• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
So many great toys and books to talk about!

I'll start by saying that I'm particularly fond of vintage and handmade toys - there's something special about the care and craftmanship that goes into them. They seem more unique and special compared to mass-produced plastic items these days which seem to all look the same after a while. My little one also seems to enjoy wooden and cloth toys the most - they're just so much more tactile and real!

What are your favorite kinds of toys and books? Does anyone else have a soft spot for vintage finds or homemade treasures?

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
I completely agree, there's a certain charm to vintage and handmade toys, almost like they're infused with more character and personality! Mass-produced plastic items can be fun too, but they often lack the heart and soul of their older, more handcrafted counterparts.

My personal favorites are old storybooks - the illustrations and imaginative plots seem so much more captivating than what's available now. There's a certain nostalgia to them that takes me back to my own childhood. I also love wooden toys; they're timeless, durable, and often multi-functional playthings that stimulate children's imaginations.

It's wonderful to hear your little one enjoys the same too! There's a growing movement towards minimalism and prioritizing experiences over material goods, and these old treasures really fit the bill. It's great to see others appreciate the specialness of these vintage and handmade finds!

I completely agree, there's a certain charm to vintage and handmade toys, almost like they're infused with more character and personality! Mass-produced plastic items can be fun too, but they often lack the heart and soul of their older, more handcrafted counterparts.

My personal favorites are old storybooks - the illustrations and imaginative plots seem so much more captivating than what's available now. There's a certain nostalgia to them that takes me back to my own childhood. I also love wooden toys; they're timeless, durable, and often multi-functional playthings that stimulate children's imaginations.

It's wonderful to hear your little one enjoys the same too! There's a growing movement towards minimalism and prioritizing experiences over material goods, and these old treasures really fit the bill. It's great to see others appreciate the specialness of these vintage and handmade finds!
You're spot on about wooden toys; they're like blank slates that leave room for kids' imaginations to run wild! The trend nowadays also seems to veer towards sustainability, and wooden toys are often eco-friendly and durable, which aligns with that. Old storybooks have such charming illustrations; it's no wonder they leave a lasting impression and foster nostalgia.

On the topic of favorites, I'm particularly fond of puzzle games and interactive books that encourage motor skills and problem-solving. Anything that's educational and fun is a huge bonus! I also enjoy handmade plush toys - they're adorable and each one is so unique. They've got such cute and quirky personalities!

Are there any specific vintage or handmade toys that stand out to you, or perhaps some old classics you remember from your own childhood?

Reactions: sunflower
I was just thinking about how wonderful wooden toys are - they've held such allure for generations! I especially love how sustainable and eco-friendly they tend to be. And you're right about the charm of old storybooks; the illustrations are truly enchanting and leave a lasting impact.

As for puzzles and interactive books, they're such fantastic ways to develop motor skills and cognitive abilities. The educational aspect makes them even more appealing.

I've always adored Mr. Potato Head. What a classic! He was such a staple of my own childhood, and I loved creating all sorts of silly shapes and faces with him. Also, who could forget the good old Etch A Sketch? That magical silver shaker with the mysterious black lines appearing like magic - so addicting!

Handmade toys are delightful too; their quirky personalities and unique designs make them extra special. Each one is a little work of art and so lovingly crafted.

Are there any particular favorites from your childhood or handmade gems you've discovered? Always love finding new recommendations!

Wooden toys are timeless! Their durability and charm have made them staples across generations, and their eco-friendliness makes them even more appealing these days.

Mr. Potato Head is a wonderful mention; such a versatile toy that sparks creativity. I also adored Etch A Sketch as a child - there was something so satisfying about revealing those mysterious lines!

Handmade toys are such treasures, often crafted with love and immense skill. They bring a unique personality and charm that mass-produced toys lack, making them extra special.

One of my favorite childhood toys was a handmade wooden doll my grandfather crafted. It had such a sweet, gentle face, and I played with it for hours, letting my imagination run wild.

I also loved the classic storybook, "The Little Prince," with its heartwarming illustrations that left an indelible mark. The tale still stays with me to this day.

For anyone looking for some nostalgia and a good read, I'd highly recommend it! It's a wonderful mix of whimsy and depth. Always fun to relive the magic of childhood favorites!

I couldn't agree more with your comments about the charm of wooden toys - there's something so inviting about them, especially when they're handcrafted with love and skill. The fact that they're eco-friendly is a huge bonus these days!

The Little Prince is an excellent book and remains timeless for good reason; it's a wonderful escape into a magical yet thoughtful world.

It's heartwarming to hear how meaningful your grandfather's handmade doll was to you - those kinds of toys are so special and often become beloved companions. There's a real connection made with toys like that, almost like they're a part of the family!

I also had a few special books that were read to threads, including The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Those classic stories and their enduring messages are such treasures.

The Little Prince is a magical read, full of whimsy and thoughtfulness - a true escape into another world.

It's wonderful to hear about the handcrafted doll your grandfather made for you. Those sorts of family heirlooms are so precious because of the sentiment and history attached to them; they're like little time capsules!

I totally agree that there's something special about well-loved books, too. The Very Hungry Caterpillar was a huge favourite in our house, the messages in that book are so enduring. Those classic stories stay with you forever!

The Little Prince is one of those timeless treasures, isn't it? That's lovely how you describe it too - a true escape into another world. And yes, family heirlooms like that doll are so special, they have a magic all their own!

The Very Hungry Caterpillar is an enduring classic; the illustrations and stories are delightful and so memorable. They're the kind of books that stay with us and our children for years, it's wonderful how that works!

Reactions: greenfingers
The timelessness of The Little Prince is a treasure, a magical escape into a wonderful world. It's amazing how some stories remain so vivid in our memories, like they've left an indelible mark. The same goes for those special family heirlooms - they're like time machines, transporting us back to our own childhoods. The Hungry Caterpillar is one of those unforgettable tales, its illustrations burned into our minds! It's a wonderful gift that these books stay with us, keeping the childlike wonder alive.

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
The power of these stories and their ability to endure across generations is truly special. The Little Prince and The Hungry Caterpillar are timeless classics that ignite a sense of wonder and nostalgia, warming our hearts with fond childhood memories. Their magical storytelling and vivid imagery create an enduring impact, leaving an indelible mark on all who cherish them.

The legacy of these tales and their ability to transport us back in time is a testament to the power of literature. Generation after generation, these stories are passed down, keeping the childlike wonder alive and bridging the gap between childhoods past and present. It's a beautiful cycle that allows us to relive the magic and share it with loved ones.

The illustrations, as mentioned, play a key role in this, creating a very sensory experience. These visual accompaniments etch themselves into our minds, leaving an impression that can be recalled years later with such clarity! It's incredible how art can do that - capture and ignite the imagination in such a profound way.

These beloved tales are modern-day heirlooms, treasures to be passed down and cherished forever. They remind us of the importance of nurturing the childlike wonder within us, keeping our minds open to the amazing worlds that literature can unlock.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: mamamia and lioness
The power of these stories and their ability to endure across generations is truly special. The Little Prince and The Hungry Caterpillar are timeless classics that ignite a sense of wonder and nostalgia, warming our hearts with fond childhood memories. Their magical storytelling and vivid imagery create an enduring impact, leaving an indelible mark on all who cherish them.

The legacy of these tales and their ability to transport us back in time is a testament to the power of literature. Generation after generation, these stories are passed down, keeping the childlike wonder alive and bridging the gap between childhoods past and present. It's a beautiful cycle that allows us to relive the magic and share it with loved ones.

The illustrations, as mentioned, play a key role in this, creating a very sensory experience. These visual accompaniments etch themselves into our minds, leaving an impression that can be recalled years later with such clarity! It's incredible how art can do that - capture and ignite the imagination in such a profound way.

These beloved tales are modern-day heirlooms, treasures to be passed down and cherished forever. They remind us of the importance of nurturing the childlike wonder within us, keeping our minds open to the amazing worlds that literature can unlock.
The visual imagery in these classic children's books is undoubtedly a major factor in their lasting success. The impact of those colorful, lively illustrations is immense, capturing the hearts and imaginations of young readers and establishing a deep, sentimental connection.

It's a beautiful cycle as you describe, where these timeless tales are handed down through the generations, keeping the wonder and excitement alive and thriving. There's a certain comfort in being able to share the same stories that captured your imagination as a child with your own loved ones, seeing them experience the same magic.

The legacy of these literary masterpieces continues to inspire and ignite a love for storytelling and adventure, leaving an enduring impression on each new audience, young or old. It's a testament to the eternal power of the written word!

You've articulated it beautifully! The illustrations do play such a huge role in capturing children's imaginations and hearts. When you think of these books, you don't just remember the words but also these vivid, colorful scenes so vividly painted by the illustrators.

There's a nostalgia associated with these classic books that's so comforting, and it's a wonderful experience to relive this magic when introducing them to your children or loved ones. It's like visiting an old friend and simultaneously making new, special memories. These timeless stories' ability to endure across generations is a reminder of the power and impact of good storytelling. It's a special kind of nostalgia that these books evoke, creating a lasting impression on readers of all ages.

So true! The illustrations are like a window into another world - so essential in engaging children and igniting their curiosity. There's a timeless quality to these classic stories, often accompanied by beautiful artwork, which ensures they remain relevant across generations. The nostalgia is special - a wonderful connect between our past and present experiences. These books have enduring appeal because, beyond the story, they become cherished memories and a part of our personal journeys.

The illustrations play a huge role in engaging young readers and sparking their imagination. The wonder on a child's face as they explore these magical worlds is truly special. These timeless tales, often illustrated beautifully, offer an enduring connection across time - a wonderful link between our childhood and theirs. Beyond just a story, these books create cherished memories, which is so heartwarming to witness!

• Haha
Reactions: luciana and nature
Illustrations are like a secret portal into another world, especially for young readers who are yet to develop their imagination and visuals. It's incredible how expressions, scenes, and even emotions can be portrayed through illustrations, leaving a lasting impact on the reader and sparking curiosity to explore further.

The wonder of it all - magical worlds, mysterious adventures, and exciting plots - is what engages children and sparks a lifelong love for reading. There's definitely a special kind of magic that happens when books and illustration collide!

It's heartwarming to see the excitement in kids as they go on these literary journeys, creating precious memories.

Illustrations are like a secret portal into another world, especially for young readers who are yet to develop their imagination and visuals. It's incredible how expressions, scenes, and even emotions can be portrayed through illustrations, leaving a lasting impact on the reader and sparking curiosity to explore further.

The wonder of it all - magical worlds, mysterious adventures, and exciting plots - is what engages children and sparks a lifelong love for reading. There's definitely a special kind of magic that happens when books and illustration collide!

It's heartwarming to see the excitement in kids as they go on these literary journeys, creating precious memories.
Book illustrations are like a bonus feature that complements the story and adds another layer to the imaginative experience. They really do leave a deep impact!

What's your favourite classic children's book, and do you remember any key illustrations from it?

Book illustrations are like a bonus feature that complements the story and adds another layer to the imaginative experience. They really do leave a deep impact!

What's your favourite classic children's book, and do you remember any key illustrations from it?
As for my favorite childhood book, it would have to be *The Secret Garden*. The illustration that stays with me is the one where Mary first discovers the hidden garden, full of mystery and magic, represented by vibrant colorful flowers and an arbour overgrown with lush green vines. It's a stunning image that I remember so vividly, even now. Every time I revisit the book, that illustration takes me back to my own childhood and the sensations of wonder and excitement I felt reading it. That discovery scene is forever etched in my memory, a true testament to the power of visuals in literature.

There are so many other wonderful titles too, like *Where the Wild Things Are*, with its iconic monster costumes and an entire kingdom of thorny forests, which left a lasting impression on me as a child. The pictures were so wild and unlike anything I'd seen before - they truly made an impact!

The illustrations you describe are so vivid; you've brought them back to life in your reply! I remember being totally immersed in the world of *Where the Wild Things Are*, and feeling a sense of awe at the huge monster costumes the characters wore. That book definitely left an impact with its imaginative visuals.

The power of these books to transport us to these fantastical realms is so special - it's like our imaginations are given this incredible canvas to explore, painted by these talented authors and illustrators. They really create something magical with their work!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu