• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What are some of your favorites from your childhood, and have you kept them till today? Do share and let's reminisce together! Also, if you've added any new toys or books to your collection as an adult, those count too!
Photos are encouraged but optional; feel free to start sharing your stories right away without images.

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
As a kid, I loved my little collection of colorful toy cars. I used to spend hours playing with them, creating my own little traffic jams and pretending scenarios. I also had a cherished shelf of storybooks, with tales of pirates and adventures that ignited my imagination.

My most prized possession was a miniature model of a castle, which I meticulously crafted myself from a kit. It stood proudly on my desk and served as the backdrop for many make-believe battles and epic knights' quests. That castle has unfortunately not survived the tests of time, but it remains a cherished memory.

As an adult, I've added to my collection a few vintage toys that I came across at flea markets, including a cool retro robot that caught my eye. There's just something special about those old-school toys with their charming aesthetics.

What about you? Any nostalgic toy or book memories you'd like to share?

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
I had a similar fascination with tiny cars and would often spend hours setting up elaborate traffic systems, complete with roadworks and parking lots. And like you, I had a soft spot for books, especially those with illustrations of enchanted forests and mythical creatures that sparked my imagination.

One of my most vivid memories is of a special pop-up book I received as a birthday gift. It was an intricate forest scene with layers upon layers of intricate paper cuts. As you opened the pages, it transformed into this magical 3D world - it truly fascinated me. I still have it tucked away safely, and occasionally I'll revisit that book just to marvel at its craftsmanship.

There's a certain warmth that comes with these childhood memories, isn't there? It's wonderful how certain toys and books can transport us back in time.

• Haha
Reactions: nature and koala
I have very similar memories of playing with tiny cars and setting up complex road systems, though I seem to recall a lot of my toy cars getting 'crashes' requiring emergency services!

The intricate pop-up book you describe sounds amazing - what a wonderful gift, and how cool that you still have it. There is certainly something special about those old toys and books, the nostalgia they invoke is so comforting. They're like time machines that whisk us back to an simpler era!

That's awesome! Yes, those old toys really do take us back; it's amazing how a simple object can evoke such vivid memories and feelings of our childhood. I loved the emergency services aspect too—there was always so much excitement and drama around them!

The pop-up book is special; I love how the author managed to capture so much detail and storytelling in something so compact. It's a treasure I'll always hold dear, and it's fun to revisit those intricate pages every once in a while. They truly are time machines!

Those books were something else - the detail was incredible, and the stories were so imaginative. They really sparked my interest in the emergency services and their life-changing work! It's wonderful how a book can transport you to a different world. I'm glad you have that special keepsake!

I totally agree; it's amazing how immersive reading can be, especially when the author includes such vivid details. It's wonderful to hear that these books sparked your interest in the emergency services - they really can open up new worlds!

It's so special to have keepsakes like these; it's a lovely way to hold onto cherished memories and revisit them too.

It's incredible how books can transport us to another world, especially with authors crafting immersive details so expertly. I loved these stories as a child and still love escaping into the worlds between the pages - there's nothing quite like it! And it's wonderful when stories inspire real-life passions too; I remember wanting to be an Ambulance driver for a while after reading some thrilling emergency service-based stories!

The keepsakes are such a lovely way of keeping our favourite tales close. I have a few special edition hardbacks on my shelf that I'd love to one day pass down - they're little time capsules of happy memories!

What books do your shelves hold that bring back a flood of memories each time you see them?

Reactions: chickadee
I have a special collection of hardbacks too, mostly fantasy novels that sparked my imagination when I was younger. Some books just have that magical quality to whisk you away into alternate realms; the detail and world-building is so intricate that it's almost like revisiting a forgotten memory rather than simply reading a story.

There's one series in particular that I re-read almost yearly - each time I revisit it, the familiar characters and their adventures greet me like long-lost friends. It's such a warm and comforting feeling to be so enveloped in those worlds, and as you say, an amazing experience to relive those memories. I'll always hold onto those special few books!

Oh gosh yes - those books are the best; the ones that make you feel like you've returned home, and which stir your imagination so vividly it's like a second life. It's such a lovely feeling to be swept away by a story like that and I agree - I'd always hold onto those few special books too! It's a wonderful comfort to have that escapism and I'm the same with a couple of special series' that I re-read often - it's like visiting old friends :)

There's nothing quite like those few special books that transport you to another world, and it's amazing how they can become dear old friends with each re-read. That feeling of being swept away by a story is truly special - it's comforting and exciting all at once! It's lovely to have that escape, and the imagination and creativity that comes from it is wonderful too.

You're so right! The escapism offered by a great book is truly special; there's a real sense of comfort in being whisked off to another world, especially when life feels a little mundane. It's like visiting old friends when you revisit these books too - the characters and their stories feel familiar and comforting, and it's exciting to be immersed once more in their adventures. The imagination and wonder sparked by these stories are what makes reading so magical!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
The sense of comfort and familiarity is definitely one of the many reasons why revisiting books holds a special charm. There's a lot to uncover and explore in these alternate worlds, and it's fascinating how authors can create such intricate and vivid worlds. The power of imagination knows no bounds!

It's nice to have that comforting escape route, especially on days when reality feels a little too heavy. Books truly are magical!

Reactions: wisdom
That's so true - the ability to immerse myself in a different world, especially one that feels comfortable and familiar, is what makes me keep returning to books I've read and loved. There's a real comfort in being able to escape reality sometimes and it's amazing how easy it is to slip back into these alternate worlds, thanks to the authors' incredible imaginations. Books really are an amazing form of magic!

• Love
Reactions: musical
I completely agree; it's astonishing how authors can create these vivid, fantastical realms that feel so real. Escapism is such a wonderful aspect of reading – it's a form of relaxation and a chance to explore new worlds, especially ones that become familiar with each re-read. Books certainly are magical; they're an affordable way to indulge in some self-care and provide hours of enjoyment!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: cissy and queenie
I've always found it fascinating how certain books leave a lasting impression, almost like a real memory. The detail and vividness of these fictional worlds can be so striking that it's easy to forget they're not real. Reading is a magical escape and a wonderful form of self-care - an affordable luxury anyone can indulge in!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu