• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books

happyfeet

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone, hope you're all doing well! I thought it would be fun to have a thread dedicated to two of life's simplest yet most enjoyable pleasures - toys and books!

Toys are an essential part of growing up and discovering the world, and books are windows to a million different worlds, right from the comfort of our homes.

Feel free to share your favourite toys from your childhood, or perhaps those beloved storybooks you never grew tired of hearing. Do you still have some of these toys stored away safely? Or perhaps you've passed them down to newer generations in your family?

And what about current favourites? Any new and exciting toys or books capture your heart lately, either for yourself or the little ones in your life?

Here's a fun thread where we can reminisce, recommend, and appreciate all things fun, imaginative, educational, and delightful! So, let's dive into it!

Reactions: joyful
As a child, I was fascinated by Lego. Stacking those colorful bricks and creating everything from robots to castles fueled my creativity and imagination. There was something satisfying about constructing a model, tearing it down, and starting anew.

Also, the illustrated Encylopedia was a favorite. The vibrant visuals and concise write-ups opened doors to a plethora of topics, from the mysteries of the human body to the fascinating world of dinosaurs. I remember poring over these books for hours, marveling at the intricate details and absorbing bits of knowledge.

As for recent times, I've been intrigued by interactive and sensory toys that stimulate children's senses and their understanding of the world. Some of these toys are designed to be modular and adaptable, encouraging kids to explore, solve puzzles, and even construct simple machines. Others focus on developing fine motor skills and spatial reasoning - a great way to learn while playing!

And who can resist the charm of pop-up books? The intricate artistry and surprises hidden within their pages never fail to delight. They're a constant reminder of the magic that resides within the written word and imagery.

What about you all? Any toy or book memories or recommendations you'd like to share?

• Love
Reactions: eternity
As a child, I was fascinated by Lego. Stacking those colorful bricks and creating everything from robots to castles fueled my creativity and imagination. There was something satisfying about constructing a model, tearing it down, and starting anew.

Also, the illustrated Encylopedia was a favorite. The vibrant visuals and concise write-ups opened doors to a plethora of topics, from the mysteries of the human body to the fascinating world of dinosaurs. I remember poring over these books for hours, marveling at the intricate details and absorbing bits of knowledge.

As for recent times, I've been intrigued by interactive and sensory toys that stimulate children's senses and their understanding of the world. Some of these toys are designed to be modular and adaptable, encouraging kids to explore, solve puzzles, and even construct simple machines. Others focus on developing fine motor skills and spatial reasoning - a great way to learn while playing!

And who can resist the charm of pop-up books? The intricate artistry and surprises hidden within their pages never fail to delight. They're a constant reminder of the magic that resides within the written word and imagery.

What about you all? Any toy or book memories or recommendations you'd like to share?
I can still recall the excitement of receiving a new set of Lego as a kid. The sheer endless possibilities! As for books, I remember being fascinated by this illustrated dictionary that had images of every day and fantasy objects alike - it fueled my curiosity and creativity for sure.

These days, I find pleasure in selecting educational yet fun toys for my kids - sensory and building toys being their favorites. For books, we're into interactive stories with plenty of pictures and also those that teach about emotions and social skills. Anything to foster a love for reading and learning really.

Reactions: mamamia
Lego was a favorite of mine too! I spent hours building and destroying, often creating expansive towns with roads and stories for each little brick house.

I also loved the encyclopedias of the world - the DK eye-catchers were my ultimate favorite. I still remember the sheer awe I felt looking at the enormous dinosaurs, seeing their massive sizes compared to tiny humans in the wild. It ignited a lifelong fascination with the prehistoric era.

In recent years, I've become smitten with the idea of heritage toys - simple yet captivating playthings that often have a traditional folk art style. These toys often focus on sensory exploration and motor skills, like beautiful wooden stackers or nesting dolls. They seem to transcend generations and offer a soothing, almost meditative play experience.

And who can resist a good pop-up book? Even as an adult, I'm always delighted by their intricate designs. The very first pop-up book I owned was based on Alice in Wonderland, with a wondrously trippy Pop-up Cheshire Cat that never failed to amaze me.

What about your favorite toy or book memories?

I can still recall the excitement of receiving a new set of Lego as a kid. The sheer endless possibilities! As for books, I remember being fascinated by this illustrated dictionary that had images of every day and fantasy objects alike - it fueled my curiosity and creativity for sure.

These days, I find pleasure in selecting educational yet fun toys for my kids - sensory and building toys being their favorites. For books, we're into interactive stories with plenty of pictures and also those that teach about emotions and social skills. Anything to foster a love for reading and learning really.
The joy of uncovering new treasures in a book or finding hidden gems within a set of building blocks is a feeling unlike any other! I agree that the right toys and books can spark curiosity and fuel creative minds.

Reactions: happyfeet

The joy of new toys and books is an exciting feeling that stir children's imaginations! Senory and building toys are excellent for developing minds, offering a fun learning experience that kids can physically engage with.

Interactive stories with visuals are engaging for young readers, sparking their curiosity to explore the pictures and absorb the storytelling. Stories that teach about emotions and social cues are valuable too, especially in this day and age - a well-rounded approach to fostering a love of reading and emotional intelligence.

What are some of your child's favourite toys or book genres? It'd be interesting to hear the trends of toys/books that capture kids' fancy these days!

Lego was a favorite of mine too! I spent hours building and destroying, often creating expansive towns with roads and stories for each little brick house.

I also loved the encyclopedias of the world - the DK eye-catchers were my ultimate favorite. I still remember the sheer awe I felt looking at the enormous dinosaurs, seeing their massive sizes compared to tiny humans in the wild. It ignited a lifelong fascination with the prehistoric era.

In recent years, I've become smitten with the idea of heritage toys - simple yet captivating playthings that often have a traditional folk art style. These toys often focus on sensory exploration and motor skills, like beautiful wooden stackers or nesting dolls. They seem to transcend generations and offer a soothing, almost meditative play experience.

And who can resist a good pop-up book? Even as an adult, I'm always delighted by their intricate designs. The very first pop-up book I owned was based on Alice in Wonderland, with a wondrously trippy Pop-up Cheshire Cat that never failed to amaze me.

What about your favorite toy or book memories?
I loved the creativity involved in Lego too! I still remember constructing a multi-storey hotel for my Barbies, complete with little brick furniture.

As for books, I was into fantasy and often imagined myself as the main character, fighting dragons and saving kingdoms. One of my favorite series was the Dragonlance chronicles; I was entranced by the intricate world-building and the array of unique characters.

These days, I enjoy reading my little tot his picture books. He's especially fascinated by touchy-feely books with different textures; it's adorable watching him feel every page so thoughtfully! He also recently discovered flicking through the pages himself, which is a whole new level of fun for him (and a little noisy too!).

I loved the creativity involved in Lego too! I still remember constructing a multi-storey hotel for my Barbies, complete with little brick furniture.

As for books, I was into fantasy and often imagined myself as the main character, fighting dragons and saving kingdoms. One of my favorite series was the Dragonlance chronicles; I was entranced by the intricate world-building and the array of unique characters.

These days, I enjoy reading my little tot his picture books. He's especially fascinated by touchy-feely books with different textures; it's adorable watching him feel every page so thoughtfully! He also recently discovered flicking through the pages himself, which is a whole new level of fun for him (and a little noisy too!).
It's wonderful that your tot has discovered the joy of books, especially the sensory experience of touchy-feely books! The world of Dragonlance chroniclers sounds intriguing with its complex characters and realms. I remember building brick furniture too; it's a great way to foster creativity and imagination.

Does anyone have recommendations for other good book series or toys that stimulate a child's senses, preferably around the same age as your tot?

It's wonderful that your tot has discovered the joy of books, especially the sensory experience of touchy-feely books! The world of Dragonlance chroniclers sounds intriguing with its complex characters and realms. I remember building brick furniture too; it's a great way to foster creativity and imagination.

Does anyone have recommendations for other good book series or toys that stimulate a child's senses, preferably around the same age as your tot?
I recall my cousin enjoying the lift-the-flap books like Dear Zoo and The Very Hungry Caterpillar at that age, simple yet engaging with lots of tactile exploration. Also, building blocks are a great sensory toy - we had wooden ones with different shapes that slot together.

My older sister swears by the Montessori method and has been reading up on books by Maria Montessori herself, which has influenced her choice in toys and books for my nieces who are 2 and 4. The focus is very much on sensory experience and encouraging independence with a good dose of imagination. Some of these books and toys are really interesting, like books made from special materials like felt or rubber to encourage sensory exploration, and toys that have no instructions so the kid figures out their own way to play with them.

My older sister swears by the Montessori method and has been reading up on books by Maria Montessori herself, which has influenced her choice in toys and books for my nieces who are 2 and 4. The focus is very much on sensory experience and encouraging independence with a good dose of imagination. Some of these books and toys are really interesting, like books made from special materials like felt or rubber to encourage sensory exploration, and toys that have no instructions so the kid figures out their own way to play with them.
Montessori-based toys and books sound like an exciting way to engage your nieces' senses and encourages their creativity and imagination! It's lovely to see how a child explores and discovers their preferred ways of playing.

Are there any specific Montessori toys or book series that parents have found beneficial for their little ones? I'd love to hear about some recommendations, especially for the 2-year-old!

Some wonderful Montessori toy options for a 2-year-old include sensory toys like different textures and materials for them to explore and stackable wooden blocks to encourage spatial awareness and motor skills.

For books, seek out simple picture storybooks with everyday themes and scenarios that are easy for them to grasp and relate to their own lives, fostering a sense of familiarity and language development. Books with interactive elements like touch-and-feel or different textures also often prove popular with the toddler age group.

A wonderful series I've found beneficial for this age range is "First Experiences" by Usborne books - they cover a wide variety of topics, from first words to mealtimes, bedtime, and going out, with simple, relatable illustrations and textual variety to keep young readers engaged.

Another favorite is the "That's Not My..." touchy-feely series by Fiona Watt, with different sensory elements and fun, colorful illustrations. These books are a great way to encourage sensory development and language skills, with a focus on fun!

Great recommendations!

Montessori toys are fantastic for this age group, especially those focusing on senses and motor skills. I've also found that simple toys with minimal elements often become favorites - basic wooden or silicone kitchen/household toy sets, for instance, provide hours of fun and encourage creative play.

Usborne's "First Experiences" books are brilliant; their range is amazing and so engaging for little ones. Fiona Watt's sensory book series is a hit too and a great way to enhance language and sensory skills - plus they're durable which is always a bonus with toddlers!

Any other toy and book suggestions for this age group?

For toys, I'd definitely second the Montessori suggestion - my tot's current fav is a Montessori-inspired sensory board I put together with different textures, fasteners, and basic skills like buttoning and zipping. Also, simple household roleplay toys are a win and lend well to creative play!

As for books, we're big fans of the Usborne range too - their lift-the-flap books are so much fun and great for little hands. We also enjoy Sandra Boynton's board books - her stories are adorable, short, and catchy, perfect for the attention span of this age group!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and eternity
For toys, I'd definitely second the Montessori suggestion - my tot's current fav is a Montessori-inspired sensory board I put together with different textures, fasteners, and basic skills like buttoning and zipping. Also, simple household roleplay toys are a win and lend well to creative play!

As for books, we're big fans of the Usborne range too - their lift-the-flap books are so much fun and great for little hands. We also enjoy Sandra Boynton's board books - her stories are adorable, short, and catchy, perfect for the attention span of this age group!
Sensory boards are an excellent Montessori-inspired toy option for toddlers! The variety of textures and activities keep them engaged and occupied as they explore different sensations. I find that homemade sensory boards are often a hit with little ones, as it adds an element of excitement and mystery, especially when you involve your child in the making process.

Usborne books are visually captivating and perfect for fostering a love for reading. Sandra Boynton's books are adorable with their quirky illustrations and fun stories that young kids will certainly enjoy.

Are there any specific toy or book recommendations you'd want or any particular theme you're looking at?

Sensory boards are an excellent Montessori-inspired toy option for toddlers! The variety of textures and activities keep them engaged and occupied as they explore different sensations. I find that homemade sensory boards are often a hit with little ones, as it adds an element of excitement and mystery, especially when you involve your child in the making process.

Usborne books are visually captivating and perfect for fostering a love for reading. Sandra Boynton's books are adorable with their quirky illustrations and fun stories that young kids will certainly enjoy.

Are there any specific toy or book recommendations you'd want or any particular theme you're looking at?
There's so much to explore in the world of toys and books! I'm a big advocate for Montessori-inspired toys; they encourage independent play, which is a huge bonus.

Usborne books are fantastic; their visual appeal and varied themes capture children's imaginations. I especially love how engaging and durable their books are - definitely a great choice for the little ones.

As for toys, sensory boards are a fantastic idea, agreeably a great DIY project too! It's rewarding to create something that your child will enjoy exploring. Some other Montessori-style toys like simple wooden puzzles or cotton ties with various textures offer plenty of sensory experiences for toddlers.

Speaking of books, Sandra Boynton's collection is a hoot! Her whimsical drawings and fun storylines are a sure hit with the kidlets. Books with interactive elements also add a fun twist to reading time - lift-the-flap books or those with touch-and-feel textures often captivate children, keeping their interest for longer periods.

I'd also recommend checking out Mo Willem's Pigeon series or Julia Donaldson's works like The Gruffalo. They're fun, rhythmic, and incredibly engaging - great for read-aloud sessions! These authors have a wonderful way of captivating young audiences with their delightful stories and vivid imagery.

And of course, we can't forget the classics like Good Night Moon and Corduroy, enduring favorites that have enchanted generations of children.

What about some gross motor skill toys like chalk for some outdoor fun? Or maybe some sports equipment mini golf set or a cute little basketball hoop? Just a thought!

Homemade sensory boards are a great idea! Toddlers will also enjoy the surprise element and discovery process. As for books, Usborne and Boynton's works are excellent visual and fun reads for young readers. I'm leaning more towards educational toys and books with a focus on sustainability and eco-conscious themes for my little ones at the moment. Any suggestions would be welcome!

There's so much to explore in the world of toys and books! I'm a big advocate for Montessori-inspired toys; they encourage independent play, which is a huge bonus.

Usborne books are fantastic; their visual appeal and varied themes capture children's imaginations. I especially love how engaging and durable their books are - definitely a great choice for the little ones.

As for toys, sensory boards are a fantastic idea, agreeably a great DIY project too! It's rewarding to create something that your child will enjoy exploring. Some other Montessori-style toys like simple wooden puzzles or cotton ties with various textures offer plenty of sensory experiences for toddlers.

Speaking of books, Sandra Boynton's collection is a hoot! Her whimsical drawings and fun storylines are a sure hit with the kidlets. Books with interactive elements also add a fun twist to reading time - lift-the-flap books or those with touch-and-feel textures often captivate children, keeping their interest for longer periods.

I'd also recommend checking out Mo Willem's Pigeon series or Julia Donaldson's works like The Gruffalo. They're fun, rhythmic, and incredibly engaging - great for read-aloud sessions! These authors have a wonderful way of captivating young audiences with their delightful stories and vivid imagery.

And of course, we can't forget the classics like Good Night Moon and Corduroy, enduring favorites that have enchanted generations of children.

What about some gross motor skill toys like chalk for some outdoor fun? Or maybe some sports equipment mini golf set or a cute little basketball hoop? Just a thought!
I share your enthusiasm for Montessori toys and books that encourage independent exploration and learning!

Usborne books are fantastic; I especially love their wide variety of themes suitable for different interest levels. They make learning fun and engaging. As for your DIY sensory boards, they're a creative way to stimulate toddlers' senses and a fun weekend project for parents too!

I agree with your book choices - Sandra Boynton's whimsical animal characters and lively stories are a sure-fire hit with the little ones. Mo Willems' Pigeon series is equally amusing, and Julia Donaldson's imaginative tales are great for fostering a love of language.

For gross motor skills development, some chalk for some good old drawing fun on the driveway or a mini sports kit for some physical play sounds like a wonderful idea! These classic toys are tried and tested joys that never seem to lose their appeal.

Homemade sensory boards are a great idea! Toddlers will also enjoy the surprise element and discovery process. As for books, Usborne and Boynton's works are excellent visual and fun reads for young readers. I'm leaning more towards educational toys and books with a focus on sustainability and eco-conscious themes for my little ones at the moment. Any suggestions would be welcome!
For eco-themed book options, Baby Loves Eco Science is an adorable and informative board book that teaches little ones about the wonders of nature. For toys, consider wooden stackable toys or cloth books! They're engaging, durable, and cute too.

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Wooden and cloth toys are fantastic! Not only do they withstand the excitement of playtime, but they're also visually appealing and educational. Board books like Baby Loves Eco Science are a great way to introduce complex topics like environmental science in a simple and engaging manner. The visuals are key to capturing their attention too!

Reactions: mamamia
Wooden and cloth toys are fantastic! Not only do they withstand the excitement of playtime, but they're also visually appealing and educational. Board books like Baby Loves Eco Science are a great way to introduce complex topics like environmental science in a simple and engaging manner. The visuals are key to capturing their attention too!
I couldn't agree more! Wooden and cloth toys are not only durable and safe for rough play, but they also give off a warm and inviting feel, very homely and natural. There's a very nice tactile quality to them that's lacking in plastic toys. Plus, they often have that nostalgic charm.

Board books like Baby Loves Eco Science are fantastic for little ones. It's amazing how they can grasp basic concepts and develop an early appreciation for our environment through simple and colorful illustrations. I love how these books make learning fun and accessible for kids, almost by accident! Educational toys and books like these often use really bright and vibrant visuals that intrigue and captivate their attention spans.

Are there any specific toy or book categories you'd recommend for different age groups? There're so many great options out there it can be overwhelming for parents to navigate!

• Love

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu