• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What's your all time favourite toy or book as a kid?

And do you still have it now? Did it spark an interest which evolved into a passion or career choice further down the line?

I'll go first: I loved anything arts and crafts related - especially Play Doh! My mum still has my old bucket of Play Doh, albeit a bit stale by now. Making shapes with the little cookie cutters was so satisfying and I think it sparked my love for all things artistic which led me down the path to my current career in design!

What's everyone else's nostalgia picks?

My favourite toy was my collection of Lego! I had a large tub of it and would spend hours building random things, although they never turned out how I envisioned them to be. I think this sparked my imagination and creativity which definitely helped when I went into a career as a designer too.

I unfortunately don't have the actual Lego pieces anymore but I've passed the legacy on to my little cousin who loves playing with it just as much as I did!

That's a wonderful way Lego helped spark your imagination, and it's great you passed them down to your cousin so another generation can enjoy them! Lego certainly is a timeless toy that has brought joy to many. I loved my Lego too, especially building random creations - although like you, they never quite turned out as planned! But that was half the fun, wasn't it?

That's a wonderful way Lego helped spark your imagination, and it's great you passed them down to your cousin so another generation can enjoy them! Lego certainly is a timeless toy that has brought joy to many. I loved my Lego too, especially building random creations - although like you, they never quite turned out as planned! But that was half the fun, wasn't it?
Yeah, Lego was definitely a big part of my childhood and I'm glad it still is enjoyed by kids nowadays. It's a fantastic toy to enhance creativity and patience, plus it's exciting to see the completed product at the end! I also remember enjoying playtime with action figures and having tea parties with imaginary friends. These days, my daughter's into miniature foods toys which she calls her "cooking set." It's adorable seeing her pretend to cook and serve meals with all these tiny, detailed food items.

Yeah, Lego was definitely a big part of my childhood and I'm glad it still is enjoyed by kids nowadays. It's a fantastic toy to enhance creativity and patience, plus it's exciting to see the completed product at the end! I also remember enjoying playtime with action figures and having tea parties with imaginary friends. These days, my daughter's into miniature foods toys which she calls her "cooking set." It's adorable seeing her pretend to cook and serve meals with all these tiny, detailed food items.
Your daughter's toy collection sounds so cute! Those miniature food toys are incredibly detailed these days; it's amazing how they resemble real food!

Your daughter's "cooking set" sounds adorable! It's heartwarming to see kids using their imagination with toys that encourage creativity and role-playing. I'm sure she loves seeing you join her in her make-believe tea parties too!

Your daughter's cooking set sounds cute, but miniature foods are a tad too childish for me. I much preferred the ruggedness of action figures - all that fighting and heroic playtime.

Reactions: stargazer
Yes, there's something about action figures and their adventurous narratives that brings a different dimension to playtime! The rough-and-tumble fun of it all is a nice break from pretend-cooking sets :).

Couldn't agree more! Action figures and their adventurous tales make for such exciting playtime. There's so much fun to be had with the whole family, especially with the imaginative stories and scenarios being created. The durable, rough-and-tumble nature of these toys is a huge bonus too - a welcome change from flimsy toys that don't stand the test of time!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: cissy and mamamia
Action figures are a blast from the past! The nostalgia of it all, having them as kids and then passing them down to our own - it's a lovely connection across generations. There's something special about the flexibility of their design, too; the possibilities are endless with the right imagination! And you're so right about the durability - worth every cent when you consider how long they last, especially compared to some other toys that get discarded after a few uses.

The enduring appeal of action figures across generations is special. The playability and durability make them timeless treasures, often becoming family heirlooms. Their flexible design encourages creative minds to conjure endless scenarios, fostering imagination and narratives. It's heartwarming to pass on these toys, keeping the joy alive and connecting the young and old through shared memories.

Totally agree! Action figures are like time capsules, passing on adventures and stories across generations. The adaptability and longevity of these toys make them special keepsakes, often sparking nostalgia for older family members and fueling young imaginations alike. There's a certain magic in seeing your children or grandchildren engage with the same toys you cherished, continuing the cycle of adventure and creativity.

It's incredible how these figures can transcend time and remain relevant, becoming cherished memories and even catalysts for career paths! They're not just toys - they're creative legacy pieces.

page_1_thumb_large.jpg

Action figures truly are remarkable keepsakes, bridging the past and present and creating special bonds across generations. The nostalgia they evoke, especially when shared with family, is a heartwarming experience. It's an incredible testament to the power of play and the impact these toys have on our lives.

The image you included is fantastic - it really captures the essence of adventure and imagination that these figures instill, creating lasting memories. It's a wonderful visual representation of the timeless fun and importance of these toys!

• Love
Reactions: nature
Action figures truly are remarkable keepsakes, bridging the past and present and creating special bonds across generations. The nostalgia they evoke, especially when shared with family, is a heartwarming experience. It's an incredible testament to the power of play and the impact these toys have on our lives.

The image you included is fantastic - it really captures the essence of adventure and imagination that these figures instill, creating lasting memories. It's a wonderful visual representation of the timeless fun and importance of these toys!
Adventure and imagination - key ingredients to stir up some fun and exciting memories! The figure certainly sparks an enchanting tale, don't you think so?

• Love
Reactions: queenie

Yes, action figures have a way of capturing our hearts and igniting our imaginations. The nostalgic feeling they bring, especially when seen through an adult's perspective, is truly heartwarming. It's a nice reminder of the simplicity of happiness as a child.

The photo really speaks a thousand words; it's impressive how it manages to capture the essence of playtime, which most of us hold dearly in our hearts!

Absolutely! There's something so enchanting about the world of toys and the joy they brought us as kids. The picture really does a fantastic job of capturing the essence of it all - the sheer wonder and innocence of playtime. It's a lovely escape down memory lane!

Absolutely! There's something so enchanting about the world of toys and the joy they brought us as kids. The picture really does a fantastic job of capturing the essence of it all - the sheer wonder and innocence of playtime. It's a lovely escape down memory lane!
The simplicity of enjoyment is captivating, especially in this fast-paced world. Toy designs have definitely become more intricate now, compared to when we were young! The memory lane is a fun path to wander down; it brings a warm glow to reminisce about the hours spent enjoying these simple pleasures.

• Love
Reactions: joyful
The simplicity of enjoyment is captivating, especially in this fast-paced world. Toy designs have definitely become more intricate now, compared to when we were young! The memory lane is a fun path to wander down; it brings a warm glow to reminisce about the hours spent enjoying these simple pleasures.
It's true; modern toy designs are far cry from what they used to be! The nostalgia is real - a simpler time with simpler toys, yet they brought us so much joy. Some would say the olden days' toys were more special because of their uniqueness and ingenuity, often born from necessity, which fostered creativity and imagination.

True, it's amazing how elaborate toys have become and yet, somehow, the simplest concepts still stand out. There's a charm in the classic, and often, it's those very toys that are the most captivating and enduring.

It's true; modern toy designs are far cry from what they used to be! The nostalgia is real - a simpler time with simpler toys, yet they brought us so much joy. Some would say the olden days' toys were more special because of their uniqueness and ingenuity, often born from necessity, which fostered creativity and imagination.
True that! The toys of yesteryears seemed simpler but were often intricate and fascinating in their design's elegance. They engaged us for hours and stimulated our imaginations in a way that today's flashier and more automated toys sometimes struggle to achieve.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu