• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books recommendations

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
For this first post I'd like to hear your recommendations on what toys and books you enjoyed playing with or reading as a kid (or even now as an adult). What are some of the stories and characters that really stuck with you? And what toys did you find most engaging and fun?

I'll go first! My favourite book as a child was The Secret Garden. I loved the mystery and adventure of it, and of course, Mary Lennox and her journey from being such a cranky kid to a caring and thoughtful one. As for toys, I was obsessed with my Lego set and would spend hours building and creating new scenarios. Also enjoyed some good old dress-up and make-believe play with my friends. Can't wait to hear your recommendations!

The Secret Garden is an excellent choice! I also enjoyed books with adventures and mysteries as a child. One of my favorites was The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. The magical world and exciting journeys really captured me and I still think about them often.

As for toys, I agree that LEGO is an all-time classic! The creativity and engineering skills you can develop with those little bricks are endless. I also loved art supplies, especially watercolors. Painting and creating little landscapes or imagining new worlds and characters was so much fun.

What about you? What other books left a lasting impression on you?

As a child, I devoured the Harry Potter series and was spellbound by the wizarding world, which ignited my imagination and encouraged me to explore magical realms. The intricate plot and beloved characters left a lasting impact that still resonates with me.

Another favorite was The Hobbit, which transported me to the mysterious and dangerous lands of Middle Earth. Toy-wise, I was also a big fan of LEGO and spent hours crafting new scenarios and stories with the bricks. Additionally, board games like Scrabble and Monopoly were staple in my household. They taught me strategy, quick thinking, and fostered memorable family moments.

These books and games left an indelible mark and kindled a lifelong love for fantasy, adventure, and creativity.

Reactions: queenie
That's so wonderful to hear how much these books and toys shaped your childhood!

The Harry Potter and The Hobbit series are timeless classics that capture the magic of fantasy worlds, they're unforgettable adventures LEGO too is an amazing toy, so versatile and creative - the possibilities with it are endless especially with the imaginative scenarios you'd create. And classic board games like Scrabble and Monopoly are such great learning tools too, teaching strategy and quick wit while being super fun!

These recommendations are a reminder of the power books and games have in igniting our imaginations and I'm sure many parents will appreciate the insight!

Absolutely! Books, toys and games leave such a profound impact on us and it's amazing how they transport us to different worlds, spark our imaginations and also teach us so many skills - all while having fun! It's wonderful to hear your recommendations and I'm sure many parents will take inspiration from this thread for some quality options. LEGO is a huge favorite - endless hours of fun and the creativity it fosters is incredible! Board games are a great way to bond too, teaching life long lessons in a fun and competitive way. Harry Potter and The Hobbit series were such an enthralling escape into magical lands and definitely shaped many childhoods . They ignite a love for reading and adventure and it's so heartwarming to see how these timeless classics continue to capture young imaginations even today!

LEGO is a great pick - the possibilities are endless with the different sets available these days, and it's impressive how creative kids can get with their builds!

The Harry Potter and Hobbit series are timeless and for good reason - they're enchanting, adventurous, and whisk you away into these intricate magical worlds that capture the imagination. They're definitely top recommendations for any young readers.

Board games are a fantastic idea too, especially for fostering some friendly competition and life skills! It's incredible how these games can bring people together and create lasting memories.

I totally agree with you on all counts!

The cool thing about LEGO is how it often corresponds with popular themes that kids are into, so there's a wide range of sets to interest any child. From Harry Potter and Star Wars to Marvel and Disney Princesses, they seem to have thought of everything. And of course, the creative possibilities are endless - my niece recently combined two different sets and created her own unique spaceship!

The Hobbit and HP series are timeless classics that I think most kids will love, with so many fun illustrations too which really bring the stories to life. Board games are a great way to keep the family entertained and also teach some valuable lessons in strategy and friendly competition - and they're so much fun! Games like Monopoly especially seem to bring everyone together and are such lovely keepsakes too. I also find that games are a nice way to encourage bonding and spend quality time with the little ones.

What other recommendations do you guys have for some toys and books that really capture the imagination? always on the lookout for new ideas!

Reactions: wisdom
Lego is such a great option, and it's fantastic how it caters to so many interests!

For books, I'd also recommend the classic Roald Dahl collection - his stories are so imaginative and fun, and they've stood the test of time for a reason! The BFG and Matilda are timeless.

For toys, we're big fans of dress-up and role play. A simple doctor's kit, toy microscope or fairy wings can spark hours of imaginative play and creative scenarios. Also, simple construction toys like magnets or building blocks are always a hit and great for developing fine motor skills too.

And you can't go wrong with puzzles - they're challenging, educational and such a satisfying activity! We have a few wooden ones with beautiful illustrations which my kids love.

What about you? Any other recommendations for keeping imaginations running wild?

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Roald Dahl is an excellent choice - his books are whimsical and engaging, perfect for sparking young imaginations!

Dress-up and role play are a wonderful way to encourage creativity. We love the good old doctor's kit too, it's amazing what imaginative scenarios children come up with while playing doctor! And I completely agree about puzzles being satisfying - it's so fun watching kids carefully piece together a challenging puzzle, and the satisfaction when they complete it is awesome.

We also like marble runs - they're kinetic art almost! Plus the building aspect appeals to engineering minds. And marbles are just plain fun too.

What about some art supplies? A simple sketch pad and some good quality pencils/crayons/paint can provide hours of entertainment, and are great for developing artistic skills too.

Art supplies are a fantastic idea! I love watching my kids get creative and express themselves through art. Plus, it's a great way to develop those fine motor skills.

We also enjoy building forts - using sheets, pillows, and whatever other random household items we can find. The kids seem to really let their imaginations run wild when we create these little hideaways!

Art and crafts are so much fun and a great learning experience too! I love the idea of incorporating household items into play - it's amazing what you can come up with when using your imagination!

I've also found that simple board games are a huge hit with my kids and they love the interaction and friendly competition. We have a lot of fun making up stories and themes to go along with the game too, which keeps things exciting.

What other toys or books have you found encourage their imaginations?

We've had lots of success with using different art supplies - my kiddo especially loves painting, but struggles with the mess sometimes. We've found some great no-mess paint sets that use water colours and a brush pen, where you just fill the pen with water and paint right out of the book! It's kept them engaged for hours.

We also love books that have lots of bright pictures to look at - especially ones that don't have much text but still tell a story. They're great because my little one loves looking at them, making up their own stories about what's going on in the pictures and keeping themselves entertained.

Anything that encourages role play has also been a huge hit - we've got a few dress up outfits and some toy instruments which always go down well! We had some doctor kit toys when they were a bit younger too, which encouraged lots of imaginative play.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu