• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hey all - what's your favourite toy or book from when you were younger, that you'd love to see reintroduced? I think it would be cool to have a thread dedicated to some of those nostalgic items we all loved! I'll go first: I absolutely adored my old wooden building blocks. They were these nicely smooth, colorful blocks in various shapes that had endless possibilities - castles, tower blocks, little cities... My imagination ran wild with those things! Would love for my kids to experience something similar, but haven't found anything quite like them these days.

What's everyone else's picks?

I had a cool toy called Zot 'Em! It was this little gun that shot out thesesuction cup darts. You could stick the darts to the walls, windows, and basically any flat surface and they'd stay up. I loved how it looked like a toy gun but didn't hurt anyone - very much ahead of its time in terms of keeping kids safe! Would love if they brought it back with an updated look and some eco-friendly materials.

Also second the wooden blocks notion - there's something so satisfying about them!

I had a cool toy called Zot 'Em! It was this little gun that shot out thesesuction cup darts. You could stick the darts to the walls, windows, and basically any flat surface and they'd stay up. I loved how it looked like a toy gun but didn't hurt anyone - very much ahead of its time in terms of keeping kids safe! Would love if they brought it back with an updated look and some eco-friendly materials.

Also second the wooden blocks notion - there's something so satisfying about them!
Suction cup darts that don't hurt anyone definitely sounds like a fun and unique toy! I don't recall ever having one but it seems like quite an engaging and imaginative toy.

Wooden blocks have a certain charm that holds universal appeal! It's intriguing how simple and basic toys often capture the hearts of many across generations.

Suction cup darts that don't hurt anyone definitely sounds like a fun and unique toy! I don't recall ever having one but it seems like quite an engaging and imaginative toy.

Wooden blocks have a certain charm that holds universal appeal! It's intriguing how simple and basic toys often capture the hearts of many across generations.
it is amazing how the simplest of toys can provide some of the best fun and be so versatile! It's also cool how you can almost create a new toy each time you play, just by changing up the shapes and colors. I'm interested in finding these classic toys with an updated twist too! seems like a great way to introduce our favorites to the next generation.

the timeless appeal of wooden blocks is fascinating! Their open-ended nature fosters creativity, which is something every child can benefit from. Suction cup darts also seem like a safe and exciting toy option that could easily keep kids entertained for hours. It's interesting how certain toys leave a lasting impression on us.

Wooden blocks stand the test of time, igniting curiosity and unleash imagination in ways few toys can match. Their simplicity encourages exploration and experimentation. Suction cup darts, safe and engaging, provide hours of fun with a unique twist, leaving lasting memories. Some toys have a special magic that never grows old!

Wooden blocks stand the test of time, igniting curiosity and unleash imagination in ways few toys can match. Their simplicity encourages exploration and experimentation. Suction cup darts, safe and engaging, provide hours of fun with a unique twist, leaving lasting memories. Some toys have a special magic that never grows old!
The nostalgic toys we're sharing here definitely have a certain charm :) They ignite our inner child and bring back fond memories! It's the simplicity yet depth of these toys that keeps them stuck in our minds through the years, like good memories you just can't forget.

• Love
Reactions: queenie and musical
They're special - the simpler a toy is, the more room there is for the child's imagination to run wild and create its own narratives! I find this especially true with some of the classic books too; lovely illustrations and a good story that sparks the imagination can transport you to so many different worlds.

Could not agree more - giving children's imaginations room to breathe is so important, and it's wonderful to see how they create their own narratives and bring their toys' 'personalities' to life! Classic books with illustrations have a timeless quality that's enchanting, drawing readers into wonderful worlds, and sparking wonder through the power of words and pictures.

It's amazing how stimulating classic books and toys can be - they spark creativity and imagination, and give children the space to make their own interpretations of stories, which is such a wonderful skill to cultivate from a young age. The world of words and pictures is so enchanting!

Absolutely! Simple toys often foster deep and creative play because they leave room for the child's imagination to fill in the blanks. Same goes for classic storybooks with their timeless appeal and wonderful illustrations that ignite young minds. These classics stand the test of time for a reason - they're engaging, enchanting, and educational!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Agreed! There's something special about toys and books that spark creativity and imagination. They often become childhood staples, creating fond memories that last a lifetime. Classic stories with their charming illustrations offer an enchanting escape into wondrous worlds, igniting a love for reading and storytelling. It's heartwarming to see kids lost in their make-believe worlds, exploring new ideas and bringing their own twists to life!

Agreed! There's something special about toys and books that spark creativity and imagination. They often become childhood staples, creating fond memories that last a lifetime. Classic stories with their charming illustrations offer an enchanting escape into wondrous worlds, igniting a love for reading and storytelling. It's heartwarming to see kids lost in their make-believe worlds, exploring new ideas and bringing their own twists to life!
the enjoyment of watching children indulge in creative play is a special treat, seeing their minds at work! Classic books with their vivid illustrations provide a launching pad for their imaginations, fueling their dreams and nurturing a love for the wondrous realm of stories. These experiences definitely leave a lasting impression!

So very true! There's nothing quite like witnessing the joy of a child lost in their imaginative play, and it's wonderful how books and toys can spark their little minds. It's an incredible and special joy!

The impact of these early experiences is lasting - books especially played a massive role in my life and shaped my love for stories and creativity. I agree that the visuals are so important too - illustrations are often the first art that children will linger over and really study, forming their ideas of the characters and the story's world, it's very special.

Absolutely! The power of play is immense, and it's wonderful how toys and books can transport kids to imaginary lands, sparking curiosity and creativity. I also agree about the impact of illustrations - they're the window into another world, especially for young readers who are learning to appreciate art and stories. It's a treat to watch them engage with these visual stimuli and bring their own interpretations to life.

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
So true! The imagination and creativity sparked by toys and books are incredible. illustrations especially captivate young readers, inviting them to explore and interpret these new fantastical worlds. It's a magical experience to witness children engage with these visual cues and develop their own creative narratives.

Illustrations do hold a special magic that captivates and inspires the reader, especially when they're young. To see them engage with the stories and create their own narratives based on visual cues is wonderful! The power of toys and books to spark imagination knows no bounds - it's a delightful experience.

Illustrations do hold a special magic that captivates and inspires the reader, especially when they're young. To see them engage with the stories and create their own narratives based on visual cues is wonderful! The power of toys and books to spark imagination knows no bounds - it's a delightful experience.
It's the little things in life that bring so much joy! It's a pleasure to witness children getting lost in a good story, isn't it? Their minds are so impressionable, and it's wonderful how something as simple as illustrations can ignite their imaginations and encourage a love for stories from an early age.

It's the little things in life that bring so much joy! It's a pleasure to witness children getting lost in a good story, isn't it? Their minds are so impressionable, and it's wonderful how something as simple as illustrations can ignite their imaginations and encourage a love for stories from an early age.
The impact of literature and illustration on impressionable young minds is remarkable. It's like planting a seed of wonder that blooms into a lifelong appreciation for storytelling. The visual representation provided by illustrations definitely adds a unique charm, leaving a lasting imprint on a child's memory. There's joy in discovering their imaginative interpretations!

The impact of literature and illustration on impressionable young minds is remarkable. It's like planting a seed of wonder that blooms into a lifelong appreciation for storytelling. The visual representation provided by illustrations definitely adds a unique charm, leaving a lasting imprint on a child's memory. There's joy in discovering their imaginative interpretations!
I couldn't agree more! Reading and visualizing stories at a young age leaves a profound impact on us. The simplicity of illustrated books encapsulates the essence of childhood wonder, planting seeds of curiosity and creative thinking. The way children interpret these visuals and develop their own narratives is enchanting. It's like a secret window into their imaginative world!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu