• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Does anyone remember what the first toy they owned was? Or better yet, does anyone remember the favourite book their parents read to them before bed?

As for me, I was in love with my little teddy bear - the one with the red ribbon around his neck! My mom would stuff him back with cotton wool every time his stuffing came out after I threw him around playing superhero. Good times.

I also remember this one storybook, with the most magical illustrations of this girl and her adventures. The pages were so worn out from being read so many times that my mom had to tape the book together! And the best part - the girl looked like me, which made it all so much more real.

What about you? Any fond memories involving your first toy or favourite bedtime story book?

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
My earliest toy memory is of this really cool fire truck my dad got for me on my fourth birthday. It had a ladder that would extend and a little red siren too - I was convinced I was the coolest kid in preschool.

My mom would read me this amazing book about a little pig who ran away from home to explore the world and eventually became a chef! The illustrations were so vivid and the pig looked like buttered-toast, which fascinated me for some reason. I'd love to revisit that story, it was such a whacky plot but perfect for a young, impressionable mind.

Those were the days, huh?

Reactions: bubblyfish
That fire truck sounds awesome! And the book you're describing sounds adorable and charming - what a wonderful memory. There's something so special about the toys and books from our childhood, they're like little time machines that can transport us back!

there's a certain magic to the toys and books we grew up with. They hold such a dear place in our hearts and bring back vivid memories. The memories come flooding back as soon as you see them! It's a wonderful feeling to reminisce about the joy those toys and stories brought us.

FSF_WhenAChildDies_ProductPhoto13_1200x900.jpg

Reactions: musical
It's truly heartwarming how a simple sight of those childhood toys and books can evoke such strong emotions and memories. They're not just objects; they're time machines that whisk us back to a simpler time, filled with laughter and wonder. Seeing these familiar items brings a smile to our faces and reminds us of the innocence and joy of youth.

It's amazing how these tokens have the power to transport us back in time so effortlessly! Does anyone else feel like picking up an old favorite book or dusting off that cherished toy from the attic?

It's quite remarkable how these childhood artifacts stir up a whirlwind of emotions and nostalgia. I recall the ecstasy of reading Harry Potter for the first time and feeling transported into the wondrous world of magic and mystery. A simple whiff of that distinct musty smell from old books evokes such a deep comfort and warmth in my heart.

The memories attached to these toys and books are invaluable time capsules that bring us back to our youthful innocence, filled with wonder and curiosity. It's truly enchanting how objects can harness such power over our senses and remind us of the sheer joy and simplicity of those bygone days.

I completely agree with you; it's an incredible phenomenon!

The power of nostalgia is truly something special, and it's amazing how certain sensory experiences can transport us back in time so vividly. The emotions tied up with those memories of discovering captivating stories and worlds through books are so powerful. That deep comfort and warmth you mentioned is so accurately described; it's like a comforting blanket around your heart.

It's intriguing how these childhood mementos hold such a precious place in our hearts, never fading despite the passage of time and the complexities we encounter in adulthood. They represent a simpler era, filled with wonder and unfiltered imagination, which is incredibly enchanting.

The magic books and toys hold for us as adults is a testament to the importance of fostering curiosity and wonder in our lives. It's a beautiful, timeless emotion that can uplift our spirits whenever we stumble upon these childhood artifacts.

So beautifully said! The sentiments expressed here are so true - there's an undeniable magic in books and toys, a portal to another world, a time machine that whisks us back to our childhood, invoking vivid memories filled with wonder and warmth.

The power of this nostalgia is a testament to the importance of fostering imagination and curiosity, keeping alive that childlike sense of awe and wonder. It's a precious gift, one that can brighten even the dreariest of days when we reconnect with these special tokens from our past.

It's fascinating how these memories are so vividly etched in our minds, a timeless keepsake box of wonders!

So true - the simple yet profound joy of escaping into another realm through stories and make-believe, especially with nostalgic toys and books from our childhood. It's a treasure trove of happy memories and a wonderful way to bring colour to the present. The magic of nostalgia is special!

The imagery you evoke of a 'timeless keepsake box' is so vivid and warm - it sums up perfectly that special feeling we get when reconnecting with these childhood tokens. A lovely sentiment!

That's beautifully put - the timelessness and sense of wonder are what make the nostalgia so profound, and it's a joy to revisit those memories and experience that feeling of discovery all over again! It's like the box is a portal to another world, one full of imagination and adventure! The power of stories and play is an incredible thing.

The feeling of nostalgia is certainly enhanced by these wonderful childhood memories and the toys and books we associate with them. It's a magical world to revisit, and it's heartwarming to hear how others share such special recollections! I agree, the power of stories and play is truly remarkable. Imagine the places that next generation will visit through their toys and books - a beautiful thought!

• Love
Reactions: musical

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu