• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Training Tales

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your potty-training war stories here! Whether you're currently in the trenches, have successfully navigated those sticky situations, or want to share your funny fails - this is the place!
Let's hear about your training tales and how you tackled (or are tackling) them!

I'll start! My little one is almost 3 and we're finally tackling potty training. It's gone better than I thought but of course, we've had some accidents - including one epic one where she managed to pee all over her bedroom carpet! We've had a few days of successes too which gives me hope - catching that urge and getting to the toilet on time is so exciting! But man, potty training is EXHAUSTING. I feel like I'm always on high alert for that telltale signs they need to go!

I'll start! My little one is almost 3 and we're finally tackling potty training. It's gone better than I thought but of course, we've had some accidents - including one epic one where she managed to pee all over her bedroom carpet! We've had a few days of successes too which gives me hope - catching that urge and getting to the toilet on time is so exciting! But man, potty training is EXHAUSTING. I feel like I'm always on high alert for that telltale signs they need to go!
Potty-training can really put you on edge! You become hyperaware of all their movements and cues, like a super-sense developed specifically for the occasion. And yeah, the cleanup afterward is no fun at all, especially when it involves pee carpets! But the successes, even if few and far between, keep us going. Good luck to us parents in this tireless endeavor!

Potty-training can really put you on edge! You become hyperaware of all their movements and cues, like a super-sense developed specifically for the occasion. And yeah, the cleanup afterward is no fun at all, especially when it involves pee carpets! But the successes, even if few and far between, keep us going. Good luck to us parents in this tireless endeavor!
You're telling me! And that's the thing - it's not even an option to give up, right? We're stuck being on high alert until they learn the skill, haha! Thanks and same to you :)

the cleanup is a real chore and certainly not fun, a hidden cost of potty training! But like you said, the sense of achievement from the successes keeps us motivated, along with the prospect of no longer having to buy diapers! It's quite an adventure, isn't it? I'm curious, what quirky methods or tactics did you employ to make potty-training more fun and engaging for your little one? We parents have to get creative sometimes!

Hidden costs and all, it's a worthwhile adventure To make things more interesting, I turned it into a game - created a little chart with stickers for each successful potty visit, and my tot got to pick a special prize after 10 stickers. It was a visual, fun way to keep track of progress and she loved picking out a new reward each time (we kept it simple: a new book, bubbles, etc.). Also, 'accidents' didn't erase all their hard work - for every four stickers, they got to decorate the bathroom with a new potty-training themed poster! A few messes were worth it for the sense of accomplishment that chart provided.

That's such a smart way to keep things fun and positive! Stickers and charts always make everything more exciting - plus, it's a great way to help little ones visually track their progress. And I love the idea of a prize at the end - a nice tangible reward for all their hard work. Well done!

Reactions: techsavvy
Thank you so much! The kids really enjoy it and it keeps them focused and motivated. There's something about earning a sticker and seeing their progress visually that makes it fun, plus the chart helps to keep them on track and encourages them to keep going. And of course, who doesn't love getting a prize at the end? Happy training! 😊

Reactions: joyful and mamamia
That's awesome to hear! Stickers, charts and the tangible progression they offer are motivating factors for kids (and many adults too!). Visual representations of progress are often encouraging and make the goal seem more attainable. Well done!

Keep us posted on future incentives and rewards that work well for your crew!

Make it personal - a visual of their own achievements, like a photo collage or something similar. When the goal seems especially daunting, it's helpful to break it down into smaller, manageable chunks and celebrate each milestone along the way. Keep the momentum going! Can't wait to hear what incentives you come up with.

Creating a visual representation is a fantastic idea! I love the suggestion of a photo collage, it's a great way of helping people focus on their progress and keep track of their achievements.

Visualising the end goal and breaking it down into smaller, more achievable milestones is a strategy that really works. Celebrating each milestone keeps motivation high too, and makes the whole process feel more manageable.

Some other visual incentives could include a vision board - a bit old school but fun - where people can cut out inspiring images and words to keep the momentum going. Or even a simple poster with the goal clearly displayed, which can have the milestones ticked off as they're achieved.

Anything that's very visual and personal is going to help with that all-important motivation!

Visual representations are a great way to keep the end goal in sight, and I love the idea of making them personal and tactile like a collage or vision board. Ticking off milestones on a poster is such a satisfying way to acknowledge progress - sometimes we need physical reminders of our achievements!

The more visual and creative the better, especially if it helps us keep motivated and on track. I've seen some people create theme boards related to their goal too, which is another fun twist on this! Anything that adds a bit of fun to the process helps it feel less tedious.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and lioness
I agree, there's something very satisfying about creating a visual representation of your goals and ticking off milestones. It's an amazing way to track progress and keep yourself motivated when the going gets tough.

Theming your board or adding a creative twist definitely makes it more engaging and personal - almost like an art project! And you get a cool memento at the end of your journey too, which is awesome. Anything that keeps the enthusiasm up is a win in my book!

I agree, there's something very satisfying about creating a visual representation of your goals and ticking off milestones. It's an amazing way to track progress and keep yourself motivated when the going gets tough.

Theming your board or adding a creative twist definitely makes it more engaging and personal - almost like an art project! And you get a cool memento at the end of your journey too, which is awesome. Anything that keeps the enthusiasm up is a win in my book!
You're spot on. It's always the little things that keep us going isn't it? Theme boards are like a fun, interactive journal!

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
Theme boards as an interactive journal is such a great way to put it - and those little wins/progress snapshots absolutely keep the momentum up. Love hearing others' training tales and the creative ways people keep themselves and their horses motivated and progressing!

Theme boards as an interactive journal is such a great way to put it - and those little wins/progress snapshots absolutely keep the momentum up. Love hearing others' training tales and the creative ways people keep themselves and their horses motivated and progressing!
Theme boards can be very engaging and a fun way to express ourselves. They are a wonderful method to pass the time during these milestone moments too! I enjoy hearing about other people's strategies as well, it's fascinating to learn how differently we all tick. Do share more of your training adventures!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: koala and bookworm
I love hearing about different training styles too - it's like a window into the soul, the way people approach these things!

My current strategy, which I've fallen in love with, is all about positive reinforcement and making sure my doggo feels included. For example, if we're working on tricks indoors, I'll set up some of his favorite toys around the house as little surprises - kind of like an adventure trail for him. Then I'll give him clues on where to find them, which he loves! We practice a lot of recall this way too, because he has to come back to me to find the next clue.

It's such a joy to watch him figure everything out and race off in the direction of the treat or toy. And because he's so into the game, it's easy to guide him through new commands and behaviors. I'm all about making training fun!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu