• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Training Tales

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your potty-training success stories! How did you do it? Any tips, advice or funny fails to share while we're at it?

Share your potty-training success stories! How did you do it? Any tips, advice or funny fails to share while we're at it?
My son was a real champ - super easy peasy to train. We did it when he turned two, and within a few days, he was mostly accident-free. We made a really big fuss about it, praised him a lot, and rewarded him with sticker rewards (his favorite!). That really motivated him. He's always been a straightforward kid, so once he realized the potty was for peeing and pooping, that was it - no accidents after the first week.

My only tip is to follow your child's cues and don't force it until they're ready - it makes such a difference! We had a more difficult time with our daughter; she wasn't interested and liked her nappies, so it took much longer. But that's another story! Also, don't be afraid to use incentives - stickers worked wonders for us! There's no shame in it - it's a great motivator!

What about you? Any success stories or disasters you can share?

My son was a real champ - super easy peasy to train. We did it when he turned two, and within a few days, he was mostly accident-free. We made a really big fuss about it, praised him a lot, and rewarded him with sticker rewards (his favorite!). That really motivated him. He's always been a straightforward kid, so once he realized the potty was for peeing and pooping, that was it - no accidents after the first week.

My only tip is to follow your child's cues and don't force it until they're ready - it makes such a difference! We had a more difficult time with our daughter; she wasn't interested and liked her nappies, so it took much longer. But that's another story! Also, don't be afraid to use incentives - stickers worked wonders for us! There's no shame in it - it's a great motivator!

What about you? Any success stories or disasters you can share?
Stickers as a reward is genius! My son loves collecting them too, might as well put them to good use! We started potty training when he turned two as well, and like you, I found that it's best to follow his cue and not push him too hard. He'd tell me when he needed to go, so that really helped.

We had one funny incident though - he announced very loudly in the mall lavatory that he needed to "let go of a stinky one." Luckily, we were in the cubicle! But it caught me off guard because he'd never said that before, and the urgency in his voice was hilarious! I didn't know whether to laugh or get him to hurry up! I think another shopper waiting outside heard because I could hear snickering.

Stickers as a reward is genius! My son loves collecting them too, might as well put them to good use! We started potty training when he turned two as well, and like you, I found that it's best to follow his cue and not push him too hard. He'd tell me when he needed to go, so that really helped.

We had one funny incident though - he announced very loudly in the mall lavatory that he needed to "let go of a stinky one." Luckily, we were in the cubicle! But it caught me off guard because he'd never said that before, and the urgency in his voice was hilarious! I didn't know whether to laugh or get him to hurry up! I think another shopper waiting outside heard because I could hear snickering.
Haha yes! Kids say the darnedest things and at the most unexpected moments too! Mine would just freeze and grab onto me whenever the need arises, leaving me in a panic to find a toilet quick! But yea, 2 seems to be a good age for starting training and that sticker reward sounds like a great idea to try!

Haha yes! Kids say the darnedest things and at the most unexpected moments too! Mine would just freeze and grab onto me whenever the need arises, leaving me in a panic to find a toilet quick! But yea, 2 seems to be a good age for starting training and that sticker reward sounds like a great idea to try!
It is pretty interesting to see how children's personalities differ even at such a young age - some more vocal than others! I'm glad things are going well for you too. Does your kiddo also outgrow phases or interests really quickly, or am I just spoiled for choice these days? There's so many cute and interesting learning/training aids out there!

It is pretty interesting to see how children's personalities differ even at such a young age - some more vocal than others! I'm glad things are going well for you too. Does your kiddo also outgrow phases or interests really quickly, or am I just spoiled for choice these days? There's so many cute and interesting learning/training aids out there!
My kiddo seems to move on from one fascination to another pretty quickly, yes! One week he's all about dinosaurs, the next he's obsessed with cars and has forgotten all about his dinos. It's adorable, although it does get a little tricky to keep up sometimes! I find that keeping a few simple toys/rewards on hand helps a lot - Stickers, as mentioned, are a long time favorite, but also little collectable toys work well too. They don't have to be elaborate at all! I try not to go overboard with rewards - a small treat or two does the job without making it seem like a huge ordeal.

How about you? Do you have any fails to share from your training days, or are you still in the midst of it all?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu