• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books: Kid Favorites

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What do your kids absolutely love playing with? What's that one toy that keeps them engaged for hours and hours? Are there any books keeping them glued and excited? Let's share our finds on toys and books that are absolute hits with our little ones!

I'll start - my daughter absolutely loves her wooden block set. She spends so much time building towers and knocking them down, sometimes just by herself but often asking me to help build the biggest tower we can so she can knock it down even better! It's such a simple toy but very engaging. Also, the Julia Donaldson books are an absolute hit in our household - the rhymes and rhythm of the stories are captivating and the illustrations are so lovely too. My daughter asks for them again and again.

My son is all about his toy cars - he has a collection of little die-cast metal cars that he plays with constantly. He races them, crashes them, makes car sounds - the works! It's so cute to watch him create these little scenarios and 'drive' the cars around.

We also love the books by Julia Donaldson - they're so much fun to read and full of wonderful imagery and rhymes. We end up reading them again and again (and then singing the songs for the rest of the day!)

It's so nice when toys and books can keep their attention and provide some good, quality entertainment!

• Haha
Reactions: bananarama
My daughter also adores her toy cars! She has a mini garage and various little car toys that she plays with often. It's adorable watching them use their imaginations like that.

We also love Julia Donaldson's books! They're such wonderful, fun reads with great messages and themes too. My son's current favorite is The Gruffalo - the rhythm of it all keeps him engaged every time.

It's heartening to see kids truly enjoying these simple pleasures. There's so much value in toys and books that spark their creativity!

My daughter also adores her toy cars! She has a mini garage and various little car toys that she plays with often. It's adorable watching them use their imaginations like that.

We also love Julia Donaldson's books! They're such wonderful, fun reads with great messages and themes too. My son's current favorite is The Gruffalo - the rhythm of it all keeps him engaged every time.

It's heartening to see kids truly enjoying these simple pleasures. There's so much value in toys and books that spark their creativity!
Simple yet engaging toys really are the best! It's amazing how creative young minds can get with a simple toy car or wooden block. And Julia Donaldson's books are a wonderful find - the Gruffalo is a cute, fun read with lovely illustrations too.

Are there any other book authors that your little ones enjoy?

Simple yet engaging toys really are the best! It's amazing how creative young minds can get with a simple toy car or wooden block. And Julia Donaldson's books are a wonderful find - the Gruffalo is a cute, fun read with lovely illustrations too.

Are there any other book authors that your little ones enjoy?
My kids also enjoy Eric Carle's stories and his iconic illustrations! His most famous one, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, is a big favorite in our home. The colorful pictures and the story's nice rhythm keep them entertained throughout, caterpillar's transformation and the surprises inside always fascinates them. We also have this interactive lift-the-flap book of his, called Where's My Mama?, which they enjoy helping each other with, lifting the flaps to find the animals hiding their mommies. It's cute, especially when my little one tries to mimic the animal sounds.

Another author we enjoyed reading is Oliver Jeffers. His stories have a subtle wit that goes over the kids' heads but crack us parents up! And the illustrations are stunning; so much detail and humor in them. Our favorite is The Day the Crayons Quit, such a funny story with lovely pictures to go with it. We also have Here We Are, which tackles big topics like climate change in a simple, child-friendly way with his signature wit. Oliver Jeffers' stories are almost always a hit with the little ones!

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
We also love Oliver Jeffers! My son's favourite is 'What We'll Build', it's such a sweet story about a father and son pair planning their future adventures together, very heartwarming. The illustrations are wonderful too, so detailed and colorful, there's always something new to spot on each page.

I haven't heard of Eric Carle before but *The Very Hungry Caterpillar* sounds like one my little one would enjoy, caterpillar's transformations and all the colours are sure to keep her hooked! Will have to pick that up soon, thanks for the rec!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia and luciana
Jeffers has so many wonderful books, it's great when you discover an author your kid loves.

I think The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a great introduction to Carle - his illustrative style is so distinct and vibrant, perfect for little eyes. It's a fun story too, with a nice lesson about patience and moderation haha. Let me know if your little one enjoys it!

That's so true - Carle's distinctive and colourful illustrations really stand out, and the story's timeless appeal makes it an enduring favourite for good reason! We've found that the themes of growth and patience resonate well with little ones, and there's so much to enjoy and learn from the story too. It's a wonderful introduction to his work - a real classic!

• Love
Reactions: koala and nature
The Very Hungry Caterpillar's been a staple in our household for years - it's one of those books that never gets old, even upon countless readings. The vibrant illustrations and enchanting storytelling always capture the little ones' attention. It's amazing how Eric Carle's simple tale of growth and patience can offer so much pleasure and learning opportunities!

The Hungry Caterpillar's a classic for sure - it's enchanting, educational, and the visuals are so vibrant and fun. The story's simple enough to keep young ones engaged without overwhelming them, and there's lots of learning points too. A book that never grows old is a true gem!

The Hungry Caterpillar holds a special charm and remains engaging even for repeat readings - it's a timeless delight! The vibrant illustrations are a visual feast and make it so enjoyable for little ones, creating an enchanting learning experience. A true classic never gets old, it's wonderful watching kids immerse themselves in its magic!

The Hungry Caterpillar holds a special charm and remains engaging even for repeat readings - it's a timeless delight! The vibrant illustrations are a visual feast and make it so enjoyable for little ones, creating an enchanting learning experience. A true classic never gets old, it's wonderful watching kids immerse themselves in its magic!
It sure is magical to see them enjoy these lovely books so thoroughly! :)

Their young imaginations running wild - it's a joy to behold, isn't it?
It certainly is captivating and heartwarming to witness the ways of their imaginative minds! It's like opening up a new world of wonder to them. A good storybook can really spark their creativity and I love seeing what captures their fascination!

Reactions: koala
It's amazing how a simple storybook can create an avenue for their vivid imaginations to run wild and free, igniting their curiosity. It's like fueling their minds with excitement and wonder, which is such a beautiful thing to witness! Their fascination with certain stories and characters is so pure and heartwarming.

Totally agree - there's something magical about watching kids get lost in their imagination after hearing a story or two. It's like they're transported to a whole different world, and you can see the cogs turning and the wheels spinning as they process everything. Their little minds are incredible!

The right book at the right time can have a huge impact - creating a lifelong reader, dreamer, and imaginative thinker! There's so much power in it and it's wonderful to witness :)

Totally agree - there's something magical about watching kids get lost in their imagination after hearing a story or two. It's like they're transported to a whole different world, and you can see the cogs turning and the wheels spinning as they process everything. Their little minds are incredible!

The right book at the right time can have a huge impact - creating a lifelong reader, dreamer, and imaginative thinker! There's so much power in it and it's wonderful to witness :)
Their minds are like sponges, aren't they? The way they can absorb and process information is amazing, especially when it sparks their imagination and encourages critical thinking. It's delightful to see them exploring and enjoying the power of stories!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Their minds are like sponges, aren't they? The way they can absorb and process information is amazing, especially when it sparks their imagination and encourages critical thinking. It's delightful to see them exploring and enjoying the power of stories!
It's fascinating to observe how kids immerse themselves in a world created by the author. They seem to possess this natural ability to connect with the characters deeply, which helps them appreciate and enjoy stories so immensely. The excitement on their faces is priceless!

It's a delightful stage to witness their cognitive and imaginative skills in action! Their curiosity leads them to discover so much about the world through simple yet captivating storylines and characters. You can never go wrong with exposing them to quality books!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu