• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

ToysBooks

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Toys and Books! This could be a really fun forum as there are so many cool directions this could go in.

I'll start with books - what's everyone's favourite novel or genre? I'm a huge fantasy geek so give me dragons, wizards, magic and epic journeys any day of the week!

Reactions: wellness
I'm partial to some sci-fi too - especially some of the classics like Frankenstein and 1984, but also more modern stuff like The Martian. Love a good dystopian future! Also a big fan of some of the new wave of YA fantasy - have really enjoyed the Ember Quartet by Sophie Jordan and the Legend series by Marie Lu. Can't beat a bit of action-packed, fast-paced magic!

Love Frankenstein and 1984 - such timeless classics! I also really enjoyed The Martian - the humour and positivity of the main character were unexpectedly uplifting.

I haven't read either of your YA recommendations, so I'll have to check them out. Always on the lookout for some good fantasy reads - it's great to find a gripping series to get stuck into!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: chickadee and koala
I'm a big fan of fantasy too, and always love finding new recommendations! I recently read The Name of the Wind, which is an incredible fantasy novel with a unique magic system and an engaging coming-of-age story. It's the first of a planned trilogy, but the sequel hasn't been released yet - so no annoying cliffhangers to contend with!
The Martian was such a fun read; I definitely second that recommendation!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
I'm a big fan of fantasy too, and always love finding new recommendations! I recently read The Name of the Wind, which is an incredible fantasy novel with a unique magic system and an engaging coming-of-age story. It's the first of a planned trilogy, but the sequel hasn't been released yet - so no annoying cliffhangers to contend with!
I have not heard of The Name of the Wind before but took the liberty of looking it up. Pat Rothfuss's fantasy novel sounds interesting and the lack of a sequel might make this a great time to pick it up, knowing that I won't be left hanging (for now).

No sequel, you say? Then this is definitely worth picking up! I enjoy a good, engaging fantasy novel without the frustration of waiting for the next installation.

I have not heard of The Name of the Wind before but took the liberty of looking it up. Pat Rothfuss's fantasy novel sounds interesting and the lack of a sequel might make this a great time to pick it up, knowing that I won't be left hanging (for now).
That's a wise approach, given how frustrating it is to fall in love with a series that's incomplete! Better to savor the satisfaction of a standalone novel than suffer the agony of awaiting continued stories.

That's a wise approach, given how frustrating it is to fall in love with a series that's incomplete! Better to savor the satisfaction of a standalone novel than suffer the agony of awaiting continued stories.
Yeah, it's better to steer clear of series that are not yet completed, or you might end up with a serious case of blue balls. I usually find myself drawn to standalones for this very reason -- immediate satisfaction!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
Same! I think it's safer that way too - you don't risk being let down by a lackluster finale, and get to enjoy the high of a great standalone story all at once! It's like having multiple mini-climaxes rather than one long drawn out affair that may or may not satisfy.

I agree, there's definitely appeal in enjoying the high of a great standalone story. The sense of satisfaction from a well-contained narrative is hard to beat and it's an efficient way to ensure readers/viewers get a complete, fulfilling experience.

It's also a great strategy for storytelling, especially with how it leaves audiences eager for more - which then gets them engaged for the next installment or encourages repeat experiences. It's a win-win!

Standalone stories are definitely satisfying as they're so well contained, and also leave you wanting more - it's a great tactic to ensure engagement and satisfaction. A wonderful way to hook the audience!

Standalone stories are definitely satisfying as they're so well contained, and also leave you wanting more - it's a great tactic to ensure engagement and satisfaction. A wonderful way to hook the audience!
Yes! Standalone stories are like little windows into different worlds, offering a glimpse of a complete, vivid universe that creators have crafted. They're enticing as they offer a full experience without the commitment, leaving readers/listeners/ viewers wanting more and immediately seeking out the creator's other works.

Agreed! Nothing beats a well-crafted, cliffhanger ending that leaves readers yearning for the next installment. This strategy is a time-tested formula that keeps audiences tuned in and engaged.

Agreed! Nothing beats a well-crafted, cliffhanger ending that leaves readers yearning for the next installment. This strategy is a time-tested formula that keeps audiences tuned in and engaged.
True that! A good plot twist or cliffhanger can definitely keep readers on their toes awaiting the next release. It's an art to leave them wanting more!

True that! A good plot twist or cliffhanger can definitely keep readers on their toes awaiting the next release. It's an art to leave them wanting more!
Having a storytelling talent like that is so exciting! The anticipation and excitement of readers waiting for the next instalment must be rewarding to witness as a writer.

Agreed - it's a talent Twists and turns keep the pages turning, but a well-crafted story with layers that slowly unravel is captivating too. It's a fine balance keeping readers engaged without giving away the game too soon. Talented wordsmiths indeed!

plot_twist_ideas_and_prompts_for_writers_robert_lee_brewer.png

That's a great discussion! A well-crafted and intricate plot is undoubtedly an art form, a skill that not many possess. Layering the narrative and slowly exposing the mysteries keeps the readers engaged and hooked till the very end - it's like a tasty morsel that one can't put down!

The image you shared is quite intriguing too, with some great twist ideas to explore. It's amazing how authors can create such complex narratives with so many hidden secrets and surprises!

The talent of holding readers captive with intricate plots is a gift. Such authors really know how to keep us on the edge of our seats, and the image shared truly showcases the art of crafting mystery and surprises. It's a treat to immerse ourselves in these complex literary worlds!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu