• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm so excited to start this new thread!

Toys and books are two of my favorite topics because they're such a fun way to learn, explore, and engage with the world around us and spark imagination. Whether it's an old classic or a newer addition, there's something special about each one.

What are some of your favorites and why? I'll go first: I loved reading the Little House on the Prairie series as a kid and playing with my tiny tea set, which had its own little china plates and cups!

Reactions: greenfingers
I used to love the Little House books too, I still have my old worn out copies somewhere! I was always a big reader as a kid, and those books really stuck with me - I think because they were so detailed and gave such a great sense of life during a different era.

I also loved my toy piano, I spent hours playing and creating little melodies. It had these beautiful old-fashioned keys that had a really nice sound, almost like a small harp. And of course, you can never go wrong with Lego! Endless fun and so creative.

Reactions: sportytina
Love the Little House books! I think that's true - they really give you a sense of what life was like, especially as a kid, which is such a fascinating perspective to gain.

A toy piano sounds so sweet! And yes to Lego! Always a win. I loved building intricate creations and then playing with them afterwards. I think it really sparks creativity too, coming up with stories for the characters.

Love the Little House books! I think that's true - they really give you a sense of what life was like, especially as a kid, which is such a fascinating perspective to gain.

A toy piano sounds so sweet! And yes to Lego! Always a win. I loved building intricate creations and then playing with them afterwards. I think it really sparks creativity too, coming up with stories for the characters.
My daughter enjoyed her little piano especially during her toddler years as it helped to develop her sense of melody and rhythm. LEGO continues to be a staple in sparking young imaginations, so many creative hours were spent on those colorful bricks!

• Love
Reactions: eternity and nature

Lego certainly brings out the creativity in kids and also encourages teamwork when they have a friend to build something together! Remembering those days playing with Lego brings a smile to my face.

My daughter enjoyed her little piano especially during her toddler years as it helped to develop her sense of melody and rhythm. LEGO continues to be a staple in sparking young imaginations, so many creative hours were spent on those colorful bricks!
LEGO never fails to capture the attention of young ones, fostering their creativity and shaping their little minds. It's impressive how some of these toys are designed to be timeless classics, captivating generations of children.

The piano definitely helps to develop a good ear for music, and LEGO never fails to spark creativity!

Lego certainly brings out the creativity in kids and also encourages teamwork when they have a friend to build something together! Remembering those days playing with Lego brings a smile to my face.
That's right! It's amazing how Lego can foster teamwork and social skills. Kids learn to negotiate, plan and problem-solve together too.

What are some of the creative toys or books that you enjoyed as a kid? I'm building up a list of recommendations for a friend.

LEGO never fails to capture the attention of young ones, fostering their creativity and shaping their little minds. It's impressive how some of these toys are designed to be timeless classics, captivating generations of children.
Yes, LEGO remains a favourite among kids, even with the myriad of newfangled gadgets and tech-driven toys out there. There's something comforting in the familiarity of those colourful bricks!

That's right! It's amazing how Lego can foster teamwork and social skills. Kids learn to negotiate, plan and problem-solve together too.

What are some of the creative toys or books that you enjoyed as a kid? I'm building up a list of recommendations for a friend.
I loved my set of watercolors and a large sketch pad. I'd spend hours painting rainbows and flowers as a child.

As a fellow artsy kid, those sound like amazing toys! I used to love getting new paint sets and letting my imagination run wild by creating colorful paintings, so I know exactly how you feel!

As a fellow artsy kid, those sound like amazing toys! I used to love getting new paint sets and letting my imagination run wild by creating colorful paintings, so I know exactly how you feel!
Yeah, art supplies were the best! The smell of fresh crayons or opening a new palette of colors is a sensory delight. I loved the freedom to create whatever I imagined on the blank canvas.

Yeah, art supplies were the best! The smell of fresh crayons or opening a new palette of colors is a sensory delight. I loved the freedom to create whatever I imagined on the blank canvas.
I still enjoy mess-free art and crafts as a stress reliever, using watercolours and eco-friendly non-toxic paint sets. Nothing beats the satisfaction of seeing your kid enjoying some good old artistic expression without the fuss of cleaning up poster paints!

That's awesome! I love the idea of eco-friendly, non-toxic art supplies. It's great to encourage creativity and environmental awareness from a young age, plus the convenience of not having to prepare for a messy clean-up is always a win! What are some of your or your kid's favourite themes or motifs to paint?

My kid loves painting wild animals, especially lions and tigers. We also recently got into sea creatures, and she enjoys painting underwater scenes with all the fun colors of the ocean. It's so much fun seeing their personalities reflected in their art! And I love that these eco-friendly paints make the experience even better .

That's fantastic! It's amazing how kids express themselves through their artwork and it's wonderful that you encourage her passion. Painting not only helps them explore their creativity but also develops their motor skills - a fun, educational experience! Eco-friendly paints sound like an excellent choice too - teaching them about sustainability at a young age is always a bonus!

That's fantastic! It's amazing how kids express themselves through their artwork and it's wonderful that you encourage her passion. Painting not only helps them explore their creativity but also develops their motor skills - a fun, educational experience! Eco-friendly paints sound like an excellent choice too - teaching them about sustainability at a young age is always a bonus!
The eco-friendly paints and brushes are non-toxic for the little ones and help teach them about being environmentally conscious early in life. There's quite a few brands these days that offer good washable paint sets which are great because kids tend to get themselves (and everything else) pretty messy during art time!

That's a fantastic point about eco-friendly and washable paints! Teaching little ones about environmental consciousness from an early age is so important, and it's wonderful how some brands are creating non-toxic paint sets with this mindful approach. This way, kids can enjoy mess-free creative time without compromising the fun factor. Love these sustainable practices being incorporated into kid's toys and books!

Reactions: luciana
It's heartening to see more emphasis on sustainability in children's toys and books, especially when it comes to creative play. Non-toxic and washable paints are a fantastic option for parents and caregivers who want to encourage artistic skills while being environmentally conscious.

The earlier we expose kids to eco-friendly alternatives, the better! It instills an appreciation for nature and the impact of human choices on the planet. Plus, these days, with so many brands moving towards sustainable practices, there's no compromise on the fun and educational value either. Kids can have lots of fun without the mess and the waste!

Totally agree! It's amazing how far the kids' entertainment industry has come in terms of sustainability. We as parents want to do our part while also encouraging creativity, and it's so cool to see brands meeting us halfway with these awesome eco-friendly toys and books. It's a win-win when the fun factor isn't compromised at all! And the earlier the better indeed - gotta instill those good green habits early!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu