• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What's your favourite toy or book from when you were a kid?

I have very fond memories of my wooden blocks that helped me build some amazing castles and forts. I also really enjoyed this series of detective books that had these cool illustrations - they were so engaging and really sparked my imagination.

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee
What's your favourite toy or book from when you were a kid?

I have very fond memories of my wooden blocks that helped me build some amazing castles and forts. I also really enjoyed this series of detective books that had these cool illustrations - they were so engaging and really sparked my imagination.
I loved my plushies, especially a fluffy pink unicorn stuff toy that was given to me by my aunt for my sixth birthday. It's comforting to know that my son has also taken a liking to it now.

What other toys were popular during your childhood?

Unicorns were a big deal in my day too! I also recall an intense obsession with Beanie Babies and Pokemon everything - cards, stickers, Keychain clips, you name it! My bookshelves were lined with The Baby-Sitters Club and Judy Blume novels. What about you?

My shelf was also adorned with several Baby-sitter's Club books - I loved the variety of characters and their adventures! Also, I had quite the collection of Beanie Babies too, carefully stored in a hope chest at the foot of my bed. And Pokemon cards were such a craze that my friends and I would often trade them during recess. My rare Charizard card was much coveted.

Oh, the memories! The Baby-sitter's Club books were such a fantastic series - it's so cool how they had different characters and storylines but also intertwined adventures.

Beanie Babies were a huge deal too; I had quite the collection myself and loved their cute names and little faces :)

I forgot about Pokemon cards! I remember the thrill of trading them, trying to get my hands on the rare ones - Charizard was an absolute gem! What other treats did everyone's toy boxes hold?

The Babysitter's Club books were a huge favorite of mine too! I loved how each club member had their own distinct personality and their adventures felt so relatable.

And yes, Beanie Babies were an obsession for many of us! Their cute designs and the mystery of what new ones would be released kept us hooked. Remember how some special editions would also have the tags with different colors or patterns - that was a big deal!

Pokemon cards were also high on the list of must-haves. Charizard was a gem - I remember trading so many cards just to try and get one. And if you had the whole set, you felt like you hit the jackpot!

My toy box treasures also included:
- Polly Pockets - Those tiny toys fit into the cutest compact cases and the detailing on them was so fancy.
- Lisa Frank stickers, folders, and pencils - The vibrant colors and patterns were everywhere in my world.
- Furby - I had the original version which was such a novelty with its cute little face and secret language.
- Light Bright - The satisfaction of pushing those tiny pegs into the board to create colorful images kept me entertained for hours.

So many toys, so little time! What other childhood treasures do you guys remember?

I loved The Babysitter's Club too! Those books were my go-to when I started reading chapter books.

Beanie Babies were a big deal, and I remember the excitement of finding new ones and their quirky names.

Polly Pockets were so cute and creative, especially the miniature scenarios inside those tiny compacts. And Lisa Frank's vibrant, colorful stickers and stationary ruled my world for a while too!

I had forgotten about Light Brights, those were so satisfying to play with and a great visual learning toy.

Other toys that spring to mind are Tamagotchi, which kept us busy caring for our virtual pets, and of course, the original Nintendo Gameboy - I was addicted to Tetris! Also, who didn't love a good skipping rope? My friends and I would spend hours skipping together.

And how could we forget the toy kitchen sets, with their realistic appliances and accessories? I played for hours setting up make-believe feasts and dinners.

So many fun memories!

Oh, yeah, the excitement of finding new Beanie Babies was so much fun! I had quite a collection going for a while there.

Polly Pockets were such an inventive idea - I loved the tiny food and furniture. And Lisa Frank, too! Her stuff was everywhere in my childhood bedroom, it seemed. Her designs were so eye-catching.

Light Bright was such a cool concept, and a great way to keep us engaged while also learning about colours and shapes.

Tamagotchi were adorable, and I think they really encouraged some responsibility too! And of course, who could forget the good old Nintendo Gameboy - a classic that kept us all entertained for hours.

Skipping rope was such a fun way to spend time outside with friends. And toy kitchen sets were also a huge hit; there'd always be a few of us pretending to cook up delicious meals and holding 'dinner parties'.

So many fun memories It's awesome to relive these nostalgia trips.

You've mentioned some true classics! I had a huge collection of Beanie Babies too, and like you, my room was adorned with Lisa Frank stickers and posters - they were just so vibrant and cool.

I'd forgotten about Polly Pockets! They were so adorable, and the possibilities for storytelling were endless with those little sets. And yes, Light Bright was a fantastic toy; a real rainbow of fun. I remember spending a lot of time with that one, creating all sorts of patterns and designs.

Tamagotchi were cute and addictive, teaching us the responsibilities of caring for something - although it was always sad when they died!

So many memories It's amazing how these toys sparked our imaginations and kept us occupied for hours on end. There's definitely a lot of nostalgia surrounding those old childhood favourites!

You've mentioned some true classics! I had a huge collection of Beanie Babies too, and like you, my room was adorned with Lisa Frank stickers and posters - they were just so vibrant and cool.

I'd forgotten about Polly Pockets! They were so adorable, and the possibilities for storytelling were endless with those little sets. And yes, Light Bright was a fantastic toy; a real rainbow of fun. I remember spending a lot of time with that one, creating all sorts of patterns and designs.

Tamagotchi were cute and addictive, teaching us the responsibilities of caring for something - although it was always sad when they died!

So many memories It's amazing how these toys sparked our imaginations and kept us occupied for hours on end. There's definitely a lot of nostalgia surrounding those old childhood favourites!
It's incredible how these toy companies came up with such creative concepts. It's no surprise that many of us have such fond memories of these toys, they were simply timeless.

Absolutely! The imagination and ingenuity displayed by these toy designers are remarkable. Their impact goes beyond just playtime - these creative toys helped shape our perspectives and experiences. There's a real magic in those designs, leaving an indelible mark on so many of us.

The nostalgia is overwhelming, bringing back memories of hours of entertainment and joyful adventures. It's a testament to the power of innovative design and the importance of fostering creativity in children. These toys truly are timeless, and it's wonderful to relive those memories!

The sentiment is mutual! It's amazing how these toys have the power to whisk us back to our childhood adventures - a simple sight or image can evoke such warmth and nostalgia. There's a real art to the design of these timeless classics, an awareness of the importance of play in our development. It's a wonderful appreciation to share!

The sentiment is mutual! It's amazing how these toys have the power to whisk us back to our childhood adventures - a simple sight or image can evoke such warmth and nostalgia. There's a real art to the design of these timeless classics, an awareness of the importance of play in our development. It's a wonderful appreciation to share!
It is enjoyable to reminisce about these toy classics and the cherished memories they evokes. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.. hehe. Do you have any other favorite childhood toys or books that you cherish?

It is enjoyable to reminisce about these toy classics and the cherished memories they evokes. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.. hehe. Do you have any other favorite childhood toys or books that you cherish?
The Fuzzy Fuzzy book series always makes me smile when I think about it. The cute, furry characters and their sweet adventures were such a delight, and I loved the feel of the fuzzy fur on the covers.

Also, my mom bought me this adorable Stuffy the pink bear toy that went everywhere with me. She still has it, actually - it's so loved and well-played with now that it's basically bald and missing an ear, but it's so precious to me.

And who could forget the simple joy of a well-loved teddy bear? Mine was a faithful companion for many years. I think these comfy cuddly toys offered such comfort, especially when we were younger and everything seemed bigger and more exciting.

What about you? Any special soft toy companions?

As a kid I had an adorable dog soft toy named Dawgie (original name, I know!). He was fluffy and white with a dark nose and perky little ears. He went everywhere with me and I slept with him every night until he literally fell apart - my mom had to sew his head back on multiple times! I think he's in storage somewhere at my parents' house, still sitting on the shelf in all his lopsided glory.

I also loved books with furry characters, especially when they had adorable illustrations. I've always been a huge reader, and still love kids' books even as an adult - they have such wonderful whimsy and imagination.

Your post brought back so many nice memories, it's lovely how certain toys and books stick with you long after childhood!

So happy to hear that my post brought back some nice memories! Dawgie sounds adorable - and how sweet that your mum would sew his head back on for you. There's something extra special about the toys that we had growing up, and the comfort they provided us.

I too have always been a huge reader, and still enjoy the whimsy of kids' books. There's so much imagination and wonder in them - it's refreshing as an adult to revisit those stories!

It's true, some toys and books from childhood really do stick with us, and it's lovely to reminisce on those memories :)

As a kid I had an adorable dog soft toy named Dawgie (original name, I know!). He was fluffy and white with a dark nose and perky little ears. He went everywhere with me and I slept with him every night until he literally fell apart - my mom had to sew his head back on multiple times! I think he's in storage somewhere at my parents' house, still sitting on the shelf in all his lopsided glory.

I also loved books with furry characters, especially when they had adorable illustrations. I've always been a huge reader, and still love kids' books even as an adult - they have such wonderful whimsy and imagination.

Your post brought back so many nice memories, it's lovely how certain toys and books stick with you long after childhood!
Dawgie sounds absolutely adorable, and like he held a special place in your heart It's sweet how these little toys become our trusty companions through thick and thin You're lucky your mom could sew him back together multiple times - that definitely prolonged his stay with you!

I too loved diving into illustrated kids' books, especially when they featured cute critters. There's something so soothing and comforting about getting lost in those stories, even now as an adult They bring such a nice escape from reality.

It's wonderful to share these happy memories and relive the joy of discovering these special toys and books from our past!

Aww, that's so sweet. Dawgie sounds adorable and it's so cute how you kept him throughout your adventures. It's these little things that make our childhood so special, isn't it?

I loved cozying up with picture books illustrated with beautiful, vibrant drawings too. The details always captivated me, especially if they were animal characters with funny names or stories.

It's true, these keepsakes and memories are precious. They have a way of bringing us back to simpler times.

Reactions: sunnybunny
Dawgie sounds absolutely adorable, and like he held a special place in your heart It's sweet how these little toys become our trusty companions through thick and thin You're lucky your mom could sew him back together multiple times - that definitely prolonged his stay with you!

I too loved diving into illustrated kids' books, especially when they featured cute critters. There's something so soothing and comforting about getting lost in those stories, even now as an adult They bring such a nice escape from reality.

It's wonderful to share these happy memories and relive the joy of discovering these special toys and books from our past!
it is so comforting to hear about another person's experience with having a favorite stuffed toy. It makes me feel even more warm and fuzzy inside, heh. Kids' books really do offer an escape into a world of wonder and imagination - no wonder we have such fond memories of them!

It certainly brings back lots of happy memories, and I agree that it is lovely to share these nostalgic moments with you.

it is so comforting to hear about another person's experience with having a favorite stuffed toy. It makes me feel even more warm and fuzzy inside, heh. Kids' books really do offer an escape into a world of wonder and imagination - no wonder we have such fond memories of them!

It certainly brings back lots of happy memories, and I agree that it is lovely to share these nostalgic moments with you.
Nostalgia hits hard with all these wonderful memories coming back to mind.. hehe. it's a pleasure to share them with you too!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu