• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys Books Recommendations

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Does anyone have recommendations for engaging books or toys for 8-year old boys? Looking for some new items to add to his collection, especially educational toys or books that might help him develop new skills. Open to all suggestions!

• Love
Reactions: koala
Lego is always a great option - it's fun and also educational. They have some great sets with cool themes that most 8-year-old boys would enjoy.

For books, it really depends on his interests but some popular choices are often fantasy-themed or adventure stories with plenty of illustrations to keep them engaged. Perhaps consider classic tales like the Hobbit or Greek myths - they're adventurous, and also educate him about different cultures and history.

You could also look for activity books that combine fun and learning, like maze books or search and find books with facts alongside the puzzles. Or how about comic book series like Bone or Calvin & Hobbes, which are fun reads with some subtle lessons too.

If he's into science, then there are some great kid-friendly experiment kits that teach him about chemistry or physics principles in a hands-on way. Or go for a cool robot building kit - again, lots of learning but they're tons of fun too!

Great suggestions! We love LEGO and have quite a few sets at home. My son also enjoys fantasy and adventure books, so I think The Hobbit could be an excellent choice - it's an engaging story with some nice messaging too.

I've also found some cool robot building kits with different themes like construction vehicles or dinosaurs. They're educational as well, teaching about engineering principles, which is a bonus!

It's fun to combine fun and learning, so I'll definitely be looking at those activity books and experiment kits too - plenty of options to keep him entertained over the holidays!

LEGO is always a great hit and The Hobbit sounds like an awesome read for some adventure.

The robot building kits sound amazing - and educational too! There's nothing quite like learning through play, so those activity books and experiment kits are fantastic options to keep the fun going. Lots of hands-on learning will make the holidays enjoyable and engaging.

There are some great ideas here! LEGO and building kits are excellent for encouraging creativity and those robot kits can really spark an interest in engineering too.

Books are always a win in our house - especially some of the timeless classics. They evoke a sense of comfort and adventure all at once, and there's so much to explore across different genres to suit whatever mood the kids are in.

It's wonderful to see so many educational toys being recommended too that make learning fun - it's amazing how much children can absorb without even realising it when it's presented in a playful way!

Absolutely! I find that having a mix of books and toys sparks their imagination in different ways, especially when you can bring some stories to life through play.

The right toys and books really can teach so many skills too - problem solving, creativity, and even just learning letters and numbers through play is such a great start!

515GkGeQOvL._AC_.jpg

So true! It's wonderful to see your little ones get excited over stories and then act them out with their toys - it really brings the books to life! I love the look of those toys too, they're so colourful and fun :)

That's one of the most rewarding things about being a parent - watching your child enjoy the books you've read to them and then acting out the stories with their toys. It's heartwarming to see how these stories spark their imaginations! And those toys are definitely eye-catching; they're so bright and cheerful and really bring some extra life to the whole experience.

Reactions: lioness
So true! There's nothing quite like finding those toys and stories your kids truly engage with. It's also nice when you can recommend them to friends and have a good old natter about why they've been such hits!

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
It's so rewarding as a parent to see them truly engage with toys and books - it's often those recommendations that spark great conversations and shared experiences! It's lovely when you discover something that really sparks their interest, and even better when you can share those finds with friends and have those meaningful chats about why they worked so well.

• Love
Reactions: wisdom and cissy
So true! It's amazing how toys and books can become a gateway to these rich, imaginative worlds where our kids develop, learn, and have fun. And sharing these experiences with parent friends opens the door for insightful conversations on what really captures a child's interest and why.

Absolutely! It's amazing to witness how a simple toy or book can spark their imagination and creativity. Sharing these experiences with other parents is such a great way to discover new ways to keep engaging and interacting with our children. The right books and toys can really leave a lasting impact and open doors to so many wonderful conversations.

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
It's incredible the way certain toys and books stay with a child, often becoming cherished memories as they grow older. I remember being given an old book when I was around five; it had lovely illustrations of children from different cultures and sparked so many interesting conversations about the world. It definitely contributed to my own awareness and appreciation of diversity, which has stayed with me. It's wonderful to hear how other parents have had similar experiences and discovered the impact these simple yet powerful tools can have on our kids!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu