• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

tracking toddler's development

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
racking what my almost 2-year old does daily has become fascinating!

I've been documenting his speech progress, mostly because I'm curious if he's on track or ahead since he's not speaking much yet. But he understands everything, which is so cool! His receptive language is through the roof - following 2 step commands with ease most of the time and understanding so many words. He also nods yes/no when I ask him questions, which is adorable.

He's very physically capable too. He's been walking since 10.5 months, and now runs everywhere, climbs up and down stairs and crawls like a champ. He's also figuring out how to use his fine motor skills to open things, dress himself somewhat (still needs help with sleeves) and he can feed himself with a fork/spoon quite expertly!

What are some of the unique ways you track your tot's development? I'm curious if there's an app or journal that I've overlooked which might make documenting easier. I feel like I forget half the cute things he does!

I love that you're documenting your little one's progress - it's such an exciting time!

My daughter turned two recently, and like yours, her receptive language is amazing. She understands so much, and it's adorable how she nods or shakes her head in response to questions. Her speech is coming along too, but slowly - she's definitely not as verbose as some other kids her age. But every child is different!

As for tracking, I use an app called 'Developmental Milestones' which has been really helpful. It has a ton of milestones for the first 5 years, divided into categories like physical, language, cognitive etc. You can add custom milestones too, which is great for all the quirky things they do. There's also a notes section, so I can jot down funny things she says or does.

I also keep a journal, mainly for my own memories, where I note down little anecdotes and cute moments. I find writing them down helps me remember dates and details better - plus it's fun to look back on!

I love that you're documenting your little one's progress - it's such an exciting time!

My daughter turned two recently, and like yours, her receptive language is amazing. She understands so much, and it's adorable how she nods or shakes her head in response to questions. Her speech is coming along too, but slowly - she's definitely not as verbose as some other kids her age. But every child is different!

As for tracking, I use an app called 'Developmental Milestones' which has been really helpful. It has a ton of milestones for the first 5 years, divided into categories like physical, language, cognitive etc. You can add custom milestones too, which is great for all the quirky things they do. There's also a notes section, so I can jot down funny things she says or does.

I also keep a journal, mainly for my own memories, where I note down little anecdotes and cute moments. I find writing them down helps me remember dates and details better - plus it's fun to look back on!
The app you use sounds nifty! I find that journaling is also a great way to track developments, especially with toddler's whose vocabulary may not be advanced enough to convey their thoughts; their actions and mannerisms say so much more.

That's a great point! My toddler can be very expressive but doesn't always have the words yet to describe what she wants or needs, so journaling with photos and short videos is super helpful to track her development too. I often look back on the entries from months ago and realize how far we've come :)

It's amazing what a difference looking back on journal entries can make - it's so satisfying to realise how much your little one has grown and developed! Photos and videos are a wonderful way to capture these special moments too.

It's amazing what a difference looking back on journal entries can make - it's so satisfying to realise how much your little one has grown and developed! Photos and videos are a wonderful way to capture these special moments too.
Yes, it's quite something to look back on those early days and realize how far you've come as a parent and how much your toddler has developed! It's a nice feeling of accomplishment and appreciation for the journey.

Photos and videos are a great way to capture these memorable milestones and they help relive those special moments. Looking at those precious memories is a wonderful way to appreciate the growth and changes right in front of you that sometimes go unnoticed in the busyness of everyday life.

I remember the sheer joy I felt when my toddler took his first steps or said his first words, and now, seeing him run around and hearing him chat away non-stop is heartwarming and hilarious! It's a fun phase with lots of adorable moments to cherish.

Yes, it's quite something to look back on those early days and realize how far you've come as a parent and how much your toddler has developed! It's a nice feeling of accomplishment and appreciation for the journey.

Photos and videos are a great way to capture these memorable milestones and they help relive those special moments. Looking at those precious memories is a wonderful way to appreciate the growth and changes right in front of you that sometimes go unnoticed in the busyness of everyday life.

I remember the sheer joy I felt when my toddler took his first steps or said his first words, and now, seeing him run around and hearing him chat away non-stop is heartwarming and hilarious! It's a fun phase with lots of adorable moments to cherish.
It's nice to have mementos of their early years, especially for those who grow up so fast! Captures the cute moments before they're gone!

Mementos are precious - we fill up baby books with them and it's so lovely to look back on those milestones, especially when they're all grown up! We have some adorable keepsake books coming soon which will make great mementos too! They grow so fast that before you know it they're off exploring the world and discovering new things everyday - time certainly flies!

It's true, they grow up so quickly! We have our little one's baby book filled with all sorts of keepsakes including photos, hospital tags, first locks of hair etc. It's lovely to look through it sometimes and reminisce, especially now she's a big sister too! It's amazing how these special memory books help us keep track of the early years - it goes by in such a blur otherwise! Can't wait to see your adorable keepsake books too, they sound wonderful!

Mementos are precious - we fill up baby books with them and it's so lovely to look back on those milestones, especially when they're all grown up! We have some adorable keepsake books coming soon which will make great mementos too! They grow so fast that before you know it they're off exploring the world and discovering new things everyday - time certainly flies!
Those keepsake books sound like a wonderful idea. The years really do fly by, and it's heartwarming to have physical reminders of all the memories.

Yes, it's lovely to have physical tokens of their growth! Keepsake books sound like a wonderful way to capture these precious moments, especially with artistic people like us who appreciate visuals. I agree, it's exhilarating yet bittersweet to witness their journey from toddler to independent explorer!

Reactions: doctormama
It's true, they grow up so quickly! We have our little one's baby book filled with all sorts of keepsakes including photos, hospital tags, first locks of hair etc. It's lovely to look through it sometimes and reminisce, especially now she's a big sister too! It's amazing how these special memory books help us keep track of the early years - it goes by in such a blur otherwise! Can't wait to see your adorable keepsake books too, they sound wonderful!
I have a scrapbook filled with memories like that too! I sometimes take it out and flip through it; it's amazing how fast my little tot has grown! He's going to grow up before I know it.

Those keepsake books sound like a wonderful idea. The years really do fly by, and it's heartwarming to have physical reminders of all the memories.
It's true; time really flies by in a blur, especially with young children! They grow up so quickly that it's lovely to have some tangible mementos to look back on and reminisce about their early years. Those keepsake books are a charming way to capture some special moments. I think it's also a great way to appreciate the present and be mindful of the little milestones, which can sometimes get overlooked amidst the exhaustion of parenthood!

I have a scrapbook filled with memories like that too! I sometimes take it out and flip through it; it's amazing how fast my little tot has grown! He's going to grow up before I know it.
Wow, that's so sweet. Yeah, time really flies; we're always left marveling at how fast our kids grow!

Reactions: eternity
Wow, that's so sweet. Yeah, time really flies; we're always left marveling at how fast our kids grow!
Time surely flies, especially when you're busy being a parent! Before you know it, your tiny baby is running and talking. It's such a delightful phase to witness their little personalities developing and seeing the world through their curious eyes.

• Love
Reactions: nature and cissy
Time surely flies, especially when you're busy being a parent! Before you know it, your tiny baby is running and talking. It's such a delightful phase to witness their little personalities developing and seeing the world through their curious eyes.
It's an exciting stage where every day brings new surprises and challenges as they explore their newfound abilities.

it's a thrilling period witnessing their enhanced mobility and newfound skills! You'll notice significant mental and emotional developments too as they become little individuals with personalities of their own. It's delightful to experience and support their journey, encouraging their curiosity and learning. The world is new again through their eyes!

It's a fascinating phase, watching them zoom around with newfound freedom and discovering their capabilities. You'll see a big change in their comprehension and emotions too - it's amazing how they start forming their little personalities! Supporting their curiosities and providing a nurturing environment to explore boosts their confidence so much. There's so much warmth and wonder in witnessing their perspective on the world; it's like seeing everything afresh!

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm
It's incredible how they're constantly learning and absorbing information, and supporting their curiosities definitely helps shape who they'll become. I love watching them figure out their emotions too - it's a very special stage!

It's fascinating to witness their minds at work as they soak everything up like little sponges! Their curiosity, wonder and excitement about the world is such a beautiful thing to observe and fuel. Watching them navigate emotions and learn to express themselves is a challenge too - lots of ups and downs but all part of growing up and developing those important life skills.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu