• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books Recommendations Wanted!

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for toys and books? I'm looking for suggestions for my little ones - they're currently really into their building blocks but I want to expand their library and expose them to some new textures and experiences. What were your children's favorites at around this age?

Some great texture toys include foam blocks which are fun, colorful and a good sensory experience. There are also some great texture books with different fabrics and materials attached for little ones to feel - these are especially good for babies too!

My son loved his wooden animal puzzle with big pieces that he could easily pick up and the different shapes and colors were so engaging. We also enjoyed building towers with big colorful magnetic blocks around this age which encouraged some great hand-eye coordination!

For books, I found that lift-the-flap books were a huge hit and still are - they're such a fun interactive experience. Also, touchy feely books with different textures to feel on each page were a go-to especially for bedtime stories - the babyish texture of the pages was soothing!

We also enjoyed reading any book with lots of pictures of other babies and toddlers - my son was fascinated by other children doing everyday things which made story time very enjoyable!

What are your current favorites? It's so lovely discovering new recommendations!

Some great suggestions here, especially the texture toys and books - they're such a fantastic idea for little ones!

We have a fun texture book with different world textures like brick walls, flowers, fur etc which my tot loves to touch and feel and guess what it is.

My current favourite and recent discovery are these great water colour boards - they come with a pen filled with water and a board that has different pictures hidden under the surface. You use the pen to colour in the picture and it reveals the image with a cool watercolour effect that dries beautifully! It's such a neat, mess free way to encourage creativity and my little one loves watching the pictures appear.

Also into threading beads right now which helps with fine motor skills - I'm just impressed she gets the concept already!

Any recommendations for older toddlers? Looking to stock up for an upcoming flight so keen to hear some new ideas!

For older toddlers, it's hard to go past the classic fun of Play-Doh! There are some great sets with different tools and moulds that provide loads of creative fun. Also, think about puzzles - they're a fantastic way to develop problem solving skills. Start with something simple like a basic 4 or 6 piece puzzle for older toddlers and you can gradually increase the difficulty as they master them.

The watercolour boards sound amazing - such a great idea for mess-free creativity! And anything that encourages touch and feel is fantastic for sensory development, so definitely keep an eye out for texture toys. Perhaps even think about getting some real photos of textures like sandy beaches or furry animals for a toddler-friendly sensory experience.

Some other ideas for keeping little ones entertained on a flight might include sticker books, small board games or travel-sized magnetic drawing boards. And don't forget the good old favourite: a tiny toy or two and a few treats tucked inside a new, exciting book!

Play-Doh is a great suggestion! We go through containers of the stuff at our house - the tactile nature is fun for that age group and the moulded sets provide some nice structure for open-ended play.

I'll echo the puzzle sentiment too - we've got some nice wooden puzzles that have cute animals on them which make finding the right pieces a bit more fun. We keep the pieces stored in a ziplock bag, and my little one likes to dump them out and match them up.

We also like sticker books - there are some with really cute themes and they're great for flights or car trips. My toddler also loves her magnetic drawing board which is compact and perfect for travel.

Some other things we've found successful for this age group are those little play sets with figures (like a farm, zoo, or fire station) with tiny animals/people and teeny accessories they can fiddle around with. Fiddle toys seem to be all the rage right now too - those small, compact gadgets with different textural buttons and moving parts that kids love to click and clap.

For books, we've enjoyed the Spot the Dog series which have lift-the-flap elements which are always fun. Or for something a bit different, the touchy-feely books with different textures built right in are great, or the ones with real photos of animals are good too - they feel a lot more 'real' to tiny tot learners.

Lots of great ideas here!

Play-Doh is a great suggestion! We go through containers of the stuff at our house - the tactile nature is fun for that age group and the moulded sets provide some nice structure for open-ended play.

I'll echo the puzzle sentiment too - we've got some nice wooden puzzles that have cute animals on them which make finding the right pieces a bit more fun. We keep the pieces stored in a ziplock bag, and my little one likes to dump them out and match them up.

We also like sticker books - there are some with really cute themes and they're great for flights or car trips. My toddler also loves her magnetic drawing board which is compact and perfect for travel.

Some other things we've found successful for this age group are those little play sets with figures (like a farm, zoo, or fire station) with tiny animals/people and teeny accessories they can fiddle around with. Fiddle toys seem to be all the rage right now too - those small, compact gadgets with different textural buttons and moving parts that kids love to click and clap.

For books, we've enjoyed the Spot the Dog series which have lift-the-flap elements which are always fun. Or for something a bit different, the touchy-feely books with different textures built right in are great, or the ones with real photos of animals are good too - they feel a lot more 'real' to tiny tot learners.

Lots of great ideas here!
The toddler toy scene is definitely an exciting one! So many cute and educational toys out there 😍 I'm glad to hear your little one is enjoying their sensory books and toys; it's amazing how fascinated they get with all the different textures and elements, isn't it?

Have you considered those fancy new shape sorters with the different coloured holes and quirky shapes that little hands can practice inserting? I've seen some cool wooden ones with different textures on the shapes too which provide a nice added sensory element. Or how about some simple thread bead sets with large holes to help develop those fine motor skills - great prep work for future jewellery makers! ;D

Anything that lights up or makes sounds also tends to be a winner - perhaps a toy cash register with scan and beep noises or one of those instrument toys which are a hit with the different buttons and keys to press and grab their attention.

What toys have been your little one's all-time favourites?

Shape sorters are a fantastic idea! She's got a few toys involving shapes but I like how sensory focused some of them can be. The thread bead sets sound great for developing motor skills - I've noticed her becoming increasingly interested in threading things like pasta onto strings so I think she'd enjoy that.

She has a toy guitar that lights up and makes sounds which she adores - anything with music is a hit, really. She dances and 'sings' along, it's adorable. We haven't got a toy cash register but that sounds like a fun one to add to the collection - especially with the beeping noises!

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
Shape sorters are brilliant for developing visual and sensory skills, and I've found that the variety of shapes also help teach colours and sizes!

The thread bead sets are fantastic for working on hand-eye coordination and motor skills - a great extension of her current interest in threading objects!

Music toys are so much fun, especially when they encourage movement too. A toy cash register with some good beeps and sounds could definitely join the guitar in encouraging some fun musical play!

Shape sorters are a fantastic idea and a great way to develop those essential skills! We got Oscar an activity cube with different shapes to insert and it's really helped with his colour recognition too.

I've been eyeing up some thread bead sets for him too - seems like a good next step from his current threading beads which he finds a little easy now.

He has a toy guitar but a cash register with some fun sounds would be awesome for musical play and a great addition! I'm imagining him running a little shop! Haha.

Reactions: doctormama
Shape sorters are a fantastic idea and a great way to develop those essential skills! We got Oscar an activity cube with different shapes to insert and it's really helped with his colour recognition too.

I've been eyeing up some thread bead sets for him too - seems like a good next step from his current threading beads which he finds a little easy now.

He has a toy guitar but a cash register with some fun sounds would be awesome for musical play and a great addition! I'm imagining him running a little shop! Haha.
An activity cube sounds like a wonderful toy packed full of fun and learning! Threading beads are excellent for developing those fine motor skills, and it's a great activity for concentration too. With Oscar's interest in music, perhaps a tiny keyboard or a drum could also be a hit, especially if he's the musical type!

An early learning focus would suit the toys' theme, with colors, shapes, and numbers all great fun at this age.

The cube and beads are excellent for fine motor skill development and encouraging concentration - a tiny keyboard or some hand drums for Oscar to make some noise too! A fun way to develop an awareness of music and rhythm.

Some other simple ideas:
- Stacking cups are always a win, and good for learning colors and sizes.
- Large floor puzzles that have big colorful pieces to stimulate those visual cues. Animals are a good starter topic - lots of pictures and fun sounds too!

Books with bright, colorful images and simple stories are best at this age; lift-the-flap books are very popular, as are those with a tactile element like touchy-feely books for added sensory play.

Some more ideas:
- Flashcards with pictures of different objects belonging to different categories (fruits, animals, etc.) can help with early classification and sorting skills.

For reading material, I'd suggest some classic nursery rhymes or short stories with colorful illustrations. Something like 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' is a fun, interactive story that's very popular with the under-fives.

Also, at this age, children enjoy role-play and make-believe; a simple doctor's kit or a little toy kitchen can keep them entertained for hours!

Great suggestions!

Flashcards are an excellent way to develop classification skills, and nursery rhymes with their repetitive nature are fun for learning. The Hungry Caterpillar is a brilliant interactive story, perfect for that age group you mentioned.

Role-play toys like a mini doctor's kit are so much fun and help develop imagination and social skills too. Kitchen role play also teaches them about the world of food and nutrition.

Some other ideas along this line could be a small toy store with pretend food or a toy vacuum cleaner for some fun household chores role play!

Flashcards are a great learning resource and there are so many interactive ways to use them! Classification and sorting by themes is a great way to reinforce learning categories.

Role-play is an excellent way to learn too, especially for little ones who love pretending and it's a fun way for them to understand different roles and careers. A doctor's kit is a wonderful idea and perfect for that age group where they're curious and interested in the world around them.

For some added fun, what about a toy cash register and some play money to go with the toy store theme? That way, there's so much scope for creative play and it encourages them to role-play different scenarios too. They could 'sell' you some toys when you pop into their store! 😊

Flashcards are a great learning resource and there are so many interactive ways to use them! Classification and sorting by themes is a great way to reinforce learning categories.

Role-play is an excellent way to learn too, especially for little ones who love pretending and it's a fun way for them to understand different roles and careers. A doctor's kit is a wonderful idea and perfect for that age group where they're curious and interested in the world around them.

For some added fun, what about a toy cash register and some play money to go with the toy store theme? That way, there's so much scope for creative play and it encourages them to role-play different scenarios too. They could 'sell' you some toys when you pop into their store! 😊
That sounds so cute... buying some toys from her store haha! Role-play seems to be a huge hit with this age group and offers so many learning opportunities disguised as fun!

Flashcards are definitely getting added to the wishlist, along with some new books - interactive stories are so engaging, and it's lovely to see them enjoy simple plots and characters. It's amazing how much they can learn through play and exploration!

Flashcards and interactive storybooks are fantastic ideas! Role-play toys and books really tap into their imaginative minds too, and it's amazing to see what captures their interest and sparks their creativity at this age. Learning through play is so much fun! We've also had luck with simple board games - the ones that teach counting or matching and are bright and colourful. They're a hit with our little one and they're educational too!

Reactions: bookworm
Flashcards and interactive storybooks are fantastic ideas! Role-play toys and books really tap into their imaginative minds too, and it's amazing to see what captures their interest and sparks their creativity at this age. Learning through play is so much fun! We've also had luck with simple board games - the ones that teach counting or matching and are bright and colourful. They're a hit with our little one and they're educational too!
Board games are a brilliant way to introduce some friendly competition and teach some essential skills too! Simple games with colours, shapes, or numbers are a great start for little ones, and a fun gateway to more complex games as they grow up. It's a fun way to work on those fine motor skills and concentration too!

Board games are a fantastic idea from an early age - agree that it's a great gateway into the world of games and also teaches some key skills, especially when they're simple and based on colours/shapes for little ones! We found snap a goodie too as a starter game with a bit of friendly competition, and of course Jenga which is so much fun for all ages - although a lot of supervision needed with the tiny pieces!

• Love
Reactions: luciana and queenie
Board games are a great call - we also loved playing snap as a gateway game to introduce some friendly competition, and kept the games going as our kids grew up by swapping them out for more complex ones! Jenga is a fun one too although you're right that it requires a lot of supervision with young kids.

• Love
Reactions: eternity
Board games are a great call - we also loved playing snap as a gateway game to introduce some friendly competition, and kept the games going as our kids grew up by swapping them out for more complex ones! Jenga is a fun one too although you're right that it requires a lot of supervision with young kids.
So many wonderful suggestions for fun learning! Board games and card games are a fantastic way to develop social and fine motor skills, especially when the themes are tailored to their interests, such as colourful animals or popular characters. Simple games with clear instructions that are easy for toddlers to understand encourage healthy competition and strategy formation from an early age!(Woohoo another excuse for mommies/daddies to connect 😊)

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu