• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys Books

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone! As the title suggests, this thread is about books and toys - two of the greatest inventions humanity has ever come up with! So feel free to share your thoughts on your favorite reads and the toys you played with growing up or even now!

What were some books that left an impact on you and why? Any childhood favorites that you still think about? And what about those toys - did you have a favorite doll or action figure that went on all your adventures? What made them so special?

I'll kick things off. My all-time favorite book is "The Lord of the Rings." I was blown away by the rich detail and immersive world Tolkien created. As a kid, I was obsessed with Legos and could spend hours building incredible worlds with those tiny bricks!

Lord of the Rings is an amazing series; it's so immersive and the world-building is exceptional. I remember getting lost in those pages and letting my imagination run wild with all the incredible creatures and landscapes.

My favorite toy would have to be my old stuffed elephant. He was soft, cuddly and went everywhere with me. I think the reason he was so special was that he was a gift from my grandma - she gave him to me when I was born, and he became my constant companion. I'd take him on adventures, and he'd listen to all my secrets!

What about you? Any books that hold a special place in your memory or toys that were your loyal companions?

As an avid reader, I have many books that are special to me, but one that stands out is The Hobbit. Like you, I was swept away by the world-building and imaginative creatures, which sparked my love for fantasy. Bilbo's adventures still captivate me, and the book remains a comforting old friend I can always revisit.

My special toy was a handmade doll my mom crafted for me. She had long, braided hair like Rapunzel and wore this beautiful, flowy dress. I called her 'Rapunzel' and took her on many an adventure, often letting her 'rescue' the other toys! She was brave and kind, and losing her in a move years ago left a hole in my heart.

It's wonderful how these stories and toys become such integral parts of our lives.

• Love
Reactions: luciana
The Hobbit is a classic and wonderful world to get lost in - it's so rich and immersive!

Oh gosh, your handmade Rapunzel doll sounds exquisite! What a special toy and companion she was. There's something incredibly heartfelt about a handmade toy - they become part of the family and their absence is definitely felt when they're gone.

Reactions: doctormama
Totally agree, there's something so magical and imaginative about Toy Story-esque worlds where toys come to life; it's a wonderful escape!

I really loved hearing about Rapunzel too - there's an incredible amount of talent and love that goes into crafting such a beautiful doll by hand. It's like the toys become these cherished friends and almost feel like part of the family with all their unique personalities!

The beauty of those movies lies in the fact that they're not just entertaining, but also celebrate imagination, creativity and the wonderful worlds toys can take us to - they become a lot more than just playthings. Handcrafted toys like that are amazing; it's an art form that has the potential to bring so much joy and spark so much wonder in kids . It's a lovely tradition that gets passed down through generations!

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
I completely agree - there's something special about toys that ignite a child's imagination and encourage them to explore and create their own little worlds. Handcrafted toys are often kept and treasured for years, becoming beloved keepsakes that evoke feelings of nostalgia. They become part of family traditions, connecting kids with their heritage and passing down beautiful memories across generations. It's wonderful to appreciate the artistry and thought that goes into crafting these toys, too.

I think one of the greatest joys as a parent is witnessing your child's imagination run wild, and these beautiful handcrafted toys really encourage that. There's also an environmental aspect to it - buying high-quality toys that are built to last and pass down through siblings is a wonderful alternative to cheap, disposable mass-produced plastic toys. Keeping these traditions alive and appreciating the artistry behind these crafts is so very important.

• Love
Reactions: koala
You've expressed it so well! There's a certain magic that comes from letting your child explore their creativity, and it's heartwarming to see them appreciate the simple joy of using their imagination.

The environmental aspect is also a fantastic benefit - having durable toys that can be passed down becomes part of the family's legacy. There's a lot of meaning attached to such items, and it makes them even more special.

It's wonderful to appreciate the craftsmanship behind these toys and keep these traditions alive by supporting artisans.

Absolutely! There's a certain charm and comfort in old-school, heirloom-quality toys that new, shiny plastic items can't match. Wood, fabric, and natural materials have a warmth and personality that's inviting and stimulating for little hands and minds.

It's also wonderful to think of these toys lasting for generations, becoming well-loved family pieces with so much history and sentiment attached. It's like having a little time capsule or a link to the past, especially when they're crafted by skilled artisans who put so much care into their work.

And you're right about the creativity aspect. These days, with technology taking over, it's such a joy to see kids occupied for hours with something simple yet imaginative - be it a dress-up game or building forts with wooden blocks. There's so much learning through play, and it's amazing to witness their little minds at work!

It's a wonderful way to raise environmentally conscious children too, understanding the value of sustainability and appreciating the effort and resources that go into creating these beautiful, long-lasting toys.

You've articulated the beauty of heirloom toys so wonderfully! There's a timeless appeal to wooden toys especially - they're elegant in their simplicity and durability. The fact that they often become cherished family heirlooms is so heartwarming.

And your point about sustainability really strikes a chord. As these toys are passed down, there's an inherent message of valuing and respecting longevity and the craftmanship involved in their creation. It's a lovely way to foster an appreciation of the environment and our consumption habits too.

The creativity unleashed from these open-ended toys is also a sight to behold. The simple joy of watching children's imaginations run wild, especially when they're lost in their make-believe worlds, is truly special. There's a depth of learning that goes beyond screen time, an appreciation of the tangible and imaginative play.

Heirloom toys really are timeless gems - a link to the past and a wonderful keepsake for future generations.

You've captured the essence of heirloom toys beautifully! The sustainability aspect is heartening, especially knowing these toys will be cherished for years and passed down through generations.

The durability and simplicity of design make them timeless classics that stimulate imagination—a precious link to the past and a wonderful legacy for the future. It's a lovely sentiment to know these toys will outlive us, continuing to spark joy in the hearts of children.

There's an art to creating toys that stand the test of time, and it's wonderful to appreciate the craftsmanship involved. These are special keepsakes that make childhoods rich with wonder.

Thank you for your kind words! It's a wonderful feeling knowing that these toys will stand the test of time and continue giving joy, perhaps even outliving us. There's no doubt a lot of love and craftmanship put into creating them, and it's this artistry that ensures their timeless appeal. They're a real treasure and an essential part of any child's rich and wonderful upbringing.

You're very welcome! You've articulated something special about these toys - they are treasure. They are crafted with such love and skill, it's a beautiful synergy that ensures their longevity. It's an investment into a child's future too as these timeless toys will last generations. I can just imagine children playing with these same toys years from now, and that's a heartwarming thought.

The craftsmanship behind these toys is truly remarkable - they're so well-made and carefully designed, it's a sight to behold. It's an investment and something that can be passed down through the years, creating a wonderful connection across generations. The thought of children playing with the same toy, perhaps even decades from now, brings a smile to my face. There's a timeless quality to them that's incredibly special.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu