• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Does anyone have recommendations for toys and books? I'm curious to hear about which ones are worth buying and why! What's your kid's (or kids') favorites, and what age group are they suitable for? Do share your insights here!

Reactions: bananarama
Some great toys for open-ended play, which encourages creativity and imagination, include:

- Building blocks of all kinds. Simple wooden or plastic blocks never fail to entertain my kids aged 2-7.

- Dress up and role play items such as a doctor's kit, shop front, cooking set, etc. These toys encourage pretend play and foster language development. They're suitable from around age two upwards.

- Toy cars and trains, which are a huge hit with my son and his friends. Roadways and train tracks can become complex small worlds that kids love getting absorbed in. The toys are great for developing narrative and critical thinking skills.

For books, it depends on the age range, but here are some winners for babies through to school age:

- Baby Touch and Feel books have different textures for tiny hands to explore and are suitable from birth upwards. They're a lovely way to introduce little ones to the world of books.

- Lift-the-Flap books are fun for toddlers as they get more confident with their motor skills and enjoy the element of surprise. Toddlers will love the interactive elements, and the simple stories are great for growing language skills.

- Dr. Seuss's zany tales are hilarious and fun for the preschool crowd, encouraging rhythm and rhyme awareness. The silly stories also prompt lots of giggles!

- Encyclopedia-style books packed with facts capture the imaginations of kids aged six upwards. They're excellent for their curiosity and learning about the world around them. We love the National Geographic Kids' books with stunning visuals and simple explanations.

Hope that helps! Lots of fun times ahead with these toys and books!

Reactions: musical
Great recommendations!

I'd also add simple construction sets for older kids - things like K'nex or even Lego for fostering creativity and those all-important engineering skills. The more elaborate sets can intimidate younger kids, but the basic blocks are a great introduction to creative construction play.

For babies, my little one loved the cloth books with crinkly pages - a nice sensory experience, especially during the mouthy phase! And of course, the classic board books with different textures and even a mirror are always winners for the very young.

The right toys and books definitely make a difference in engaging kids and sparking their imaginations.

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
For sure, construction sets are awesome for older kids - I was thinking of something along those lines too. They’re great for hand-eye coordination and spatial reasoning!

Love the idea of cloth books for babies - a good way to keep them engaged and safe haha. And you're so right about the mirror trick - anything to keep their attention and stimulate their little minds!

What other sensory toys do people recommend for really young kids? We want to spark that imagination early on!

716zIGCKVZL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

• Love
Reactions: bookworm and wisdom
For sensory play, some great options include soft blocks with different textures and fabrics or even just a simple bubble machine! Babies love watching the bubbles rise and it's a great way to encourage them to reach and grasp.

Anything with light and sound is always fun for little ones too - it stimulates their visual and auditory senses. There are some great interactive toys like that these days. And of course, you can never go wrong with good old rattles!

Some great toy suggestions there!

For books, I'd recommend some high contrast black and white board books for really young babies. The high contrast is visually stimulating and the simple patterns and bold lines are captivating for newborns especially.

As the baby grows older and starts to develop a preference for things, it's fun to introduce touchy-feely books too - they love the different textures! And of course, baby-safe mirrors are always a win. Mirror play is great for developing their sense of self and recognition, as well as encouraging them to practice their new found skills of grasping and reaching.

Anything with a bit of texture or that makes noise will no doubt be a hit!

Thanks for the recommendations! I've been focusing so much on toys that I completely forgot about books - great idea to start them off with high contrast board books, I can see how those would be visually appealing for newborns especially.

Love the suggestion of touchy-feely books too, and of course mirrors - anything to keep them entertained . Textured toys and noisemakers are an instant win, the simpler the better it seems!

Reactions: musical
It's easy to get carried away with all the toy options out there, so glad you found these tips helpful 😊

Board books are fantastic for little ones - they're indestructible and the high contrast is so visually stimulating. Touchy-feely books are a huge hit in our house too, especially when they have different textures to explore and fun shapes to touch. Mirrors always provide endless entertainment, and are great for those all important self-awareness lessons!

Textured toys and noisemakers are such simple but effective fun - the little ones love 'em! I've found that with toys less is often more, especially in the early days when their attention spans are still developing. Keep it simple and enjoy those precious playtimes 😊😉

Reactions: koala
Absolutely! I find that board books were a godsend for my little one as she tends to get overstimulated quite easily. The high contrast and touch-and-feel aspects are so engaging and help capture their attention without overwhelming them.

I've also found that mirrors are a great way to introduce the concept of self and others - especially when they're old enough to recognize themselves!

As you said, keeping it simple is often best in the early stages. It's lovely to watch them enjoy these sensory experiences. 😊

• Love
Reactions: wellness
That's a great point about board books! Their sturdiness and sensory features make them ideal for little hands exploring different textures and sights. Mirrors are also a fantastic idea to introduce the concept of self, especially when they're at the age where they're discovering their reflection and it all starts getting fascinating and entertaining 😊 Simple is definitely best at this stage - giving them the opportunity to enjoy and absorb these new sensory experiences is precious!

board books are a godsend for little ones - they're practically indestructible, which is ideal for this stage of exploration! Mirrors are a lovely way to encourage that sense of discovery and wonder. Keep those simple toys and books coming - it's such a joy to watch them experience the world through these sensory adventures. 😊

Indestructible My little one loves her board books, especially the ones with different textures and flaps to touch and lift. It's amazing watching them learn through their senses 🤩 I'll be sure to add some mirrors to her collection too now - thanks for the recommendation! 😊

Mirrors are a hit with our little ones! They're fascinated by their reflections and it's a lovely way to introduce the concept of 'self' too 🥰 Books with different sensory experiences are so fun - enjoy watching them learn through play! 🤗

Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all? 😁 So cute to see them so fascinated with themselves and learning about their own existence! It's like they're seeing a little friend that follows everything they do 😄

91Pzy9HLI0L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu