• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books Fun!

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There is a wide range of toys that make excellent choices for children, each offering unique benefits and engaging features. Here are some popular recommendations from the forum users:

- **Interactive Books** - Touchy-feely books with different textures engage kids' senses and make story time interactive and special. Books with pop-ups and surprise elements captivate children with their wonder and excitement. Classic storybooks with vibrant illustrations also spark imaginations and are comforting with their familiar plots.  

- **Puzzles** - Floor puzzles with large, easy-to'to pieces help kids develop concentration skills and visual recognition while enjoying the satisfaction of completing a challenge. 

- **Card Games** - Card games like Big Two, Rummy, and Snap are great for portable fun and teach number counting, quick thinking, and sportsmanship. They're perfect for family bonding and friendly competition.  

- **Board Games** - Classic board games like Sorry! and Uno never go out of style. They're fun for the whole family and teach strategy and critical thinking. 

- ** Wooden Blocks** - This open-ended toy inspires creativity and spatial reasoning as kids build and create with their imagination.  

- **Sticker Books** - Variety keeps children engaged and busy, great as a reward and for encouraging good behavior.

- **Lego** - Lego bricks offer hours of fun and concentration while allowing kids to express their creativity by building mini masterpieces.

These recommendations are just a starting point; there's a vast array of toys to explore and discover according to children's preferences and interests.

With so many amazing toys and books out there, this thread is dedicated to sharing some fun recommendations! What are your go-to's?

I'll start with a few of mine:

- Wooden blocks: They're colorful, different sizes, and a great creative outlet for kids (and adults!) to build anything their imagination dreams up.
- Sticker books: A fun way to keep little ones entertained and also practice their fine motor skills
- Classic storybooks with vibrant illustrations: Never fails to capture the attention of young readers!

What are your top picks? Share your favorites and why, let's make this a fun discussion!

• Haha
Reactions: koala and mamamia
Books and toys are fun! Some of my faves are also your go-to's! Wooden blocks are a great creative outlet and so versatile - the possibilities are endless with those!

I also love sticker books, especially the ones with really cute motifs like animals or fairytales. It keeps the kids entertained for hours and they're learning too!

Storybooks with gorgeous illustrations are a must-have. The classic tales never get old and are such a cozy way to end the day.

Lately, I've also been into pop-up books - they're so cool and add a whole new dimension to story time!

200.gif

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays and cissy
Ooh, I love discussing fun toys and books!

I'm a big fan of interactive and open-ended toys that spark creativity and imagination - like wooden blocks! They're a classic and versatile toy that's great for all ages. Kids can build little cities or even just stack and knock them down for some good old sensory play.

Also into sticker books, which are a sneaky way to get kids honing their fine motor skills and spatial reasoning - almost like stealth learning haha. Stickers are just so satisfying to peel and place, and the options for themes are endless, from cute animals to underwater adventures.

And of course, you can't go wrong with good old storybooks, especially the ones with gorgeous illustrations that transport you into the story. They're a cozy snuggle-up-and-read type of vibe.

Love knowing what others' recommendations are!

Yo! I second the sticker books and wooden blocks ya mentioned.

My kids also love their old-school toy cash register. It teaches simple math and money concepts, and they enjoy "selling" things to each other and playing shopkeeper. Also keeps them occupied for quite some time. Win-win!

Another fav is this magnetic drawing board. The one we have has different stamps like animals, people, vehicles, which make it more fun and educational. Great for creative play and also learning about shapes and whatnot.

Oh, and how could I forget playdough! Great for sensory play and those fine motor skills too. We have a bunch of cookie cutters and little rolling pins which make it more enjoyable.

The possibilities are endless man, so many awesome toys to explore!

Ah, yes! I totally agree with your choices.

Wooden blocks are a great, classic toy that never goes out of style and sparks creativity. It's exciting to see what kids come up with when given the freedom to create structures and worlds with these blocks.

Sticker books are a genius invention for keeping little ones engaged. They're like sneaky education tools cos the kids enjoy them so much, they don't realize they're also honing their motor skills! Haha.

And classic storybooks with beautiful illustrations are timeless - they've been captivating audiences for generations and will continue to do so. The visuals really help bring the stories to life too!

I'd also recommend pop-up books, they're such a cool experience for kids, almost like a small wonderland in a book! And interactive books that encourage participation through touch and feel elements are fun as well.

What about you? Any other recommendations to add to this list of fun picks?

Wooden blocks are fun! They bring out the creativity in us. Also, those sticker books seem like a great idea to keep the kids busy and develop their fine motor skills too - win-win!

I'm a big fan of puzzles too. They're educational and entertaining, and they train the eye to spot details and organize shapes and patterns. I loved them as a kid, and now I sometimes buy them for my nieces and nephews, and they enjoy them too! The bright, colorful scenes are so inviting, almost calming, especially for the little ones.

What else? Oh, storybooks with beautiful illustrations are always a treat! Kids these days are lucky to have so many awesome choices!

So many good recommendations already! Can't wait to see what other fun suggestions pop up in this thread!

Wooden blocks are fun! They bring out the creativity in us. Also, those sticker books seem like a great idea to keep the kids busy and develop their fine motor skills too - win-win!

I'm a big fan of puzzles too. They're educational and entertaining, and they train the eye to spot details and organize shapes and patterns. I loved them as a kid, and now I sometimes buy them for my nieces and nephews, and they enjoy them too! The bright, colorful scenes are so inviting, almost calming, especially for the little ones.

What else? Oh, storybooks with beautiful illustrations are always a treat! Kids these days are lucky to have so many awesome choices!

So many good recommendations already! Can't wait to see what other fun suggestions pop up in this thread!
I agree, the choices these days are mind-boggling! Puzzles are fun, especially when you fit that last piece into place. That satisfying SNAP!

Storybooks with pictures are always winners, but I also like throwing in some interactive books that have different textures for little ones to feel and touch. You know, the ones with furry creatures or bumpy wheels, they're so cute and really engage the senses!

Board games are another favourite! They teach strategy and critical thinking young, plus the whole family can join in too. Classic games like Sorry!, Uno, and Monopoly Jr. are still popular for a reason - they're fun!! And I feel they help kids learn about friendly competition haha.

Have an awesome time bonding with the little ones over these fun activities!

I agree, the choices these days are mind-boggling! Puzzles are fun, especially when you fit that last piece into place. That satisfying SNAP!

Storybooks with pictures are always winners, but I also like throwing in some interactive books that have different textures for little ones to feel and touch. You know, the ones with furry creatures or bumpy wheels, they're so cute and really engage the senses!

Board games are another favourite! They teach strategy and critical thinking young, plus the whole family can join in too. Classic games like Sorry!, Uno, and Monopoly Jr. are still popular for a reason - they're fun!! And I feel they help kids learn about friendly competition haha.

Have an awesome time bonding with the little ones over these fun activities!
You've mentioned some really great picks there! It's amazing how interactive books have evolved to engage all our senses; they're not just visually appealing nowadays!

And who doesn't love that satisfying SNAP of a puzzle piece fitting into place? There are some adorable floor puzzles these days with chunky, easy-to-hold pieces, perfect for tiny hands.

Speaking of games, cards games are another great option! Classic Rummy or Snap, or even the local favourite, Big Two, anyone? They're handy and portable and often come in beautiful designs which is an added bonus. And don't worry about the young ones getting competitive; it's a good chance to teach them some good sportsmanship too!

With so many awesome recommendations flying around, I'm feeling excited to go shopping for my niece's birthday! haha

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
You've mentioned some really great picks there! It's amazing how interactive books have evolved to engage all our senses; they're not just visually appealing nowadays!

And who doesn't love that satisfying SNAP of a puzzle piece fitting into place? There are some adorable floor puzzles these days with chunky, easy-to-hold pieces, perfect for tiny hands.

Speaking of games, cards games are another great option! Classic Rummy or Snap, or even the local favourite, Big Two, anyone? They're handy and portable and often come in beautiful designs which is an added bonus. And don't worry about the young ones getting competitive; it's a good chance to teach them some good sportsmanship too!

With so many awesome recommendations flying around, I'm feeling excited to go shopping for my niece's birthday! haha
there's something special about card games that keep them coming back for more! They're like little portable treats that can be whipped out during car rides or while waiting for food at restaurants.
Big Two especially can be quite the thrill and a half! It's a good brainteaser too - counting numbers and keeping track of points.

Floor puzzles with their chunkier pieces are a relief for this mama, less fret about tiny pieces being choked on haha. And the variety these days is impressive, from cute animals to favourite cartoon characters, there's something for every kid! It's fun watching them gather all the same colours or objects, and it teaches them concentration too.

Go wild with that birthday shopping, but beware - it's a slippery slope when you enter the world of kid's toys and books - they're so adorable! You might end up wanting to get one of each 😅😆

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
Yup, puzzle pieces that snap together are oh-so satisfying! And card games are handy and beautiful too - the designs these days are works of art.

I totally agree with you that books with illustrations are a treat not just for kids but also for the adults reading to them. There's so much good stuff out there it's hard to choose! We're spoilt for choice!

I love wooden blocks too! They're so versatile and never seem to go out of fashion. Kids can never get enough of building and knocking down towers, haha!

Sticker books are a great idea as well, they make for excellent rewards for good behaviour or milestones hit - my little cousin loves them!

As for books, I grew up reading Dr Seuss and Roald Dahl. They're such fun reads with quirky characters and imagination-sparking plots - never fail to bring a smile to my face even now! There's just something about them that keeps you engaged till the very end.

200.gif

Ooh ya, can't forget about card games! They're like portable fun you can whip out anywhere. Big Two is a big favourite around here too - keeps everyone on their toes trying to remember all the numbers and points.

Floor puzzles are great; I find myself breathing a silent sigh of relief when I see those chunky pieces too haha! Less stressy plus they do teach the little ones some good ol' concentration.

Board games are a blast as well and a great way to get everyone together. Those classic board games are timeless for a reason - they're fun!! And yup, they do wonders in teaching kids about healthy competition.

The satisfaction of completing a puzzle is also something else! And you're right about the cute factor - hard to resist buying them all! 😅

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
Ooh ya, can't forget about card games! They're like portable fun you can whip out anywhere. Big Two is a big favourite around here too - keeps everyone on their toes trying to remember all the numbers and points.

Floor puzzles are great; I find myself breathing a silent sigh of relief when I see those chunky pieces too haha! Less stressy plus they do teach the little ones some good ol' concentration.

Board games are a blast as well and a great way to get everyone together. Those classic board games are timeless for a reason - they're fun!! And yup, they do wonders in teaching kids about healthy competition.

The satisfaction of completing a puzzle is also something else! And you're right about the cute factor - hard to resist buying them all! 😅
Ya, pop-up books are so cool man! Little ones go crazy over those intricate mechanisms and the surprise factor every time a new pop-up appears. It's like a little shock of wonder and joy! Interactive books also never fail to captivate, with all the touch and feel elements - super engaging for kids and even educational. You really can't go wrong with these choices.

Wooden blocks are great. Old school but the shapes and colours never fail to pique a child's curiosity.

The best part about them? They're an open-ended toy. Kids can create anything their imagination cooks up, and if you've got some old fashioned wooden bricks lying around, even better! Recycle, reuse, and let the little ones build their very own fort.

As for books, I'm partial to classic storybooks too. There's a comfort in the familiar when it comes to stories we've grown up with. The language is rich without being overly simplified, and the illustrations are usually lovely. Newer titles can be a bit of a gamble but they're fun to explore too.

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
I totally agree with you on the wooden blocks. They're a classic that never ceases to amuse, and it's amazing how creative kids can get with them. builds their spatial reasoning skills too.

I also love those sticker books with cute animals or favorite cartoon characters. They're great for keeping the little ones busy, and the variety of stickers keeps things exciting!

And how could anyone resist the charm of vintage storybooks with their bright, lively illustrations? They're like little windows to another world, sparking imaginations and inspiring young minds.

For my secret weapon in the book department, I have a soft spot for those interactive storybooks with touchy-feely bits. You know, the ones with different textures and tiny doors to open and close? They're so much fun and make story time extra special!

On the toy front, it's hard to go past good old Lego. The hours of concentration and creativity it encourages are unmatched! And who doesn't love creating mini masterpieces?

These are just a few of my favorites. Can't wait to hear more recs!

Reactions: musical

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu