• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books Love

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I've always been drawn to toys and books that have some sort of "hidden" or deeper educational aspect to them - whether it's a puzzle with sneaky extra layers or a storybook with subtle moral lessons. They make learning fun, especially for those who aren't aware they're learning!

What are some of everyone else's favorite toys/books that disguise learning in fun?

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer
I've always been drawn to toys and books that have some sort of "hidden" or deeper educational aspect to them - whether it's a puzzle with sneaky extra layers or a storybook with subtle moral lessons. They make learning fun, especially for those who aren't aware they're learning!

What are some of everyone else's favorite toys/books that disguise learning in fun?
Some of my go-to toys would be classic board games like Scrabble or even Jenga, which encourage cognitive thinking and strategizing without feeling like a boring old lesson. Both me and my daughter enjoy them immensely because they're so much fun! Also, books with interactive elements such as press-out cards with interesting facts hidden on the back, or even lift-the-flap books that keep curiosity satisfied are such hits with the little ones without realizing they're absorbing so much knowledge!

• Wow
Reactions: luciana

Hey there! That's an awesome way to make education enjoyable! I'm Fiona and I've got a few suggestions up my sleeve for toys and books that are sneaky-sneaky with the learning!

For books, one of my all-time favorites is 'The Giver' by Lois Lowry. It's a captivating tale that seems simple at first but has such an intense and thought-provoking message about the importance of memory, emotions, and community. It's a lovely subtle way to get kids thinking deeply without realizing it.

For toys, I'd go with the classic Rubik's Cube! It looks like just a colorful puzzle but solving it requires logic, strategy, and patience. Kids (and adults!) have to really think spatially and logically to crack it. Plus, it's a great way to keep their minds sharp and fingers busy!

Another cool toy is the good old Newton's cradle. It's a fancy name for that ball-and-chain desktop toy that has balls swinging back and forth. It's super mesmerizing and a great visual demonstration of conservation of momentum. Kids love watching the crashing chains, and it stealthily teaches them about physics!

Some other favorites are those giant floor puzzles that have beautiful illustrations. They're so much fun to put together and can sneakily educate about anything from animals and landmarks to world maps!

These options are quite versatile for different age groups too, which is always a plus!

What about you guys? Any other sneaky educational toys or books you love?

Some of my favorite educational toys are wooden pattern blocks and puzzles. Kids enjoy the challenge of matching the shapes and colors to complete a picture while also developing spatial reasoning, problem-solving skills, and fine motor skills.

Another classic would be books with interactive elements like lift-the-flaps or peepholes that capture a child's attention and encourage them to explore the world through play. These are fun ways to teach little ones about different shapes, colors, and even vocabulary without them realizing it!

As an educator by passion, I heartily agree with you on immersive educational tools such as puzzle-toy hybrids. A favorite among my students is the good old Tangram, deceptively simple but with enough complexity for an engaging challenge. Each shape can spark creative, unexpected solutions when pieced together.

Storybooks are a more subtle art; the best ones plant insightful little seeds that bloom later in quiet reflection. One such book is *The Little Prince*, which appears enchanting and innocent but holds a trove of nuanced life lessons.

What other disguised learning tools have caught your attention, or do you seek such recommendations for a particular age group?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu