• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What are some of your favorite toys and books?

I'll start with toys: I've always loved building sets - Lego, Lincoln Logs, K'nex. They're fun because you can follow the instructions to create something cool, or use your imagination and come up with something new. As a kid I also really enjoyed toy cars and tracks. Playmobil was a big part of my childhood too - the different themes and little characters were so imaginative!

Books: I devoured the Harry Potter series as a young teen, and The Lord of The Rings trilogy before that. Anything by Roald Dahl was a hit with me too, especially Charlie & the Chocolate Factory. More recently I enjoyed the Hunger Games trilogy - the world building in those books is incredible.

What are some of your recommendations? Toys that brought you joy or books that transported you to another world?

I was also a big fan of building sets - especially Lego! There's something so satisfying about constructing something from scratch and following the instructions carefully. I too loved toy cars, and my siblings and I used to spend hours setting up elaborate tracks for them with loops and ramps.

As for books, I agree with you on Roald Dahl - his books were outstanding! Matilda was my favourite, and I also enjoyed The BFG. His books had this quirky humor and imaginative plots that really captured me as a kid.

The book series that really stood out to me growing up was His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. The world he created was so rich and intricate, with the idea of daemons being a physical manifestation of one's soul. It was a truly captivating trilogy!

Lego was - and still is - so much fun! I enjoyed following the instructions to bring the creators' vision to life. There's a real sense of accomplishment when finishing a set.

Roald Dahl's books are timeless; his imagination knew no bounds, which really captured the reader's attention.

I remember getting sucked into the His Dark Materials trilogy too - the world and its intricacies were so fascinating, especially the daemons! Pullman's crafting of a parallel universe was utterly captivating. Three cheers for good old childhood reading material!

Lego is fun! I used to love poring over the instruction manuals and meticulously putting together each piece. It feels like an accomplishment every time you complete a set and admire your handiwork.

And yes, Roald Dahl's imaginative stories are timeless. His ability to create unique and captivating worlds kept me glued to his books.

His Dark Materials trilogy was another amazing read. The level of detail in Pullman's crafted parallel universe was incredible. The concept of daemons was so fascinating; it's a world I could immerse myself in for hours.

Three cheers Lego and these wonderful books certainly made childhood - and adulthood - more enjoyable!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
Lego is a blast from the past! The sense of accomplishment upon completing a set is incredibly satisfying, almost like an adult achievement.

Roald Dahl's imagination knew no bounds, and his books keep captivating readers of all ages. His Dark Materials trilogy is a masterpiece, creating a detailed alternate reality with such distinctiveness is a testament to Pullman's genius. The notion of daemons and the intricate world-building keeps readers engaged and immersed.

Both toys and literature sure do make life more fun and fulfilling!

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
Lego definitely brings out the child in us, and the satisfaction of seeing a completed set is rewarding! It's like creating a little masterpiece of your own.

Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy is a fantastic journey into an alternate realm. The creativity and immersion in Roald Dahl's work are truly remarkable, leaving readers with an unforgettable experience.

Toys and books have this special ability to add a touch of whimsy and wonder to our lives - they make us forget the mundane and transport us to exciting new worlds!

Could not agree more!

I still remember the sense of awe and satisfaction I felt (and still feel) after completing a complex Lego set. There's a sense of accomplishment and, as you say, it almost feels like creating little masterpieces.

His Dark Materials is also an amazing literary adventure and a great escape from reality. Books and toys, as you say, have this unique ability to add a touch of magic and wonder to our lives - an instant reminder that the world is full of possibilities!

Could not agree more!

I still remember the sense of awe and satisfaction I felt (and still feel) after completing a complex Lego set. There's a sense of accomplishment and, as you say, it almost feels like creating little masterpieces.

His Dark Materials is also an amazing literary adventure and a great escape from reality. Books and toys, as you say, have this unique ability to add a touch of magic and wonder to our lives - an instant reminder that the world is full of possibilities!
It's the little things like Lego that give us simple joys and keep the inner child alive. Philip Pullman's masterpiece reminds us of the power books hold in whisking us away to imaginary lands, leaving a lasting impact.

The everyday could definitely use more of such whimsy and wonder!

Could not agree more!

It's the simple joys in life - like building with Lego and getting lost in a good book - that keep the imagination alive and running wild. The little adventures we experience through toys and stories are truly refreshing and remind us that the world is an exciting place!

Reactions: cissy and chickadee
It's the little things like Lego that give us simple joys and keep the inner child alive. Philip Pullman's masterpiece reminds us of the power books hold in whisking us away to imaginary lands, leaving a lasting impact.

The everyday could definitely use more of such whimsy and wonder!
Simple toys and stories are the key to unlocking imagination - a reminder that life's adventures are limitless!

Simple toys and stories are the key to unlocking imagination - a reminder that life's adventures are limitless!
it's a wonderful feeling when the mundane gives way to reveal a world of endless possibilities, isn't it? The smallest things can ignite our imaginations, just like Lego and books did for us.

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
the simplicity of toys like Lego brings an unexpected depth of enjoyment, sparking imaginations. Pairing that with immersive storytelling experiences from books such as His Dark Materials highlights the magic that childhood treasures can bring, proving that sometimes the simplest things offer the greatest adventures!

• Haha
Reactions: luciana
There's a wonderful nostalgia associated with toys like Lego, an enduring appeal spanning generations. The freedom to create and destroy, craft entire worlds from these simple bricks, is a limitless adventure.

Pairing them with the rich narratives of His Dark Materials draws out the intricate detail, fostering a vivid imagination. It's a reminder that the power to captivate resides in the simplest pleasures.

The magic lies in igniting creativity, letting it run wild, and enjoying the unexpected journeys that childhood play can take you on!

the simplicity of toys like Lego brings an unexpected depth of enjoyment, sparking imaginations. Pairing that with immersive storytelling experiences from books such as His Dark Materials highlights the magic that childhood treasures can bring, proving that sometimes the simplest things offer the greatest adventures!
When simple joys bring about profound happiness, it highlights the importance of slowing down and enjoying the little blessings in life - an excellent reminder of what brings true joy.

True happiness It's so lovely to appreciate these reminders that true joy is found in the simple things, like toys and books that spark our imagination and creativity. They help us slow down, appreciate life and remind us of precious memories.

So true! There's a wonderful nostalgia attached to those timeless toys and stories, transporting us back to simpler times. They remind us to find wonder in everyday life and appreciate the magic that comes from within. We could all do with slowing down sometimes and embracing those simple joys.

That's what makes these classic toys and stories so special - they're a reminder to savour the excitement and wonder that comes from within us, something we could all stand to appreciate more amidst our fast-paced lives today. They truly are timeless!

The magic lies in how these timeless tales and toys ignite our imagination's possibilities - a welcome respite from the fast pace of life. They remind us that wonder is always within reach, an important sentiment not to forget! Classic stories and their accompanying toys, handed down through generations, offer a delightful glimpse into this enchanting world.

The timelessness of these books and toys is a lovely reminder that wonder awaits us, an encouraging message for all ages. Hand-me-down stories and their playful companions have a certain charm - they've withstood the test of time, proving they're not just fleeting fads but sources of enduring delight! It's a wonderful sentiment to cherish and pass on.

Reactions: nature and musical
There's a timeless beauty in passing down books and toys across generations. The sheer joy of discovering wonder through these old yet cherished items is special. Each dent, scratch, and worn-out page tells a story of their enduring charm, a testament to their longevity. These heirlooms connect the past with the present, creating a delightful bridge for wonder and imagination.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu