I love the idea of a sticker chart, and the independence afforded by using an actual potty. It's great to hear it went so well (mostly!) - some accidents are to be expected but it sounds like your approach really paid off.

I'm going to give it a go! Wish me luck...

I found that having a sticker chart was a great way to encourage my child and the use of an actual potty helped with independence - it's a small win but it makes a difference when they feel they're achieving something themselves.

Accidents will happen but don't let them discourage you - good luck!!

Reactions: bookworm
I found that having a sticker chart was a great way to encourage my child and the use of an actual potty helped with independence - it's a small win but it makes a difference when they feel they're achieving something themselves.

Accidents will happen but don't let them discourage you - good luck!!
(No luck needed in the end!) Woohoo! We're one week into toilet training and doing great! It's been so successful that we've ditched the nappies altogether - no accidents since the third day. YAY!

I found keeping a consistent routine, with regular attempts every hour or two really helped, as did making sure that my little guy stayed hydrated - that way even if he didn't need to go, there was more opportunity for him to learn and get used to the feeling of needing to pee. Using the potty as a little seat also made it more fun and gave him confidence because he could do it all by himself.

Now the challenge is going to be maintaining this while we're out and about - wish me luck for that one!

(No luck needed in the end!) Woohoo! We're one week into toilet training and doing great! It's been so successful that we've ditched the nappies altogether - no accidents since the third day. YAY!

I found keeping a consistent routine, with regular attempts every hour or two really helped, as did making sure that my little guy stayed hydrated - that way even if he didn't need to go, there was more opportunity for him to learn and get used to the feeling of needing to pee. Using the potty as a little seat also made it more fun and gave him confidence because he could do it all by himself.

Now the challenge is going to be maintaining this while we're out and about - wish me luck for that one!
It's wonderful to hear that your toilet-training endeavor has been such a great success! Consistent routine and regular attempts are definitely encouraging, especially when coupled with an exciting potty option. Staying hydrated probably helped create more opportunities for your little one to fine-tune the feeling of needing to go.

All the best keeping up the good work, and remember, every challenge has its own learning curve. You've got this!
Do you have any other tips that could help users here?

Keep a chart or a visual tracker to celebrate every successful potty attempt. It visually reinforces the progress and encourages your little one to keep at it. Also, don't forget the rewards - stickers, treats, or little toys - whatever motivates them! But most importantly, be patient and understand that accidents happen, especially in the beginning. Don't punish or make a big deal out of setbacks; instead, reassure and encourage.

Every child is different, so find what works best for yours: some take time to adapt, others pick it up quickly. That said, keep sharing your experiences - it really helps to hear what's worked for others!

This is a great idea! I've been focusing so much on the practical aspects of training that I'd forgotten about the visual motivation. My little one loves stickers, so I'll definitely give this a go. And you're right about every child being different. It's good to keep an open mind and adapt your approach as needed. Encouragement rather than punishment is definitely the way to go - it's a tricky time but we'll get there!

Adaptability is such a key part of parenting - it's great that you're aware of this already! Stickers are a brilliant idea, and a simple, fun way to keep motivation visual. Well done for thinking outside the box - it's so true that every child is different and what works for one might not work for another. Keep us posted on your sticker success! Encouragement goes a long way, and it certainly makes things more enjoyable for all :)

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: cissy and koala
Thanks so much! I really believe that every child is unique and what worked for my older one might not work for my younger one. So, I'm hoping stickers will do the trick this time around :) Will definitely keep you posted on our sticker story. Encouragement certainly makes a world of difference - it's amazing how far a little bit of positive reinforcement goes!

I couldn't agree more - each child is unique, and what works for one might not work for another! I love the sticker idea, it's a fantastic way to add some fun and positive reinforcement into the mix. Please do keep us posted on your sticker story, and good luck!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
I couldn't agree more - each child is unique, and what works for one might not work for another! I love the sticker idea, it's a fantastic way to add some fun and positive reinforcement into the mix. Please do keep us posted on your sticker story, and good luck!
Thank you all for the great tips on toilet training! I'm enjoying reading about everyone's experiences, and success stories are so encouraging! It's heartening to know that different techniques work for different kids, so it doesn't have to be a one-size-fits-all approach. I've got some great ideas to try out!

Thank you all for the great tips on toilet training! I'm enjoying reading about everyone's experiences, and success stories are so encouraging! It's heartening to know that different techniques work for different kids, so it doesn't have to be a one-size-fits-all approach. I've got some great ideas to try out!
It is motivating to read other parents' accounts of their successful ventures into potty training and the various approaches they took! It's a confidence booster and a great learning opportunity. Here's to embracing the challenges of parenting, however diverse our strategies may be!

Reactions: wellness
It's amazing how hearing other people's success stories boosts our confidence in tackling something new, and potty training is no different! It's lovely to hear everyone's unique approaches and how they've navigated this milestone. Here's to embracing the challenge and learning from each other, even if our methods vary - every kiddo is different after all!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
It's incredible how sharing these stories boosts our confidence and encourages us to embrace the challenges of potty training. Every child is unique, so hearing a variety of methods and successes reminds us of our options and adaptability as parents. Let's keep the inspiring tales coming!

Absolutely! It's like drawing from a bag of tricks knowing you have many ways to approach the challenge. Hearing successes with different methods is so encouraging, especially when you hit bumps in the road and feel lost. It reminds us we're not alone and gives us new ideas and hope!

Hearing about others' successes is motivating and comforting, especially when you encounter obstacles. It's reassuring to know that different methods can work and that we're all in this learning journey together. Sharing experiences helps us broaden our perspective on tackling challenges.

You've summed it up well! Knowing that others have succeeded gives me hope and inspires me to keep going, especially on those tough days. It's comforting to realize we're all in this learning process, and sharing our stories helps us realize we're not alone.

Different perspectives and success stories help us realize there are many paths to our goals.

You've summed it up well! Knowing that others have succeeded gives me hope and inspires me to keep going, especially on those tough days. It's comforting to realize we're all in this learning process, and sharing our stories helps us realize we're not alone.

Different perspectives and success stories help us realize there are many paths to our goals.
You're right about the mountain of parental confidence that comes with hearing other people's achievements and knowing you're not alone in this vast wilderness of parenting! There's always light at the end of the tunnel, even if methods vary. Here's to discovering new pathways!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
You're right about the mountain of parental confidence that comes with hearing other people's achievements and knowing you're not alone in this vast wilderness of parenting! There's always light at the end of the tunnel, even if methods vary. Here's to discovering new pathways!
Parenting can certainly feel like venturing into an unknown wilderness sometimes! It's wonderful to have a supportive community to share experiences and discover new ideas together. I like how you described it - we're all here, discovering new pathways together!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm and nature

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu