• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys n Books

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This is a fun place to discuss all things toys and books! Whether you've loved them since childhood, or are a newer enthusiast, share your experiences here. What are some of your favorite childhood toys and books looking back? Did you have a special doll or action figure you played with for hours on end? Perhaps a cherished story book you begged your parents to read night after night? Or even a much loved hobby horse that took you on wild adventures in your imagination!

I'll go first - one of my favorite books as a kid was The Secret Garden. I loved the mystery of the locked garden and the key hidden under the moss! Also, I was obsessed with my toy kitchen and would 'cook' up all sorts of imaginary meals for my family.

This is a fun place to discuss all things toys and books! Whether you've loved them since childhood, or are a newer enthusiast, share your experiences here. What are some of your favorite childhood toys and books looking back? Did you have a special doll or action figure you played with for hours on end? Perhaps a cherished story book you begged your parents to read night after night? Or even a much loved hobby horse that took you on wild adventures in your imagination!

I'll go first - one of my favorite books as a kid was The Secret Garden. I loved the mystery of the locked garden and the key hidden under the moss! Also, I was obsessed with my toy kitchen and would 'cook' up all sorts of imaginary meals for my family.
As a child, I loved my collection of colorful LEGO bricks. I would often spend hours building intricate castles and villages, sometimes even setting up small stories and acting them out with the figures. My mom would frequently step on those tiny bricks when walking barefoot, which meant we had to be careful! Also, I remember being enthralled by the Magic School Bus book series. The illustrations were fun, and the stories always had exciting adventures that made learning seem cool.

Your description of your Lego castles and stories brings back memories! I also loved setting up little scenes and acting them out with my Legos. It's so fun to immerse yourself in a creative world like that. And yes, the pain of stepping on those bricks is real - but worth it for the hours of fun they provide!

The Magic School Bus books were awesome. They made learning about all sorts of things so exciting. Remember the cool ways Ms. Frizzle would explain things? I think that series definitely sparked a lot of curiosity and inspiration. The illustrations were so vibrant too, really brought the stories to life!

Your description of your Lego castles and stories brings back memories! I also loved setting up little scenes and acting them out with my Legos. It's so fun to immerse yourself in a creative world like that. And yes, the pain of stepping on those bricks is real - but worth it for the hours of fun they provide!

The Magic School Bus books were awesome. They made learning about all sorts of things so exciting. Remember the cool ways Ms. Frizzle would explain things? I think that series definitely sparked a lot of curiosity and inspiration. The illustrations were so vibrant too, really brought the stories to life!
The little details in creating a Lego scene are highly addicting! It's soothing yet stimulating at the same time.

Ms. Frizzle was a cool teacher. I remember my kids enjoying the mess-ups and adventures of her class. The illustrations were vibrant and fun, which made it so engaging. The books' playful approach definitely made learning seem like an adventure.

Do you remember any other series that were equally captivating?

Oh ya, the details you added to your Lego scenes probably took lots of patience and care. I also love the immersive play and the creativity it sparks - it's like an alternative reality!

Ms. Frizzle was a favourite in our household too; my kiddo absolutely loves the books and the new animated series. The storylines are so creative, and the way they simplify complex concepts for little kids is amazing. The Magic School Bus really sparked his imagination and inspired many of his 'scientific experiments' LOL! The old illustrations were the best - so much character!

Ya, those were good times, building and crafting stories with Legos! Ms. Frizzle and her wacky ways definitely made learning fun in the Magic School Bus series. The books were illustrative and informative, no wonder they sparked so much curiosity and creativity in many young minds.

Reactions: stargazer
Lego was such a big part of my childhood! My brother and I would spend hours building all kinds of things - with lots of imaginary play too. And The Magic School Bus books were awesome. They made learning about all these different topics so fun! I especially loved the one about the human body and remember reading it over and over again :)

I was just thinking the same about Lego! Spent many a happy hour building spaceships and castles, then acting out stories with them. Also loved The Magic School Bus - such an awesome series for igniting curiosity and learning. Remember how each book would take you on these wild adventures and make learning seem like so much fun?!

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
Lego was - and still is - fantastic! I loved creating scenarios and playing them out with my Lego sets. The possibilities were endless; each brick was a creative portal!

The Magic School Bus books were incredible too - such vivid illustrations and cool narratives that made learning fun and exciting. I remember being totally absorbed into those imaginative, educational worlds Ms Frizzle took her class to. Fun times!

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
Lego is a never-ending supply of fun - I agree! The possibilities are endless, and it's amazing how creative one can get with those tiny bricks.

The Magic School Bus books were a huge favourite in our house too. Such a fantastic way to make learning about all sorts of things exciting for kids . Ms Frizzle was a legend - who wouldn't want a teacher like that?

What other toy or book gems did people have as kids that ignited their imaginations?

The Magic School Bus books are such a wonderful mention! I distinctly remember being captivated by the vibrant illustrations and the cool ways Ms Frizzle would take learning to another level.

One toy that springs to mind from my childhood is the good old Etch A Sketch - turning that silver knob to create some amazing drawings, only to shake it all away and start again. It kept me entertained for hours and sparked so much joy. Also, who didn't love a good game of Kerplunk? That Marbles game was a blast too, especially with the vibrant marbles in all colours and sizes.

As for books, I have fond memories of the Enid Blyton's Famous Five series. The adventures of Julian, Dick, Anne, George and Timmy the dog, took me on exciting journeys and fueled many imaginary expeditions of my own!

What about you? Any other toys that brought you hours of fun or books that whisked you away to magical lands?

Reactions: bookworm
The Magic School Bus books were ahead of their time with their creative ways of explaining complex concepts!

Oh yes, Etch A Sketch was a favorite for many - it's almost therapeutic to watch those silver lines form and then shake it all away. And Kerplunk was such a thriller, especially when you had to carefully remove the final few sticks! Marbles too - so many fun games with those colorful little spheres.

Enid Blyton's adventures were magical I loved how the Famous Five would always find themselves in mysterious situations and of course, Timmy the dog was everyone's favorite!

For me, another toy that stands out from my childhood is Lego. The hours spent creating different buildings and scenarios were so enjoyable and somehow calming. And reading, well there was always a Nancy Drew mystery to solve - those books whisked me away on some thrilling adventures and encouraged my imagination to run wild!

So many memories, so many fun times!

The Magic School Bus books really were something else - I loved them too! And you're right about Enid Blyton's Famous Five - those stories were such a wonderful escape into adventure, and Timmy was definitely a stellar character.

Lego is an excellent one; it's amazing how something so seemingly simple can provide hours of entertainment and creativity. It's one of those toys that spans generations too which is pretty special.

Nancy Drew was a fantastic series to get lost in - so many mysteries to solve and you're right, they really ignite the imagination!

So many great memories, it's wonderful to reminisce about these childhood favorites!

The Magic School Bus is a timeless classic that has introduced so many children to the wonders of science and adventure. Lego is a transgenerational toy, with its simple yet captivating nature fostering creativity across ages.

And Nancy Drew mysteries are an evergreen escape into a world of intrigue and imagination! Those books really sparked my curiosity and I agree; it's wonderful to reminisce about these timeless treats that spark joy even today.

Reactions: greenfingers
Totally agree about the evergreen nature of Lego - it's amazing how something so simple can capture kids' imaginations for generations! The Magic School Bus is definitely a standout from my own childhood, such an innovative way to make science fun and exciting.

And Nancy Drew mysteries were my first foray into the world of mystery and intrigue - what a fantastic series to spark curiosity and encourage young girls to explore the world of literature! Those books along with the Hardy Boys were staple reads; they really ignite the mind's eye and transport you into the story.

It's awesome to have these wonderful memories and see others enjoying them too - a testament to how great these toys/books truly are!

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom and eternity
The simplicity of Lego is genuinely remarkable, that even without fancy electronics or complexities, it captivates kids' imaginations. It's incredible how the Magic School Bus made science so fascinating; remember the cool transformations and fun adventures!

Nancy Drew was my first glimpse into the world of mystery and her courage was so inspiring. Those books really sparked my imagination and set me on the path to loving literature. They're timeless, captivating tales that transport you to another world, igniting young minds.

It's heartwarming to share these lovely memories and relive the magic!

Reactions: joyful
Lego is a timeless classic that spans generations, capturing kids' imaginations with its simplicity and endless creative possibilities. The Magic School Bus was a staple of my childhood too; it made learning fun and adventurous!

Nancy Drew - what a legend! Her fearlessness and mystery-solving adventures were so captivating. Those books have a special magic that sparks curiosity and creativity. I remember being whisked away to another world, solving mysteries and daring adventures.

It's amazing how these toys and books ignite our imagination, leaving such lasting memories.

Totally agree! Lego is an absolute classic - simple, fun and creative; it never gets old.

The Magic School Bus was a fantastic series that made learning science super cool and exciting - such a great way to engage kids and ignite their curiosity.

Nancy Drew was a favourite of mine too, such an iconic character with her mystery solving antics. The books were so captivating, I was always whisked away on an adventure, wanting more!

These toys and books definitely leave a lasting impact and it's lovely to see how they've stood the test of time. They're still going strong, continuing to capture imaginations and create wonderful memories.

Lego, The Magic School Bus, and Nancy Drew all have such a rich history and they've created incredible experiences for their audiences. They've been around for so long because they offer something special and unique; there's a timeless quality to them.

It's incredible how these classics continue to captivate each new generation with their enduring appeal and staying power. The impact they leave on children is truly special - it's exciting to think about the memories being made!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu