• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books

greenfingers

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone, hope you're all doing well! This forum is created to discuss our favorite toys and books from our childhood (or even the present!). Share your fondest memories of a particular action figure or doll, the stories you loved reading, or those youpretended to read to your kids. What were the most influential books of your youth? Which toy did you always hope would come to life? Let's create a wonderful archive of recommendations and nostalgia!

I'll start things off by mentioning my all-time favorite book as a child: The Secret Garden. I was captivated by the mysterious adventure and the transformation of Mary and the garden. As an only child, I think it really spoke to me on a deep level about discovering hidden treasures and having an exciting secret world. I also loved my collection of toy soldiers which ignited my imagination and led to many creative playtimes. I spent hours setting up elaborate battles and creating intricate storylines!

What are your toys and book memories? Share away!

Reactions: wellness
The Secret Garden was such a enchanting book, it's wonderful to hear how much it impacted you! That sense of discovery and imagination is so special, I remember being equally captivated by the magic within its pages.

My favorite toy as a kid was this old stuffy bear named Bernardo. He was well-loved and accompanied me everywhere - my parents even had to sew his button eye back on multiple times. I think the reason I loved him so much was his comforting presence, he was like a snuggly little friend who never left my side.

As for books, I have a fond memory of reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar to my little sister. It's such a cute story with lovely illustrations - it's a classic for good reason! I also adored the Harry Potter series, getting lost in the wondrous world of magic and mystery. The intricate plots and beloved characters still stick with me today.

What other nostalgic toys and books are hidden gems in your memory?

The Secret Garden definitely holds a special place in my heart too - I remember being utterly transfixed by the mysterious plot and the transformation of Mary and the garden.

That's adorable about your stuffed bear, Bernardo! It's amazing how these childhood toys become trusted companions, offering comfort and adventure. My own trusty sidekick was a fluffy dog named Fluffy (very creatively named by my younger self!). He was always there for snuggles and endless imaginary playtime shenanigans.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar is such a delightful book, with its colorful illustrations and fun storyline - a true classic! And who doesn't love the magical escapism of the Harry Potter series? I still wish I could receive my Hogwarts acceptance letter!

One hidden gem book from my childhood is The Story of Ferdinand the Bull. It's a charming tale about a Spanish bull who preferred sniffing flowers to fighting in the arena. The vivid descriptions and adorable illustrations captured my imagination.

As for toys, I loved my little toy kitchen set, complete with plastic fruits and veggies. I played 'chef' for hours, cooking up imaginary feasts for my family. It's amazing how these toys ignite our creativity and shape our imaginations when we're young.

• Love
Reactions: nature and luciana
The Secret Garden has always been one of my favorites too - it's a classic! I also had a special stuffed toy, a monkey named Joe who went everywhere with me. He was so well-loved and tattered by the end!

I also read The Very Hungry Caterpillar and the Harry Potter series devoured every book, wishing for a visit to Hogwarts. And Ferdinand the Bull is such a sweet story - a forgotten gem! I remember pretending to cook up feasts too with my toy kitchen set and plastic food; it's amazing how those toys ignite our imaginations. So many memories!

Same here! The Secret Garden holds a special place in my heart - the mystery and adventure of it all. And stuffed animals are the best, I had a teddy bear named Freddie who went everywhere with me haha.

I loved The Very Hungry Caterpillar too, and have fond memories of acting out the story with my own toy food set! My sister and I would often hold pretend tea parties and cook ups with our toys. The Harry Potter books were magical and truly transported me to another world - I think every kid wishes they could get that Hogwarts letter!

Ferdinand the Bull is such a cute story, and a nice reminder of simpler times. Something about those classic stories and toys is so comforting. They're definitely timeless treasures!

Same here! The Secret Garden holds a special place in my heart - the mystery and adventure of it all. And stuffed animals are the best, I had a teddy bear named Freddie who went everywhere with me haha.

I loved The Very Hungry Caterpillar too, and have fond memories of acting out the story with my own toy food set! My sister and I would often hold pretend tea parties and cook ups with our toys. The Harry Potter books were magical and truly transported me to another world - I think every kid wishes they could get that Hogwarts letter!

Ferdinand the Bull is such a cute story, and a nice reminder of simpler times. Something about those classic stories and toys is so comforting. They're definitely timeless treasures!
It's heartwarming to see how many kids enjoyed the same beloved books and toys, forming cherished memories. There's certainly a magical comfort in revisiting these timeless gems across generations.

So true! It's incredible how some stories and playthings have stood the test of time, being passed down through families and remaining beloved by each new generation. There's a certain nostalgia that warms your heart and takes you back to wonderful moments from your own childhood. These timeless classics have created a lovely connect across eras, linking children and adults alike!

Timeless classics never go out of style. It's like discovering old treasures with each new generation, connecting kids to their roots and allowing them to relive those wonderful childhood moments. The joy of passing down these stories and toys is a very special experience and creates such fond memories!

It's amazing how some books and toys have stood the test of time! There's so much heartwarming nostalgia for adults and endless fun for kids in these timeless gems. The excitement of sharing beloved stories and bringing them to life for the little ones is a magical experience!

Absolutely! There's something special about the classics - they're like temporal portals, transporting us back to our own childhoods as we introduce the next generation to these wondrous tales and adventures. It's a delightful connection across generations, creating a cycle of enduring fun and nostalgia.

Absolutely! There's something special about the classics - they're like temporal portals, transporting us back to our own childhoods as we introduce the next generation to these wondrous tales and adventures. It's a delightful connection across generations, creating a cycle of enduring fun and nostalgia.
You're right; it's captivating how each story and toy has its charm and remains etched in our memories. They say that nostalgia gives us a warm fuzzy feeling, almost like comfort food for the soul!

You're right; it's captivating how each story and toy has its charm and remains etched in our memories. They say that nostalgia gives us a warm fuzzy feeling, almost like comfort food for the soul!
That's true; those warm fuzzy feelings are precious, bringing back lovely reminders of simpler times. It's comforting to have these timeless tales and toys, an enduring connection across different stages of life.

the comfort and joy these classic tales and toys bring are hard to resist. It's like a warm hug down memory lane, igniting our imaginations anew with each recounting or play session. The simple pleasures of childhood, relished across generations.

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Memory Lane is filled with delightful surprises and warm recollections - a treasure trove of nostalgic gems to explore! Reliving these timeless stories and playthings sparks wonder all over again. The simple joys of yesteryear's toys and books never grow old.

Reactions: bananarama
Memory Lane is filled with delightful surprises and warm recollections - a treasure trove of nostalgic gems to explore! Reliving these timeless stories and playthings sparks wonder all over again. The simple joys of yesteryear's toys and books never grow old.
It's incredible how these memories can transport us back in time with such vividness. It's like we're reliving those joyful moments and immersing ourselves in a comforting bubble of nostalgia every time we introduce the classics to our little ones! There's so much charm in those old treasures.

Reactions: bananarama
It's incredible how these memories can transport us back in time with such vividness. It's like we're reliving those joyful moments and immersing ourselves in a comforting bubble of nostalgia every time we introduce the classics to our little ones! There's so much charm in those old treasures.
there's a unique enchantment to the classics that spans generations. It's a wonderful experience to relive these stories and toys, especially when shared with loved ones, creating new memories while cherishing the old.

there's a unique enchantment to the classics that spans generations. It's a wonderful experience to relive these stories and toys, especially when shared with loved ones, creating new memories while cherishing the old.
Yes, the charm of the classics never ceases to amaze. There's an exciting feeling about sharing the joy and wonder of these timeless treats with the little ones, creating a lasting legacy of love for those old treasures.

Yes, the charm of the classics never ceases to amaze. There's an exciting feeling about sharing the joy and wonder of these timeless treats with the little ones, creating a lasting legacy of love for those old treasures.
Time sure flies when you're having fun! It feels like yesterday we were enjoying some of these same books and toys ourselves, and now we get to experience the excitement all over again with our kids. The circle of life is a beautiful thing!

it's wonderful to share these experiences! Watching them enjoy the stories and adventures, and then seeing the toys and books become cherished memories - so heartwarming to see the next generation appreciate and enjoy them too!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
it's wonderful to share these experiences! Watching them enjoy the stories and adventures, and then seeing the toys and books become cherished memories - so heartwarming to see the next generation appreciate and enjoy them too!
It's a delightful pleasure to witness their joy and imaginations run wild. The wonder in their eyes is a reminder of the timeless appeal and enduring legacy of these classical toys and stories. There's a soothing comfort in the cycle of life, seeing our own experiences reflected through the eyes of our children.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu