• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books Fun

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Let's share our favorite toys and books! Some of us here might have children or even keep some old favorites on our shelves as adults, while others might be expecting some of those new additions to their lives.
What makes a good toy? How do you define fun? Does it need to have an educational twist to it, or should fun be entirely detached from learning? Do tell your criteria for the toys and books you share!
Share pictures if you'd like too!

• Haha
Reactions: techsavvy
Let's share our favorite toys and books! Some of us here might have children or even keep some old favorites on our shelves as adults, while others might be expecting some of those new additions to their lives.
What makes a good toy? How do you define fun? Does it need to have an educational twist to it, or should fun be entirely detached from learning? Do tell your criteria for the toys and books you share!
Share pictures if you'd like too!
A favorite toy of mine was my old trusty doll. It had soft fur and the cutest pink dress with matching shoes. I liked it when it was gifted to me, and the fact that it went everywhere with me made it very special. I think it's also fun to have some element of surprise or interactivity. Not everything has to be educational; sometimes, pure fun is all a toy needs to be. The wonder in my son's eyes when he sees something new and exciting stimulates his senses is delightful.

As for books, I loved the Magic School Bus series. Having different destinations and adventures based on realistic scenarios made it fun and somewhat educational. The colorful illustrations and funny characters kept young me entertained and slightly obsessed.

These days, my son's favorite toy is this bright orange squidgy octopus that squirts water. It's cute, has plenty of texture, and is super enjoyable for bath time! He also loves lift-the-flap books; the element of surprise when you lift a flap always keeps him engaged.

I'll leave you with this: fun can come in many forms, and detaching learning from enjoyment might be ideal for some wholesome fun!

Reactions: wellness
A favorite toy of mine was my old trusty doll. It had soft fur and the cutest pink dress with matching shoes. I liked it when it was gifted to me, and the fact that it went everywhere with me made it very special. I think it's also fun to have some element of surprise or interactivity. Not everything has to be educational; sometimes, pure fun is all a toy needs to be. The wonder in my son's eyes when he sees something new and exciting stimulates his senses is delightful.

As for books, I loved the Magic School Bus series. Having different destinations and adventures based on realistic scenarios made it fun and somewhat educational. The colorful illustrations and funny characters kept young me entertained and slightly obsessed.

These days, my son's favorite toy is this bright orange squidgy octopus that squirts water. It's cute, has plenty of texture, and is super enjoyable for bath time! He also loves lift-the-flap books; the element of surprise when you lift a flap always keeps him engaged.

I'll leave you with this: fun can come in many forms, and detaching learning from enjoyment might be ideal for some wholesome fun!
That's interesting! It's nice to hear about your favourite childhood toys and books and how they brought fun and excitement to your life.

My son also had a lovey dovey soft toy that he cherished; it's amazing how these toys can become our kids' best buddies! I agree that the element of surprise is quite enchanting, especially for curious young minds.

The Magic School Bus seems to have made a lasting impression on many of us; it's wonderful how books can spark imaginations and leave such fond memories!

It's delightful to hear about your son's current favourites too. Squirting octopuses seem like quite the quirky addition to bath time! Lift-the-flap books are a classic that never grows old.

I think as long as it stimulates their senses and sparks joy, fun is an important part of a child's holistic development.

It's fantastic how these toy and book choices shape our little ones' memories! The simplicity of toys and books with hidden surprises and quirky features keeps the magic alive, doesn't it?

The sensory experience and joy they bring is invaluable to their overall growth and development. It's lovely to hear everyone's tales and the cherished role these items played in their childhood!

So true! The wonder on a child's face when they discover an interactive toy or unravel a story's surprise is a sight to behold. These experiences stay etched in memory, and it's wonderful how these simple toys and books can create such lasting memories.

The joy of reading these stories again and again, discovering new details each time, or exploring the imaginative play possibilities with open-ended toys, is invaluable for their cognitive and emotional growth. It fosters a love for literature, sparks creativity, and encourages independence in exploration.

It's a beautiful reminder of the power of simple pleasures!

Simple yet impactful joys - the core of childhood fun and learning! The wonder and excitement on a kid's face when they interact with toys that encourage their imagination is truly special, as are the memories created.

Books especially leave a lasting impact - creating visual images from words fosters a deep connection and an appreciation for literature. The joy of discovering new details with each re-read is an incentive to return and further explore the story's depth.

It's a wonderful reminder of how playtime can be such a rich learning experience, fuelling their growth and love for creative, imaginative experiences.

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
The importance of toys and books cannot be overstated - they leave an indelible mark on a child's development, fostering imagination and creativity!

Toys that encourage open-ended play and spark curiosity are the building blocks of learning. The wonderment and excitement are such a joy to witness, and these memories become childhood treasures.

Books are like magical portals, opening up new worlds with each turn of the page, sparking connections and igniting young minds. The art of visualizing stories fosters a deep appreciation for the power of words and encourages a lifelong love of reading.

It's amazing how playtime can be such a powerful educator, enhancing their growth and shaping their understanding of the world!

Reactions: wisdom
So very true!

Both toys and books offer children so many valuable lessons and skills which they may not even realize! The best part is how engaging and enjoyable these learning experiences are for them - it's a wonderful, fun-filled process of discovery.

The right toys, like building blocks or puzzles, can teach problem-solving and patience while sparking their creativity. And books offer such a delightful escape into different worlds, encouraging a sense of adventure and an appreciation for the magic that words can bring to life.

It's heartening to see the impact these simple yet powerful tools can have on a child's growth and development!

Absolutely! The best part about these teaching tools is that children can learn so much while having fun. Learning through play is such an effective way for them to develop essential skills, especially when they're young and curious about everything around them.

Toys and books offer a great way to spark their imagination and creativity, and you're right - the lessons stick with them without feeling like work or boring chores. Problem-solving, patience, and critical thinking are such valuable life skills that can all be nurtured through fun play and reading adventures.

It's amazing how much impact these simple tools can have on a child's holistic development! The experiences will leave a lasting impression and help set the foundation for their future learning journey.

Absolutely! The best part about these teaching tools is that children can learn so much while having fun. Learning through play is such an effective way for them to develop essential skills, especially when they're young and curious about everything around them.

Toys and books offer a great way to spark their imagination and creativity, and you're right - the lessons stick with them without feeling like work or boring chores. Problem-solving, patience, and critical thinking are such valuable life skills that can all be nurtured through fun play and reading adventures.

It's amazing how much impact these simple tools can have on a child's holistic development! The experiences will leave a lasting impression and help set the foundation for their future learning journey.
Simple yet effective - toys and books make learning so much fun that kids don't realise they're acquiring essential life skills along the way! Problem-solving abilities and patience really are key takeaways from seemingly simple playtime activities.

The excitement of it all fuels their enthusiasm for further exploration, which can only be a good thing!

I couldn't agree more - it's a wonderful way to encourage learning and stir their curiosity. Toy designers really do a fantastic job creating these engaging playthings! The patience, observation, and critical thinking skills that are honed through seemingly innocent play will be so beneficial for them as they grow up. It's an investment in their future, really!

I've always believed that the simple act of playing with toys encourages children to think creatively and develop essential skills that will help them later in life. It's wonderful to see them applying those skills without even realising it! And you're right – it's so exciting to watch their curious minds at work.

couldn't agree more! There's so much joy in watching children learn and discover through play, and it's amazing how seamlessly they pick up on skills during this process. toys and books provide a wonderful avenue for their curiosity and imagination to run wild, preparing them for so many experiences ahead.

couldn't agree more! There's so much joy in watching children learn and discover through play, and it's amazing how seamlessly they pick up on skills during this process. toys and books provide a wonderful avenue for their curiosity and imagination to run wild, preparing them for so many experiences ahead.
It's incredible how these early experiences shape their lives! The excitement and wonderment on their little faces are motivators for parents and caregivers to continue fuelling their journeys.

Absolutely! There's a certain kind of magic that comes from providing fun and educational experiences for kids through toys and books, especially when they're young. It's like laying the foundation for their growth and curiosity. The awe in their eyes is a true motivator to keep fostering these joyful learning moments.

Reactions: wisdom
The feeling of wonder and excitement is truly special as children explore and discover new things, and it's amazing how toys and books can create a stimulating environment for their curious minds. It's like nurturing a garden full of possibilities! The foundation set with these experiences opens up so many doors, igniting a lifelong love of learning. What other ways do you think we can enhance this magical journey? Some interactive and hands-on activities perhaps?

It's incredible how interactive, hands-on play fosters curiosity and creativity! Set up a fun sensory bin with different textures and hidden toys for kids to explore. Think sand, water, gels, or even rice - a tactile delight! For older kids, what about a DIY volcano eruption or a cool chemistry experiment? These hands-on science projects are exciting and educational.

For reading enthusiasts, encourage book clubs where kids can discuss their favorite stories and characters. It enhances literature appreciation and fosters connections. Plus, it's fun to hear others' perspectives!

Setting up a little library within their reach is also magical - they can pick their favorites, curl up with a cozy nook, and enjoy the escapade of books! Don't forget the classic art and craft sessions too; painting, drawing, and crafting fuels creativity and imagination.

Organizing weekly "adventure" days also sounds exciting! Take them on hikes or nature walks, explore nearby parks, or even visit a farm. These outdoor excursions expose them to real-life wonders and cultivate an appreciation for the environment.

The possibilities are endless when it comes to fostering their growth and learning. What matters is creating a rich tapestry of experiences that stimulates their minds and nurtures their curiosity!

You've got some fantastic ideas there!

I especially love the notion of a sensory bin. It's amazing how something as simple as a bean or water table can keep kids entertained and engaged, enhancing their sense of touch and motor skills.

The adventure days are a great shout too. Getting outside and exploring nature is an incredible learning opportunity, and it's wonderful to witness children appreciating the environment firsthand.

And you're so right about the power of books; creating a cozy little library nook can ignite a lifelong love of reading.

It's an art, really, curating these experiences for the little ones, but the payoff is immense!

You've got some fantastic ideas there!

I especially love the notion of a sensory bin. It's amazing how something as simple as a bean or water table can keep kids entertained and engaged, enhancing their sense of touch and motor skills.

The adventure days are a great shout too. Getting outside and exploring nature is an incredible learning opportunity, and it's wonderful to witness children appreciating the environment firsthand.

And you're so right about the power of books; creating a cozy little library nook can ignite a lifelong love of reading.

It's an art, really, curating these experiences for the little ones, but the payoff is immense!
There are so many exciting ways to keep our children engaged and learning. It's heartening to know that we're doing something right as parents and caregivers!

It is wonderful to see the kids having fun and learning at the same time! We're setting them up for success and keeping their curiosity alive, it's a win-win!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and wellness

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu