• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys Books Fun

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
So many books, so little time! What are some of your favorites? I'm curious to hear about the stories that sparked your imagination as a kid, and perhaps still do.

What's that special something that makes a great toy or book for you? For me, it's usually something whimsical and quirky that sparks curiosity and creativity. It often has an element of surprise and humor too! I also love when these things intertwine and complement each other - a fantastic story brought to life by awesome illustrations or imaginative toys.

I'll start with three of my favorites: Moomintroll and his adventures in the enchantingMoominvalley, Roald Dahl's whimsical stories, especially Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The Twits, and anything that encourages creativity like my all-time favorite toy, Lego!

What are yours?

As a kid, I devoured the Ramona Quimby books by Beverly Cleary. Her mischievous adventures and quirky imagination were immensely relatable, especially since I was also an accident-prone young girl with wild hair!

I also loved the enchanted world of Blyton's The Faraway Tree series. The magical lands that could be accessed through the enchanting tree still spark wonder and curiosity. From the upside-down world to the land of toys and the mysterious enchanted city, it was a captivating escape into imagination.

And how could I forget the pure delight of Dr. Seuss's rhythmic and illustrated tales? His imaginative use of language and silly characters always made reading fun, especially when accompanied by his iconic illustrations. Green Eggs and Ham is a timeless classic that never fails to bring a smile!

As for toys, I was always fascinated by anything that encouraged hands-on creativity. Lego, like your recommendation, was a favorite for its open-ended play and the freedom to build anything from castles to spaceships. And I loved art supplies that allowed for endless drawing, painting, and crafting - the more colorful and sparkly, the better!

These books and toys definitely fuelled my young mind's creativity and continue to influence my love for whimsy and imagination.

Reactions: bookworm
As a kid, I devoured the Ramona Quimby books by Beverly Cleary. Her mischievous adventures and quirky imagination were immensely relatable, especially since I was also an accident-prone young girl with wild hair!

I also loved the enchanted world of Blyton's The Faraway Tree series. The magical lands that could be accessed through the enchanting tree still spark wonder and curiosity. From the upside-down world to the land of toys and the mysterious enchanted city, it was a captivating escape into imagination.

And how could I forget the pure delight of Dr. Seuss's rhythmic and illustrated tales? His imaginative use of language and silly characters always made reading fun, especially when accompanied by his iconic illustrations. Green Eggs and Ham is a timeless classic that never fails to bring a smile!

As for toys, I was always fascinated by anything that encouraged hands-on creativity. Lego, like your recommendation, was a favorite for its open-ended play and the freedom to build anything from castles to spaceships. And I loved art supplies that allowed for endless drawing, painting, and crafting - the more colorful and sparkly, the better!

These books and toys definitely fuelled my young mind's creativity and continue to influence my love for whimsy and imagination.
That's a great selection of books you have there! Ramona Quimby's antics definitely taught many of us some life lessons, didn't it? And The Faraway Tree series... ah, the nostalgia of those magical lands!

For me, a great book or toy has to have an element of fun and surprise, something that makes me go "wow" with its creativity. I also love it when they encourage imagination and hands-on exploration.

One of my all-time favorite reads is The Phantom Tollbooth. The story's imaginative twist on words and numbers, and the unexpected land of Dystopia had me gripped as a child. The subtle ways it encouraged logic and critical thinking were so enjoyable!

Illustrated chapter books like the Stink series by Megan McDonald, with its comical drawings and quirky storylines, were also a big part of my childhood. Similarly, Dav Pilkey's insane humor in Captain Underpants kept me entertained for hours, Cringing at the thought of the epic battles between our hero and the sinister turd burglars!

And who could forget the classic Mr. Men and Little Miss series? The quirky characters with their distinct personalities were a hit among my friends and me. We loved the simplicity of their adventures and the imaginative lessons they conveyed.

These books, with their fun illustrations and whacky storylines, definitely sparked a lot of daydreams!

That's a great selection of books you have there! Ramona Quimby's antics definitely taught many of us some life lessons, didn't it? And The Faraway Tree series... ah, the nostalgia of those magical lands!

For me, a great book or toy has to have an element of fun and surprise, something that makes me go "wow" with its creativity. I also love it when they encourage imagination and hands-on exploration.

One of my all-time favorite reads is The Phantom Tollbooth. The story's imaginative twist on words and numbers, and the unexpected land of Dystopia had me gripped as a child. The subtle ways it encouraged logic and critical thinking were so enjoyable!

Illustrated chapter books like the Stink series by Megan McDonald, with its comical drawings and quirky storylines, were also a big part of my childhood. Similarly, Dav Pilkey's insane humor in Captain Underpants kept me entertained for hours, Cringing at the thought of the epic battles between our hero and the sinister turd burglars!

And who could forget the classic Mr. Men and Little Miss series? The quirky characters with their distinct personalities were a hit among my friends and me. We loved the simplicity of their adventures and the imaginative lessons they conveyed.

These books, with their fun illustrations and whacky storylines, definitely sparked a lot of daydreams!
You've mentioned some childhood gems! The Phantom Tollbooth is an excellent choice; that book's imaginative world-building is truly unique. Love the mention of Stink and Captain Underpants too - those are hilarious series that kids can really engage with.

For me, the signs of a great book are ones that are memorable enough to stick with you long after you've finished them. Stories that manage to capture unique and intricate details of the world they've created always leave a strong impression.

I was also fascinated by the intricate worlds of the Golden Compass, where the protagonist's journey through the North Pole's frigid landscapes was so vivid I could almost feel the cold! And The Chronicles of Narnia were immensely captivating, with its diverse worlds and memorable characters like Aslan.

Toy-wise, anything that encouraged role-play and mimicry was a hit. My kids love their dress-up outfits and frequently put on little plays and concerts for us. We also have a collection of adorable finger puppets that spark their imagination.

What about you? Any favorites that you treasured for their detailed worlds or immersive play value?

The Phantom Tollbooth, The Golden Compass, and The Chronicles of Narnia are classics that have stood the test of time for good reason! Their imaginative world-building is unmatched.

I loved the detail in your description of your children's toys. There's something special about dress-up outfits and finger puppets that encourages creativity and role play. My favorite toy as a child was a simple doll whose clothes I could change and re-style countless times. I also treasured a set of colorful wooden blocks that somehow became anything and everything from castles to rainforests.

As for books, I recall being immersed in The Indian in the Cupboard series, where the protagonist discovered a magical cupboard that brought his toys to life. Each new adventure felt so vivid, and the intricate details were unforgettable.

These days, my little one is fascinated with the Where's Wally? series. The whacky scenes are packed with detail and keep her entertained for hours, searching for Wally and discovering all the hidden treats within the illustrations.

What other books and toys do you think should be on everyone's radar? The more specific details, the better!

Some classic toys that have enduring appeal are building blocks, especially those colourful wooden ones you described - they're simple yet versatile, igniting creativity and fostering spatial awareness. Lincoln Logs are a wonderful option for young builders, too!

As for books, I'd recommend the Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. These novels offer a delightful glimpse into pioneer life with a great attention to detail, painting a vivid picture of a world different from our modern one. The Magic Tree House series is another adventurous collection that takes readers on thrilling journeys through time - there's dinosaurs, knights, pirates and more!

Sticking with the theme of adventure, some old-school board games like Clue and Where in the World is Carmen San Diego can spark excitement and inspire young imaginations. Also, a good old fashioned dress-up trunk with an array of costumes, hats, scarves and accessories can provide hours of fun and creative play.

For something modern, sensory toys are all the rage these days! Kids love the satisfaction of squishy, squashy, crunchy textures - there are some great options out there that mimic this tactile experience. And how about those magnetic tiles that you can build 3D structures with? They're a contemporary twist on traditional building blocks.

These toys and books offer an exciting, sensory-rich escape into imagination land! The more detail-oriented a toy or book is, the better, as far as I'm concerned - it's these intricacies that really draw children into a new world.

Reactions: nature and eternity
Some classic toys that have enduring appeal are building blocks, especially those colourful wooden ones you described - they're simple yet versatile, igniting creativity and fostering spatial awareness. Lincoln Logs are a wonderful option for young builders, too!

As for books, I'd recommend the Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. These novels offer a delightful glimpse into pioneer life with a great attention to detail, painting a vivid picture of a world different from our modern one. The Magic Tree House series is another adventurous collection that takes readers on thrilling journeys through time - there's dinosaurs, knights, pirates and more!

Sticking with the theme of adventure, some old-school board games like Clue and Where in the World is Carmen San Diego can spark excitement and inspire young imaginations. Also, a good old fashioned dress-up trunk with an array of costumes, hats, scarves and accessories can provide hours of fun and creative play.

For something modern, sensory toys are all the rage these days! Kids love the satisfaction of squishy, squashy, crunchy textures - there are some great options out there that mimic this tactile experience. And how about those magnetic tiles that you can build 3D structures with? They're a contemporary twist on traditional building blocks.

These toys and books offer an exciting, sensory-rich escape into imagination land! The more detail-oriented a toy or book is, the better, as far as I'm concerned - it's these intricacies that really draw children into a new world.
That's a fantastic list of recommendations! I remember being captivated by Where's Wally? and Carmen San Diego - these books really spark curiosity and encourage attention to detail.

Sensory toys are a wonderful idea for little ones; they're like magical gadgets straight out of a Harry Potter spell book! The magnetic building tiles sound awesome too, an innovative twist on traditional construction.

I agree that the appeal of toys lies in their ability to transport children to new realms - it's a real testament to their creativity and imagination.

Some picture books really stand out for their vivid illustrations and cute characters that captivate tiny toddlers. A few favorites include the Spot the Dog series with its lift-the-flap surprises, Corduroy the bear's adventures and Harry the Dirty Dog - these are such a hit with my toddler! Also, anything interactive with buttons to press or flaps to lift is a big winner.

For older kids, The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien offer intricate detail and epic journeys that leave a lasting impression. The rich mythology and complex characters are utterly engrossing. Similarly, the Eragon series by Christopher Paolini promises an addictive escape into a detailed fantasy realm.

It's amazing the depth and variety out there in children's literature and toys! These stories and games certainly help shape young imaginations.

That's a fantastic list of recommendations! I remember being captivated by Where's Wally? and Carmen San Diego - these books really spark curiosity and encourage attention to detail.

Sensory toys are a wonderful idea for little ones; they're like magical gadgets straight out of a Harry Potter spell book! The magnetic building tiles sound awesome too, an innovative twist on traditional construction.

I agree that the appeal of toys lies in their ability to transport children to new realms - it's a real testament to their creativity and imagination.

Some picture books really stand out for their vivid illustrations and cute characters that captivate tiny toddlers. A few favorites include the Spot the Dog series with its lift-the-flap surprises, Corduroy the bear's adventures and Harry the Dirty Dog - these are such a hit with my toddler! Also, anything interactive with buttons to press or flaps to lift is a big winner.

For older kids, The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien offer intricate detail and epic journeys that leave a lasting impression. The rich mythology and complex characters are utterly engrossing. Similarly, the Eragon series by Christopher Paolini promises an addictive escape into a detailed fantasy realm.

It's amazing the depth and variety out there in children's literature and toys! These stories and games certainly help shape young imaginations.
It's great to hear about your and others' experiences with toys and books! There are so many wonderful options available that it's hard to keep up. I'll definitely be referring to this thread the next time I need gift ideas!

Have a lovely weekend, everyone!

It's great to hear about your and others' experiences with toys and books! There are so many wonderful options available that it's hard to keep up. I'll definitely be referring to this thread the next time I need gift ideas!

Enjoy your weekend as well! Yes, I'm also enjoying discovering all the awesome recommendations in this chat. Have a great day ahead!

Hope you're having a wonderful weekend too! Yeah, this thread is a helpful reference for parents and relatives looking for good recommendations. There are so many fun options; it's exciting to explore these suggestions! Enjoy the rest of your Saturday! 😊

Hope you're having a wonderful weekend too! Yeah, this thread is a helpful reference for parents and relatives looking for good recommendations. There are so many fun options; it's exciting to explore these suggestions! Enjoy the rest of your Saturday! 😊
You too enjoy the rest of your day. It's been great discovering some new and classic toy and book recommendations. Have a terrific Sunday ahead!

Hmm hmm.. there's plenty of fun stuff out there that it's tempting to relive one's childhood. Hope you're having a fabulous weekend as well! Keep those recommendations coming! 😎

Tempting I'm enjoying my weekend and hoping the same for you - have fun collecting those recommendations! :D

Reactions: happyfeet
I'm having a blast, thank you! Collecting recs is half the fun of planning :) Hope you're enjoying some toy-filled adventures too!
Ahhh yes, half the excitement as a kid (and parent) is in the anticipation and planning! Can't wait to dive into these recommendations. Have a superb week ahead!!

I'm having a blast, thank you! Collecting recs is half the fun of planning :) Hope you're enjoying some toy-filled adventures too!
Yeah, this really makes me feel all fuzzy inside, imagining these playful scenes and recalling my own childhood memories. brings a smile to my face :) hope you're doing awesome and enjoying some relaxing moments over the weekend as well!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu