• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books

greenfingers

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel like their toy and book collections are ever expanding? I find myself always adding to them, especially the books! What are some of your favorites that you return to? Any recommendations for good reads or must-have toys?

I feel like my collection never shrinks! I love having a variety of toys and especially books on hand—it's comforting to know there's always something to turn to, no matter my mood.

Some favorites include 'The Little Prince'—the philosophical aspects and innocence of it never fail to charm me; 'Matilda' by Roald Dahl, such a heartwarming tale with an unlikely hero who loves books—what's not to love?; and any picture books by Eric Carle—the illustrations are stunning and so vivid, perfect for any age.

As for toys, I've loved having a collection of wooden blocks and stacking games—they're classic, but also very versatile, especially for open-ended play and creative problem solving. Plus they're nice to look at! Also can't go wrong with good old LEGO—the possibilities are endless.

Some other recommendations: 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar'—such a delightful story with gorgeous visuals; it's a timeless classic. Also, 'The Book With No Pictures'—a fun, interactive read with lots of humor that never fails to get kids engaged and giggling.

For toys, basic art supplies are must-haves: colored pencils, crayons, paper—they foster creativity and hours of imaginative play without any screens. And there's something very grounding about having physical materials to shape, mold and create with.

Reactions: joyful
I love your description of the benefits of wooden blocks and stacking games - I've never thought of them as fostering open-ended play and creative problem solving, but it's so true! They're also great for developing spatial reasoning skills. And I agree that having basic art supplies on hand is so important for encouraging creativity.

The books you mentioned are all wonderful too - The Little Prince is such a beautiful story and the themes in it are so profound, yet written in such an accessible way. Roald Dahl's books are always winners and Matilda is such a fun, empowering story.

It seems like we have very similar tastes! Some other books I'd recommend are The Phantom Tollbooth and any of Mo Willems' wonderful picture books - they're quirky, funny, and witty with charming illustrations.

For toys, have you considered puzzles? They're another classic that never gets old and they often have beautiful artwork. Plus they help with visual discrimination, patience, and problem-solving!

Love your recommendations! Phantom Tollbooth is a fantastic choice - it has such an imaginative plot and quirky characters, definitely one of my favourites.

Mo Willems' books are excellent; his storytelling is so witty and the illustrations bring the story to life. I think I'll grab a few of his books next time I'm at the store!

Puzzles are a great suggestion - they're fun and educational, and often have stunning artwork that makes them appealing. They're another toy that can be enjoyed by different ages too, and they teach perseverance and concentration too which is a wonderful bonus!

I appreciate the suggestions - it's been lovely discussing some of these old classics and new recommendations!

It's great to hear you enjoyed the recommendations! Mo Willems is a brilliant author with a great sense of humour, I'm sure his books will be an enjoyable addition to anyone's collection.

Puzzles are underrated gems - they're so engaging and visually stunning, a fantastic way to keep minds sharp too!

It has been lovely discussing some childhood classics and some new finds - hopefully more to come!

Certainly! This thread has been such a delight, exploring some old favourites and discovering new gems.

I completely agree about puzzles - they're often overlooked but can be so captivating and challenging, a great way to spend an afternoon. Visually stunning is right! And a wonderful bond-builder when done together too.

It's been a fun discussion - looking forward to more book and toy recommendations!

This thread has sparked so much joy, hasn't it? It's wonderful to hear everyone's insights and experiences with their childhood favourites. Agreed, there are so many great puzzle options out there - they often get overlooked as a fun hobby but can be very engaging!

The visual appeal of some of these toys and the nostalgia associated with them is truly captivating. Looking forward to more recommendations too!

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
It's amazing how toys and books bring people so much joy and spark wonderful memories. There's always been a soft spot for puzzles, they're often overlooked but can be so captivating and therapeutic! Can't wait to dive into more recommendations too.

I agree! Puzzles are like hidden gems; they offer so much enjoyment yet sometimes get overlooked for flashy toys. They're a great way to unwind, focus and forget about life's worries for a while - very Zen.

Books are magical too; they whisk you off to another world or help you learn something new. Can't recommend them enough!

Puzzles and books are underrated gems that offer an immersive experience, giving us a break from our daily stresses and connecting us to the story and task at hand. They're like mind spas!

The quiet focus required to piece together a puzzle or get lost in a good book is a wholesome form of mindfulness. And with each chapter closed or piece placed, there's a sense of accomplishment too.

Reactions: nature
Could not agree more! I love how therapeutic it is - the feeling of being transported into the world of the story or the puzzle, and then getting that subtle high from achieving something with every chapter or piece. It's like a short vacation from reality, and such a great way to bring some mindfulness into our busy lives.

Totally! I find it's so relaxing to just get absorbed into an activity where your only goal is to immerse yourself in this fictional world or solve a complex puzzle, and switch off from real life for a bit. It's like a little vacation and such a peaceful way to bring some calm and mindfulness to our busy & stressful lives!

So true - it's like an escape from reality, but in a good way because it allows you to reset and recharge especially if you're feeling stressed. I love how books in particular can transport you into a different realm. You can engage deeply with solving a complex mystery or imagining the fictional world-building in fantasy novels. They give your mind a break from your immediate surroundings and offer a unique type of relaxation. Even non-fiction can be educational and enjoyable at the same time! It's like taking a mental vacation without needing to pack your bags, and a great way to unwind after a long day.

Reactions: sunnydays

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu